City Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: City Center

Postby amiller92 » October 12th, 2015, 2:29 pm

Visited today too. Generally positive impression and made a point of buying something.

A little disappointed in the relative lack of biking stuff, though. Like, it's October in Minnesota, don't you think you should offer some gloves with fingers?

But maybe I'm just annoyed that the gloves I ordered on Amazon are apparently on the slow boat from China.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 22nd, 2015, 9:53 am

There seems to be some construction happening in the retail space next to GNC. I'm watching construction workers walk in and out and there is plastic covering the windows.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 22nd, 2015, 2:58 pm

I went to Sports Authority last Sunday. Was impressed at the size of the store for downtown. It looks great and I hope it sticks around.

City Center really still needs a facade treatment though. These two new storefronts are not going to be enough.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 22nd, 2015, 3:06 pm

A facade change would be nice, but I don't think that Shorenstein is the owner that will do that. I think that they are more looking to get something in there and then flip and sale the thing. When they bought the place I had heard such good things that they would do, but I think they changed their minds once they saw what they were truly up against. I think they bought the place mainly for the cash flow of the tower portion. They were not looking to sink in a large sum of money to upgrade the retail portion, on the outside at least. We can hope that they can get some more retail space filled at least.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby mnmike » January 25th, 2016, 2:25 pm

They finally seem to be doing some more work in the Off Fifth space in City Center...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 25th, 2016, 2:45 pm

They finally seem to be doing some more work in the Off Fifth space in City Center...
Probably trying to get it open for part of the spring seasonal sales and for sure the summer when they will probably sell a lot more clothes than the winter stuff.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 8th, 2016, 9:10 am

Happy to see they have taken a big chunk of wall out over the door of the new Off Fifth space on the 2nd floor. Hopefully they open up those street level windows too.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 22nd, 2016, 9:28 am

I see GNC has relocated next to UPS in City Center, so I assume their old space will become that new restaurant, as to keep the food all in a row...

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » March 2nd, 2016, 8:07 am

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » March 2nd, 2016, 9:07 am

Well, Sports Authority filed chapter 11 and is closing 140 stores and two distribution centers....

http://www.startribune.com/sports-autho ... 370772161/

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » March 2nd, 2016, 10:10 am

Yikes. Please don't tell me Nicollet's location will close or be budget down-monikered to Sports Strap Rack or something.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 2nd, 2016, 10:38 am

I'm going to have to find some things to buy there.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 2nd, 2016, 1:37 pm

Deep breaths everyone...

Don’t expect Dick’s to bail out Sports Authority in Minnesota
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ority.html
*LOCKED*

Big note:

Englewood, Colo.-based Sports Authority has eight Twin Cities-area stores, but none are on the sporting goods retailer's unofficial closure list, according to a source who saw the list and requested anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss it.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 2nd, 2016, 1:39 pm

Yikes. Please don't tell me Nicollet's location will close or be budget down-monikered to Sports Strap Rack or something.
Don’t expect Dick’s to bail out Sports Authority in Minnesota
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ority.html
*LOCKED*

Big note:

Englewood, Colo.-based Sports Authority has eight Twin Cities-area stores, but none are on the sporting goods retailer's unofficial closure list, according to a source who saw the list and requested anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss it.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 2nd, 2016, 1:56 pm

This is a chapter 11 and not a chapter 7 bankruptcy. This gives them time to shed under performing stores in dying malls, Get their act together and figure out how they plan on dealing with digital sales, see if there is a a private equity firm that wants to take a stab at running a sporting good company. As HiawathaGuy stated, none of the MN stores are affected as far as closing right now. Companies are in and out of bankruptcy all the time. Some go in once and come out strong, others don't get their s##t together and are in and out a few times over the years.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 2nd, 2016, 2:00 pm

This is chapter 11 not 7, reorganizing vs liquidating. If it were chapter 7 then you could start S**tting bricks. Until then chill out and them them reorganize.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 2nd, 2016, 2:21 pm

Not sure if it's change of seasons or what, but a bunch of empty racks aren't a great look on the day you announce bankruptcy.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 2nd, 2016, 2:46 pm

Probably because vendors were not going to send them anymore merchandise until they did something to get themselves into some sort of court ordered reorganization where the vendors feel like they will have a better chance to get something back if they go under. That is bankruptcy 101, have dealt with it at one of the places that I used to work. Vendors want some sort of hope to get part of their money back. With the court appointed receivers they have a much better chance of that, and we know where the remaining assets are being spent.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » March 2nd, 2016, 5:19 pm

And some go in with a chapter 11, can't work anything out, and convert to a chapter 7 after a few months.

here's lookin' at you, Circuit City

(former employee who left in 2004)
Urbanist in the north woods

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » March 3rd, 2016, 9:54 am

According to the list on Business Insider, the Rochester location is closing, but that's the only Minnesota one currently scheduled to close.