Mill City Quarter - 300 South 2nd Street

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Mill City Quarter - (300 South 2nd Street)

Postby Nathan » November 9th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Is there really demand for assisted living downtown? (serious question)
Based on a lot of reading, Over the Next 20 years the vast majority of Urban areas are to be populated by a lot of millenials and a lot of the aging baby boomer population. (which works great because the two generations actually really thrive off of one another (Gen Y in the middle often doesn't get along with the two).

Baby Boomers are known for wanting to stay active and with it and not end up in Nursing Homes, something living in suburbia just can't offer them.

http://www.planetizen.com/node/57214

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » November 9th, 2012, 12:28 pm

If I'm remembering correctly, this is city owned land
This is correct. In a May 26 e-mail converssation, Lisa Goodman told me: "We are under contract on the parcel in front of Riverwest for 2 housing projects as well right now."

The City also owns the empty lot at 205 Park, but isn't looking to move on it any time soon. Per CM Goodman: "The 205 Park spot we own and have yet to put it on the market due to all of the other sites currently under discussion for housing development in the area, ( 11 downtown now and three under construction) no need to add to the inventory when the private sector developers are moving on their sites."

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 9th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Is the "rail" corridor the weird pointless bridge between the UofM press and the taller warehouse type building on the north side of that lot?
Yes. Pointless might be a bit strong.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 9th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Based on a lot of reading, Over the Next 20 years the vast majority of Urban areas are to be populated by a lot of millenials and a lot of the aging baby boomer population. (which works great because the two generations actually really thrive off of one another (Gen Y in the middle often doesn't get along with the two).

Baby Boomers are known for wanting to stay active and with it and not end up in Nursing Homes, something living in suburbia just can't offer them.

I'm asking specifically about assisted living.
Towns!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 9th, 2012, 12:55 pm

According to Hennepin County's GIS, the old rail corridor is part of the parcel that the U of M press building sits on. I'd think that would make everything more complicated. I was kind of hoping that whatever ends up getting built there (i.e. bike trail, linear park, sugar glider run, etc) would extend mid-block south of Riverwest and have its primary entrance on 5th Ave rather than 2nd Ave. I feel like that would connect better to the linear park along 5th Ave that keeps getting planned and forgotten.
"Who rescued whom!"

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 9th, 2012, 1:06 pm

I'm asking specifically about assisted living.
I guess it is just implied that a large aging population is going to, at some point, need some assisted living. If their first project is aimed at seniors (finishes 3 years from now), and phase II comes 5 years later, it would be prime to fill with residents of phase I. Also if one spouse is needing assisted living it would be nice that they could be close to one another, or if they are aging parents of younger generations, moving into urban areas, they could live closer to their families... I guess the point is there should be no reason that their is anymore or less demand for age related services (young/education included) in a well balanced, diverse, sustainable urban neighborhood than in the suburbs. As the population of mpls increases and ages I think there is a demand.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » November 9th, 2012, 1:26 pm

EDIT: Oops, missed the third page. Feel free to ignore this post. :P

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 9th, 2012, 3:25 pm

EDIT: Oops, missed the third page. Feel free to ignore this post. :P
No worries, and that helps explain why the area is the way it is quite a bit.

Any chance anybody has some old timey maps/pictures of this area with the Depot functioning as a train station and this track running?

Also, want to say that the area isn't completely pointless, as I had some of my wedding pictures taken there last weekend.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » November 9th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Here's a screenshot of the block in question from the 1912 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps:

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » November 9th, 2012, 4:08 pm

And here's 1952. Unfortunately it's not the best scan.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 9th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Have fun:

http://www.historicaerials.com/

And congrats.

(Use the slide feature to look at the old street grid where the Lowry Tunnel/94/35W Commons are now... Makes me sad.)

frenat
City Center

Postby frenat » November 9th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Is there really demand for assisted living downtown? (serious question)
There's actually a lot out there about senior living in downtown cores because they don't need cars and easy access to health care options.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 13th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Site plans and renderings are now up on the CoW meeting page (!):

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... S1P-100569
MCQ west.JPG
MCQ Ax.JPG
"Who rescued whom!"

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 13th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Interesting - more modern. Like how the blue ties into the Guthrie. Still, not overly impressed. Was hoping something that would break up the block (blocks?). Any chance they may add a roof top garden/patio? Or at least a green roof would be nice.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 13th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Hmm, that is kind of ugly...I would be worried it would look a bit like Murals.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » November 13th, 2012, 1:53 pm

yawn....again

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 13th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Well, the back is terrible, but no one is really going to see it. The front could look good depending on the cladding.
Towns!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » November 13th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Are they afraid to be creative because it might detract from the Guthrie? I'd hope it would be the other way around...be creative and feed off the Guthrie.
Ugly, boring...

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 13th, 2012, 2:21 pm

The Guthrie is five blocks away from this thing.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 13th, 2012, 2:54 pm

The site plan (especially option B) is better than I expected. I can envision that being a cool urban space (although I can also envision them botching it up).

As for the building design, it could be fun. The reference to Murals is a good one -- I thought that I'd really like that building based on the renderings, but it was so poorly executed.