City Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

City Center

Postby lordmoke » October 9th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Didn't see a thread for this abomination, so I thought I'd start one with this news:

http://www.startribune.com/business/173416501.html

Hopefully this increases the chances of a renovation, but I'm not holding my breath.

John
Capella Tower

Re: City Center

Postby John » October 10th, 2012, 12:16 am

The new owners must see some potential in this property. It's in the heart of our downtown and skyway system. But I'm not sure they realize what a negative public image City Center has with many in our community. I have never met anyone who doesn't describe this complex as "ugly"or "a monstrosity". And I wonder if the new owners were given a tour of the 7th and Nicollet area to view the thugs hanging out against the boarded up entrance at the intersection? Must be a big selling point for this property! :? I guess my biggest hope is they will dramatically redo the exterior along Nicollet Mall. This is one of the most important improvements that could be made to rejuvenate Nicollet Mall.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 10th, 2012, 2:10 am

^ try not to be to positive! :lol:

I was surprised they are 83% Occupied I thought I remember seeing more empty retail space! Also does anyone know why Office Depot doesn't open the doors from the corner? Even if they had them unlocked for limited hours I think it would be a great improvement! I have a lot of mixed feeling about city center I want to love it, but I just can't get there. Marshalls is a neat place. That and Im not sure how to even get to the Office Depot. The downstairs is so empty I get the impression I shouldn't be down there.

Also I really don't see a point of a City Center redesign if they don't make spaces like Office Depot use there doors! The phase Lipstick on a Pig rings a bell... :roll: I just think if the current design were to use the actual doors they board up or don't use off of Nicollet Ave then most of us would be satisfied enough. Of course the bus stop is a different issue.

Even if the new owners plan for a huge massive redesign, I have a fantasy of the new owners being surrounded by the press with shiny lights and camera in there faces! and one reporter yells "Mr Blank, ...what do you plan to do about residents claims that the site is not interactive with the current design of the street along Nicollet Mall" ...and after a few seconds of silence they replay (in a voice that can imply they are think the phase you got to be kidding me!)

...Um were gonna open up the doors that are boarded up and not used along Nicollet Ave... and were gonna see how that goes :|

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 10th, 2012, 8:43 am

Can't believe they sunk 15 million into that thing in '05.
Towns!

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » October 10th, 2012, 9:11 am

The renovation saw the food court on the 3rd floor close, and converted into offices, I believe. They were also able to attract Brooks Brothers, Len, Au Bon Pain, Fogo, and Rosa Mexicano. Certainly on par with IDS and Gaviidae.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 10th, 2012, 9:33 am

The 3rd floor conversion makes sense. Did they do anything to the 2nd floor at that time?
Towns!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 10th, 2012, 9:36 am

83% occupied does not mean the retail, they are talking about the building as a whole. They use the same gimmick with the West End touting their 98% occupied rate, but about half their retail is still empty. As for the mall itself, it was quite mice before MOA opened. It had lots of National brand retail stores and quite a bit of activity. The renovation really seemed to suck the life from the interior of the mall.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 10th, 2012, 9:38 am

The entire space, except the granite floors and the skylight, were renovated.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 10th, 2012, 9:49 am

Thought this was in interesting tidbit from the article:

The 583-room Marriott City Center is on the site, but only the land under the hotel is included in the deal. The Marriott's lease expires in 2036, and the hotel recently completed a $30 million renovation.

That could be a tricky lease negotiation... don't see that Marriott has a lot of negotiating power there. "If you hike my rent by too much, I'm going to pick up my hotel and go elsewhere."

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 10th, 2012, 9:55 am

There have been some good retail tenants brought into the complex which has slightly improved the Hennepin Ave side . However, the landlords never want to truly address the core problem of the complex which is the terrible design of the exterior. It justifiably has a poor image and reputation in our community. City Center does have some good qualities. The biggest positive is its location in the heart of downtown and the skyway system. I think if the new owners spent some serious money to remodel the complex, it could become a stellar property and real asset to the vitality of downtown.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » October 10th, 2012, 12:25 pm

It would be nice if Shorenstein Properties would reclad the 33 S. Sixth tower in silver or light blue. It's really an eyesore.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 10th, 2012, 1:21 pm

It would be nice if Shorenstein Properties would reclad the 33 S. Sixth tower in silver or light blue. It's really an eyesore.
Yes, and create more of a crown or flourish at the top as the building meets the sky. Recladding older skyscrapers is becoming more common as a way to dramatically update and improve the look of a building. It could certainly be done with this building.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 10th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Here's a before photo, then an after pic (rendering) of what a Hong Kong tower will look like when the facade is reclad. Quite a nice improvement. The building before its renovation looked very similar to the 33 South Sixth building. Before:

After rendering: ( the building in the center of the photo)

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » October 10th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Yeah, that would definitely help. The square black windows need to brighten up. Here's my poor attempt:

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » October 10th, 2012, 3:25 pm

That must cost a fortune... It sure would be great!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 10th, 2012, 4:42 pm

I think one of the biggest problems visually with the tower is that it is more solid than glass in our very glassy skyline. I also don't think that the window proportions give the building a good aesthetic. It looks so squat and broad and bulky. I put about 10 minutes, and a bunch of tinted glass/pollished granite (i.e. sharpie) into this, and it's a first draft (could be improved), but you can see that just by grouping the windows together better it could massively enhance the buildings aesthetic and probably not cost as much as re-cladding the entire building. I mean if not polished granite, they could even stain the exposed aggregate in these sections to get this affect. It could be done dirt cheap.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » October 10th, 2012, 5:00 pm

I think that looks too busy.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » October 10th, 2012, 6:35 pm

I don't mind the tower at all. If it was proposed/built today I'd be thoroughly disappointed, but plain and simple towers help the others stand out. Skylines need variety. City Center, on the other hand, is an abomination. It needs to be gutted, flipped inside out, and given the facelift of the century. It KILLS streetlife in that area.
Last edited by Konante on October 10th, 2012, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 10th, 2012, 8:32 pm

I don't mind the tower at all. If it was proposed/built today I'd be thoroughly disappointed, but plain and simple towers help the others stand out. Skyline's need variety. City Center, on the other hand, is an abomination. It needs to be gutted, flipped inside out, and given the facelift of the century. It KILLS streetlife in that area.
The only street life it attracts are those silly thug "wannabees" at 7th and Nicollet. I agree that the lower levels are the most important components of the complex to renovate. A total opening up of the space so it's almost completely transparent on the street level. The reclad of the tower is a secondary priority, but I would love for it to happen!

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » October 11th, 2012, 8:13 am

Agreed. The tower is one of my least favorites, but I would hate this whole complex a lot less if the 3 story retail portion didn't look like something straight out of East Berlin from the outside. I think the tower is a good filler building and a tall one at that. And thank God we only have one of them in Minneapolis.