Minneapolis Armory

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Minneapolis Armory

Postby grant1simons2 » July 2nd, 2015, 1:54 pm

Finally bought for $6 million by Ned Abdul? Shea design will be doing the interior design for it!? If this doesn't make you excited that a historical building is being re-purposed from being technically "surface parking", then I don't know what will. Time to run some more pedestrian connection plans by the city. Being able to easily get from the park to a concert should be easy!

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » July 2nd, 2015, 2:33 pm

Nice! Shea does such great work - can't wait to see some plans. I'd think there would be many benefits to this being finished before the Super Bowl.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » July 2nd, 2015, 3:39 pm

Can't wait for this, any investment that will restore this and bring it up to code opens up so many uses in the future. In an ideal world I'd say this needs 3 things done to it, none of which may fly because of historic preservation rules.
1. A skyway connection from the HCMC Campus to the government center ramp and the rest of the system.
2. Extend the skylights on the side facing the commons all the way down to ground level
3. construct a grand pedestrian entrance facing 5th and the park.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 2nd, 2015, 4:01 pm

Time to run some more pedestrian connection plans by the city. Being able to easily get from the park to a concert should be easy!
If the Armory isn't parking, is there any reason to have that block of 5th St. remain open to cars? Presumably it could be laid out so the loading docks use any of the other three streets.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 2nd, 2015, 4:23 pm

Thats exactly what my plans were last year. Closing that section of 5th off to cars and making it a bike/ped connection that flows in and out from the armory to the park.

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » July 2nd, 2015, 7:07 pm

Can't wait for this, any investment that will restore this and bring it up to code opens up so many uses in the future. In an ideal world I'd say this needs 3 things done to it, none of which may fly because of historic preservation rules.
1. A skyway connection from the HCMC Campus to the government center ramp and the rest of the system.
2. Extend the skylights on the side facing the commons all the way down to ground level
3. construct a grand pedestrian entrance facing 5th and the park.

There was a tidbit of information released from the vikings a while back that suggested such a skyway connection. In the url description it suggested the segment would be connected by tunnel. Would that be realistic in this portion of downtown to make a tunnel connection if a skyway would upset the preservation rules?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 2nd, 2015, 9:08 pm

It could happen. City Hall has tunnels to the Hennepin County Government Center and the Federal Courthouse for just that reason. I don't think that the parking ramp across 5th has a basement, though, does it?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » July 3rd, 2015, 9:52 am

The Haff Ramp is connected to the tunnels.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 3rd, 2015, 1:24 pm

Is the ramp its self connected to the tunnels, or just that the ramp is connected to the Grain exchange which is connected to the tunnels?

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » July 3rd, 2015, 2:31 pm

Is the ramp its self connected to the tunnels, or just that the ramp is connected to the Grain exchange which is connected to the tunnels?

The ramp itself. Take the elevator or stairs to the basement and you can take it to the Federal Courthouse.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 6th, 2015, 8:49 am

Thats exactly what my plans were last year. Closing that section of 5th off to cars and making it a bike/ped connection that flows in and out from the armory to the park.
Oh my god. I don't understand you people...there will be PILES of dead bodies in the Mill District if every street isn't a thoroughfare for ambulances!

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » July 6th, 2015, 1:54 pm

Couldn't they close it all the way from Chicago to 3rd without having to much impact? Also would it be possible around like the US Bank Plaza to switch the sidewalks into access roads (both a one way. Entrance from 2nd Exit from 3rd) then using the existing roadway as a walkway/bikeway and still keeping the south sidewalk too. That might be a way to greatly push to turning the roadway into a carfree thorofare.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 6th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Arch, don't clump a big group of people together just because they all believe in urban well being. My concept is wide enough to allow emergency vehicles though.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 6th, 2015, 2:10 pm

Preeeeety sure he was joking.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 6th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Even better example of what can be done on 5th and even Portland

https://youtu.be/QSOxRiq1cSE?t=13s

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 6th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Even better example of what can be done on 5th and even Portland

https://youtu.be/QSOxRiq1cSE?t=13s
I was "joking"...my pessimistic side reared its very ugly head (again). Of COURSE this should be closed to car traffic but I can already hear the complaints of whoever owns this piece of road that it "isn't feasible" because <insert completely bullsh1t car related sticking point here>.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » July 7th, 2015, 6:57 am

I had a dream where the park would slope up as it went west and then cross 5th to come right up to the armory entrance. You could use the slope to cross Portland too and have a natural pedestrian flow with a gentle grade all the way from the light rail station.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 20th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Huh. Looks like work has already begun. Grinding and sanding away!

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » July 21st, 2015, 6:41 pm

It'd be nice if Ned Abdul finishes this project. Can we get an update on why his project on N 3rd St in the north loop has been stalled for a year?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 21st, 2015, 8:46 pm

It'd be nice if Ned Abdul finishes this project. Can we get an update on why his project on N 3rd St in the north loop has been stalled for a year?
My guess there is a partnership or divorce suit that is possibly going on and tying it up in court.. It seems that about the time he was taking on this project he had some other issues going on. This is only my guess from what little I remember about that time period now.