Mill City Quarter - 300 South 2nd Street

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Mill City Quarter - (300 South 2nd Street)

Postby Nathan » November 13th, 2012, 4:00 pm

I like site plan B, and what they allude to for phase II looks like it could be a great shape.

I prefer the 'round punch' facade to the square for sure, it's creative and plays with the boxy form of the building. I do agree that it completely depends on material finish whether or not it will turn out well.

I don't get/like the super plain Northern part, just doesn't play along with the rest of the building.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 13th, 2012, 4:49 pm

What if I told you guys that Jean Nouvel designed it?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » November 13th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Hmm, that is kind of ugly...I would be worried it would look a bit like Murals.
I dont know....I think the street level glass looks kinda cool actually. A lot more open, and inviting. However, I agree that the upper floors aren't the best.

Is this area considered the "Mill District" this far east?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 13th, 2012, 6:44 pm

"Look!, I told you he'd be a waste of money"
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 13th, 2012, 7:32 pm

The site plan (especially option B) is better than I expected. I can envision that being a cool urban space (although I can also envision them botching it up).

As for the building design, it could be fun. The reference to Murals is a good one -- I thought that I'd really like that building based on the renderings, but it was so poorly executed.
After looking more closely - agreed - really dig site plan B in terms of landscaping and connecting to the milling history of the neighborhood. The building architecture is kind of growing on me. Reminds me of something you'd might expect to see in Sweden/The Netherlands.

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » November 13th, 2012, 7:33 pm

The design of the larger building has merits, dig the rounded punched metal idea. Not going to talk about that ugly thing tacked on to the side on 3rd.

My largest gripe is how long and repetitive this thing is. That's an issue I take with a lot of things going up in Minneapolis at the moment. While I wouldn't want to see this stay a parking lot, these long unvarying streetscapes that buildings like this create don't help a ton.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 14th, 2012, 7:16 am

what does this design remind me of? i mean, yes it sucks but when i saw the rendering it immediately brought to mind another recent development.

and it sucks, just to make that point that again. yes better than a parking lot...well not sure really at least a parking lot is a blank canvas. this boring pile of nothing will sit there for decades. this is cookie cutter cheapness at its best. we need to, as a city, demand more from developers.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 14th, 2012, 8:34 am

Then I'd say it's sophistocated, sexy, alluring, perfect for the area, and essentially........perfect! :geek:

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 14th, 2012, 8:36 am

what does this design remind me of? i mean, yes it sucks but when i saw the rendering it immediately brought to mind another recent development.

and it sucks, just to make that point that again. yes better than a parking lot...well not sure really at least a parking lot is a blank canvas. this boring pile of nothing will sit there for decades. this is cookie cutter cheapness at its best. we need to, as a city, demand more from developers.
I'm super curious what it reminds you of now!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 14th, 2012, 11:07 am

Rant Warning.

I think it sucks that we have to bring up Loring Park and Stevens Community time and time again. Those are some of the most solid neighborhoods in Mpls, they have stood the test of time, and have proven to be great communities. You can gripe ALL you want about the quality of what they are building now (being stick and cement board), and I will agree with you day and night. What I cannot understand is the ridiculous amount of ADD people have about certain amounts of infill (especially housing we talk about how the developers need to make $$$ this isn't class A office space). Personally, being I studied Architecture for a while, when I tour a city I don't know, or even mpls, I like to be able to identify a building by time period, knowing the social, economic, and style trends that existed when the building was built. I don't know why people think it's SO awful to say "oh that building was built in the 90's or in the 2000's or 70's," But then completely switch up their inflection as to say a group of buildings were built in the 10's or 20's based on their similarities in scale and nuances in style. We have buildings going up scattered all over town of moderate scale, it's not like they are all right next to each other making some new highly visible, massive, low quality tract home environment. If all you have to say is "yawn" or "boring" or "cookie cutter." It just has no warrant, it doesn't acknowledge our current economic abilities, need for infill (most major cities are filled with blocks and blocks of similar housing structures, which creates an excellent sense of place), or architectural/material trends.

I think it will definitely come down to them not cheaping out on the facade of this building, but from what it looks like in their presentation; with their nods to pixelated parking, the historic and newer materials used in the neighborhood, and the rail heritage at this site they will do a good job.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 14th, 2012, 11:27 am

What if I told you that the Guthrie is a flat-out awesome building, no matter who designed it?

I know you've got no love for it, Elf, but don't assume that people who appreciate it are weak-minded suckers for a "name" architect.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 14th, 2012, 11:36 am

What if I told you that the Guthrie is a flat-out awesome building, no matter who designed it?

I know you've got no love for it, Elf, but don't assume that people who appreciate it are weak-minded suckers for a "name" architect.
I personally don't like most of what I see Nouvel doing around the world, and I have another arch geek friend of mine (from the east coast) who despises Nouvel, but I took him there on a recent visit, and we both agreed that the Guthrie is a pretty great space. It's dynamic and works within it's environment really well. (not to mention it serves it's client extremely well)

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 14th, 2012, 11:38 am

I'll take your word for it, but there are enough people on here knee-jerk poo poo-ing this building off a poorly scanned, pixelated rendering for me to make a snarky comment.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 14th, 2012, 11:43 am

I'll take your word for it, but there are enough people on here knee-jerk poo poo-ing this building off a poorly scanned, pixelated rendering for me to make a snarky comment.
I know, it was a big softball lobbed up there for you! You're only human, after all.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 14th, 2012, 11:46 am

My sentiments exactly. Can we at least see a rendering that's a bit less, um...."preliminary" before we start bashing this, please?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 14th, 2012, 11:49 am

My sentiments exactly. Can we at least see a rendering that's a bit less, um...."preliminary" before we start bashing this, please?
Yeah, a little water color magic, some kids holding balloons in the foreground, and we'll all love this building.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 14th, 2012, 11:52 am

^^^Worked with the Peavy Plaza redesign....

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » November 14th, 2012, 11:52 am

Well, not on urbanmsp, necessarily.....but in general....

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » November 14th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Yeah, a little water color magic, some kids holding balloons in the foreground, and we'll all love this building.
My personal favorite architectural detail is the sillohuetted couple holding hands.That raises any B- building to t B+ at least.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » November 16th, 2012, 4:06 pm

I'm actually a bit impressed. The building in the design looks deceptively large because it's a 3D model on a cropped 2D landscape. The building will only be as long as the first portion of the Depot hotel on 2nd street and the glass retail on street level will be great for the neighborhood. I'm also a fan of the rounded facade which looks like it's draped over the building.

I'd rather have this any day than a parking lot full of cars.