City Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: City Center

Postby MNdible » March 5th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Note that the rendering shown in the article is quite a bit different that the one from the leasing brochure above.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 5th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Leasing Brochure:

MSP Biz Journals article:

I'd guess the leasing brochure version was done purely for artistic/promotional purposes. The caption on the second image is "This is one of several "aspirational" options that City Center's management is considering for the downtown building."

So basically, both should be taken with a massive grain of salt. I've said it before, but I would absolutely support some tax abatement or TIF or whatever it takes to get the Nicollet frontage of this building right. If we can spend $50MM on Nicollet Mall, we can spend a couple million more (via abatement or whatever) to ensure that this renovation is done right, and isn't just a coat of paint.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 5th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Is one... better?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 6th, 2019, 11:53 am

A couple snippets from the MSP Business Journal article:

*Renovation is definitely happening, possibly as soon as this summer/fall
*The images above are "really aspirational at this point"
*owner (Samsung) has yet to approve a set budget for improvements

So let's hope that Ryan Cos (who is the property manager and presumably would be the contractor for improvements) comes up with something great and is able to sell it to Samsung.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » March 6th, 2019, 7:46 pm

to me it looks like lipstick on a pig... better still but not by much. I guess I'd be more excited if that lipstick covered the full face. Yes, paint the concrete tower a darker gray, have floors where it's lighter gray like how the IDS center has it's black "belt". Or a modern mix colors that helps soften the impact. I'm no expert but surely somebody can create a paint scheme that could make it a touch less depressing? Then a bit more substance on a low budget of course. Maybe a few lighting elements or building enhancements like touches of more glass, maybe a new top like what Marq 4 was planned to have had. Not sure but would like to see some renderings...

Also if any of ya are any good at those walking on water and performing miracles in design if you want to create a color scheme to make City Center tower less offensive as it is now it would be really neat see.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » March 6th, 2019, 8:21 pm

As O&M said this is just lipstick on a pig and realistically we are never going to get rid if this pig of a tower. What I'm wondering is if would be possible to tear down the podium part of the building between the office tower and Nicollet and the ramp between the tower and Hennepin then replace them with something about 500x better? Clearly you would have to work something out with the Marriott I'm not sure how doable that is. It would reduce the terrible street frontage down to the roughly 200 feet of the tower lobby that faces 6th, which is probably the best frontage currently.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 7th, 2019, 10:50 am

Wait, they're renovating the tower? Or the shopping center (for lack of a better descriptor)?

Don't care at all about the tower. I care about the terrible, inward-facing shorter structure and parking ramp.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 7th, 2019, 11:16 am

C'mon, the tower just needs some RGB LED lighting.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 7th, 2019, 11:30 am

The tower is just fine as is.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » April 19th, 2019, 4:05 pm

C'mon, the tower just needs some RGB LED lighting.
I've mentioned this on the Skyscrapercity forum, but for the last few weeks there has clearly been a lighting test going on the west side of the tower. Color-changing LEDs are tucked into the narrow strip just below the parapet along two of the window bays.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » July 18th, 2019, 1:10 am

Word is renovations will commence this month and wrap up by October.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 1st, 2019, 11:12 am

Official announcement of the renovation, with a teaser that they'll be announcing three new tenants for that corner in the coming weeks.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MplsErik
City Center

Postby MplsErik » August 1st, 2019, 11:28 am

Official announcement of the renovation, with a teaser that they'll be announcing three new tenants for that corner in the coming weeks.
Disappointed to see it's only the corner, not the whole Nicollet side. While the rendering of the corner looks promising, it sure mismatches the rest of the facade.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 1st, 2019, 11:40 am

Maaaaaybe, if they do the facade remodel in chunks, it'll end up looking less monolithic?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 1st, 2019, 11:46 am

If they spruced up all the entrances that might work. It would be nice if the midblock Nicollet one didn't look like you were entering a cave.

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » August 1st, 2019, 12:12 pm

Any predictions for the three new tenants?

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » August 1st, 2019, 1:47 pm

TJ Maxx, Burlington, and Ross. ;)

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » August 1st, 2019, 2:13 pm

TJ Maxx, Burlington, and Ross. ;)
lol! I'd be just fine with that!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 1st, 2019, 2:16 pm

I'm hoping they're all on the ground floor, and they're breaking that spot into three rather than continuing to hope for a downsized big box to come in and not fail right away.

I'm wondering what the plan is with the patio on the second floor. It's a cool idea, but isn't that whole corner filled with Brooks Brothers? Can't see what they'd want with a patio, or even windows, really.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » August 1st, 2019, 2:27 pm

It’s hard to imagine anything short of a minor nuclear detonation really helping this sad monument to architectural bad taste. I can understand the heavy landing of the tower on sixth street - the entry is consistent with the weighty but highly textured face of the tower. The tower is uninspired, but not nearly as offensive as the massive, super block podium, the worst part of that being the dismal, dirty pink Mall side. I’m not sure that this face of the podium could be redeemed even if they stripped the entire existing facade and started over. I suspect the heavy support structure would still have a negative effect on the outcome. The teaser drawings further back up this thread don’t give me much hope. Lipstick on a very dirty pig comes to mind.