Mill City Quarter - 300 South 2nd Street

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Mill City Quarter - (300 South 2nd Street)

Postby John » November 16th, 2012, 4:29 pm

It looks really good for a senior housing development, but I'm surprised this is happening at this location. I always assumed this would be a very desirable parcel for a developer to build something quite ambitious. My favorite aspect of the project is the first level with all the clear glass. Will look nice along the street. And hey, I can move in here in 30 years if I want!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 23rd, 2013, 10:03 am

Haven't heard anything on this one in a while, so I figured I'd give it a bump with the project website: http://lupedevelopment.com/mill-city-quarter/

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 23rd, 2013, 12:08 pm

Cool! Nice to see that this is still active, and is a little more fleshed out. I like the footprint of phase II shown with the old rail corridor thoroughfare. Pretty modern and cool use of materials for an old folks home. I hope I end up somewhere like this rather than http://urbanmsp.com/viewtopic.php?f=14& ... lit=senior

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » July 23rd, 2013, 4:42 pm

I've often found myself annoyed with the people that relentlessly complain about "more height" on this site. So at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, I will say I really wish a tower would go up on this site. Something along the lines of a "Carlyle 2" would provide some much needed population density in this area.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » July 23rd, 2013, 7:40 pm

I've often found myself annoyed with the people that relentlessly complain about "more height" on this site. So at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, I will say I really wish a tower would go up on this site. Something along the lines of a "Carlyle 2" would provide some much needed population density in this area.
Agreed. It would be nice to break up the wall that is Riverwest.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » July 24th, 2013, 10:46 am

It would be nice to break up the wall that is Riverwest.
Good point. I love height but it seems especially useful in this spot. That said, this is a really nice project that I support.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 24th, 2013, 11:11 am

Agreed. It would be nice to break up the wall that is Riverwest.
It might not do that from the river, but it will definitely do it from the street! It might almost completely hide Riverwest for pedestrians on Second! ha!

The potential mystery 20 something story tower a couple of blocks south might help from the river too.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » July 24th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Much needed? With the River Towers, The Churchill, Rivergate, and The Carlyle housing a couple thousand people on 3 blocks, density is not this area's struggle.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » July 25th, 2013, 9:37 am

This is the second most densely populated area in Minneapolis. And don't worry, a 4-5 story building fronting Second Street will easily do the trick of hiding Riverwest from view when you're on Second.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » July 31st, 2013, 4:34 pm

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 31st, 2013, 6:40 pm

I know this is still preliminary, but the 14,000 square feet of retail space does not appear broken into smaller units. Perfect for a Trader Joe's...s'all I'm saying. Positioned at the corner of 3rd Avenue and 2nd Street, I think it would do very well. Then again, you could put Trader Joe's anywhere in this city and it would be successful.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 31st, 2013, 7:53 pm

I know this is still preliminary, but the 14,000 square feet of retail space does not appear broken into smaller units. Perfect for a Trader Joe's...s'all I'm saying. Positioned at the corner of 3rd Avenue and 2nd Street, I think it would do very well. Then again, you could put Trader Joe's anywhere in this city and it would be successful.
I'm thinking it may be a chain pharmacy such as Walgreens or CVS, considering the population that will live there. But a Trader Joe's would also be nice here (or maybe a little farther east towards the new stadium or Guthrie).

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 31st, 2013, 8:48 pm

OK, that actually makes a lot more sense. The 14k sf just immediately rang a bell of Trader Joe's average store size. CVS or Walgreens would better meet the everyday needs of the area. Are there any drugstores at all in the immediate area?

EDIT: Google sez not a single pharmacy north of 8th Street. I think you could put one here and possibly another one in DTE near/in the Ryan project, once the area develops. They definitely need one up in the North Loop. Are there anything but bars, restaurants, and boutiques up there?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 1st, 2013, 3:50 pm

The updates on this have a DRASTICALLY altered exterior. If you missed clicking on the newest plans, I would recommend it. Almost all metal, with a Kasota stone base! Matches the neighborhood much better than the previous iterations.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 1st, 2013, 4:28 pm

Why does a new building built on a parking lot have to go before the Heritage Preservation Commission?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 1st, 2013, 4:35 pm

The Mill District is considered historic. There are a lot of criteria that buildings have to meet in the area- I don't remember its exact boundaries.

A weird example is that skyways are prohibited, so the Guthrie's is technically classified as a "production link." Its primary purpose is restricted to moving sets, equipment, and materials as opposed to foot traffic, per the function of a production link that would have been included in a milling complex. I don't remember why I know that.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 1st, 2013, 4:39 pm

It's in the Historic Mill District, essentially a neighborhood where all new buildings have to pay respect to the historic buildings in the area. Unfortunately it wasn't in place when they built some of it's neighbors ;) I think this district is North of Washington between 3rd and 10th or 11th. All new buildings are height restricted and encouraged to use materials that may have been used on the historic buildings. We probably have that to thank for what looks like a good use of quality materials on this building.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 1st, 2013, 5:26 pm

Funny that people can get around just fine in a historic district without the skyways..

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 1st, 2013, 5:43 pm

Funny that people can get around just fine in a historic district without the skyways..
Funny how it's mostly residential, and people don't have to wear their nice patent leather pumps between meetings to grab lunch if they don't want to... although the skyway walkers in the sketchers and pencil skirts do thrill me.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 1st, 2013, 7:47 pm

I only point it out because I would assume that most people living in the residential area (also, Loring Park) work downtown. Or if it's a dual earner household at least one does). So they clearly walk somewhere on the way to work in whatever they wear to work. Regardless, it's amusing because, even if Minneapolis is colder than other major cities without skyways, the things that make going outside uncomfortable or damaging to nice clothes/shoes exist there as well.

As for this project, I'm a little surprised that given the apparent lack of typical neighborhood amenities up here that the Phase II wouldn't have more retail space (unless I'm missing something?)