Valspar Expansion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Valspar Expansion

Postby lordmoke » January 1st, 2013, 2:20 pm

They've started on this. Equipment and a trailer are on site, and it looks like they've started taking out the old windows.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » January 3rd, 2013, 12:30 pm

I know several people above mentioned that the mural on the building needs to be removed- my question is does that mean the entire mural will be taken down? Or just a section? That mural is one of my favorite things in that neighborhood- it is so unique and would be a huge shame if they were forced to remove their signature design element...

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 3rd, 2013, 1:03 pm

I believe they will pursue historic tax credits, which means restoring it to a certain time period, likely before the 1970s mural.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 3rd, 2013, 1:08 pm

It's called 'Demoliton' by Peter Busa. Painted in 1973 while he was a studio resident at the U of M. It likely could garner it's own protection.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 3rd, 2013, 1:14 pm

It's called 'Demoliton' by Peter Busa. Painted in 1973 while he was a studio resident at the U of M. It likely could garner it's own protection.
I completely agree with you, however, as our self professed masonry expert, painting brick is about the worst thing you can do to it.(edit*there are really specialized masonry paints) I'm sure the brick under there is not far from deteriorating. It would be really great if they could have it re-done graphically and stretched out over sections of the building.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » January 4th, 2013, 6:24 am

I attended a meeting at Valspar HQ this week and Sr Managment presented the plans for the redo of their old HQ. A couple highlights are..... They will have a showroom on the first floor of the taller/older of the 2 buildings. This building will also contain training/meeting rooms for a global training center. The longer 3 story buidling will be labs for about 150+ PHD Chemist. They will retain and operate all the current buildings across 11th. I know some here had expressed the need to preserve the mural on the back of the building, sad to report that the mural has to be removed for a cople of reasons. 1. The amount and type of paint is actully damaging the building, the limestone brick is being damaged by the paint and it does not allow that side of the building to "breathe". 2. The buildings have received historic designation with a "date of significance" of 1949. In order to receive the tax credits it needs to be removed. I was very impressed with the passion and excitement the management have for this project and for Valspar in general, maybe they put something in the kool-aid :D
I posted this a couple months ago after I attended a meeting at Valspar HQ.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 5th, 2013, 11:52 am

Sad to see the mural go, but the explanation above makes it totally understandable why it has to be removed.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 8th, 2013, 6:41 pm

IMG_3554 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr

IMG_3556 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 27th, 2013, 8:47 am

The paint is pretty much gone on the 35W side, and the new Valspar signage is up. It looks nice. Very warm and clean.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 10th, 2018, 9:44 pm

While Valspar was sold to Sherwin-Williams, Sherwin-Williams has grown the Valspar presence by moving Chicago R&D workers to the Minneapolis offices, expanding the workforce by 25%.

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 500168432/