Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
proverfent
Block E

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby proverfent » May 11th, 2016, 5:47 pm

SamHartmen wrote:Just what we need, another bargain bin for the riff raff downtown. Why can't we get some nice stores for a change? I guess we should start calling it Nicollet Outlet Mall.
This!!! Another outlet store downtown is annoying. I can absolutely only speak for myself here but I am sure many people, they may not be in this discussion forum, agree with how I feel. I am 27 years old and live downtown. When I moved here I looked forward to shopping at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. Now they have been replaced with outlet stores which, personally, I feel should stay in the suburbs. I was recently in Salt Lake City and they have a full-fledged Nordstrom store downtown and they're downtown population is 15,000. I support the vast majority of retail entering the downtown market but we cannot fill downtown with Marshalls, outlet store, Walgreens, outlet store....

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » May 11th, 2016, 6:40 pm

Um, Saks was replaced with off fifth when you were like 15 then, and these are the kind of stores that do well downtown.

Ps, salt lake has tourists...downtowns with tourists and big convention business have more retail.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 11th, 2016, 6:56 pm

These are the kind of places that are attempting to get that draw of shopping downtown back. If they're successful, then hopefully can see larger luxury brands back in the market. For now, there's always North Loop.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » May 12th, 2016, 8:46 am

proverfent wrote:
SamHartmen wrote:Just what we need, another bargain bin for the riff raff downtown. Why can't we get some nice stores for a change? I guess we should start calling it Nicollet Outlet Mall.
This!!! Another outlet store downtown is annoying. I can absolutely only speak for myself here but I am sure many people, they may not be in this discussion forum, agree with how I feel. I am 27 years old and live downtown. When I moved here I looked forward to shopping at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. Now they have been replaced with outlet stores which, personally, I feel should stay in the suburbs. I was recently in Salt Lake City and they have a full-fledged Nordstrom store downtown and they're downtown population is 15,000. I support the vast majority of retail entering the downtown market but we cannot fill downtown with Marshalls, outlet store, Walgreens, outlet store....
The Nordstrom in SLC is also an anchor to the $1.5 billion City Creek Center project that the Mormon church built, it's a destination mall that draws in a lot of locals from outside downtown (underground parking has thousands of spaces) as well as tourists, plus it's directly across from the Salt Palace convention center and the temple. As nice as it would be to have downtown (MPLS), I don't see it happening. The economics in SLC are different, land use costs are cheaper, it's easier for suburbanites to get to and use City Creek than a similar setup here would allow, and I'd be willing to bet that the church gave Nordstrom (and Macy's) a sweetheart deal to lock them into a long term agreement. Plus the only mall to City Creek that would compete for traffic/sales is Fashion Place in Murray which is 12 miles away, downtown Minneapolis has competition from Southdale, Ridgedale, and Rosedale which are all 7-10 miles away, not to mention the big mall in Bloomington that soaks up tourists.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » May 12th, 2016, 11:29 am

Jeez, people, we're still talking about a place that sells some expensive stuff at the high end of their price range. Some of you are acting like they're bringing in a dollar store or something. Nordstrom Rack should do well in downtown and will hopefully encourage other retailers to locate there as well.

Also, Minnesotans are notoriously thrifty/cheap (depending on how you want to look at it) when it comes to the amount of money they spend on clothing. It's not due to a lack of money, either, it's just that people have different priorities. There's a reason the state only has two regular Nordstrom's, and why they're located where they are.

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » May 12th, 2016, 6:31 pm

QuietBlue wrote:J...and will hopefully encourage other retailers to locate there as well.
Ok, fingers crossed QuietBlue get's his thrifty/cheap Dollar Store downtown.

proverfent
Block E

Postby proverfent » May 12th, 2016, 6:55 pm

The thing is I, like many people who live in my building, have a pretty expendable income. We talk about wanting better retail and restaurant options downtown. Nordstrom Rack is not better retail but is another Rack store in the metro. We need/want new stores to enter the metro market, downtown. It can happen.

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » May 12th, 2016, 9:30 pm

proverfent wrote:The thing is I, like many people who live in my building, have a pretty expendable income. We talk about wanting better retail and restaurant options downtown. Nordstrom Rack is not better retail but is another Rack store in the metro. We need/want new stores to enter the metro market, downtown. It can happen.

Yes, and last time I checked all the new rents downtown were 1,000+ for a one bedroom. People shopping at these bargain barrels clearly don't live downtown. Maybe if downtown was to not just ban plastic bags, but also ban cardboard signs... Triple Five Group showed success at handeling the BLM protests, selling naming rights and roadway rights to them and let them manage it as a private mall roadway. :)

At least that way Mall Of America would stop pirating downtown (St. Paul) tenants.
Last edited by SamHartmen on May 12th, 2016, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 12th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Please stop

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » May 13th, 2016, 5:44 pm

proverfent wrote:The thing is I, like many people who live in my building, have a pretty expendable income. We talk about wanting better retail and restaurant options downtown.
I sense Grey Poupon may have been exchanged.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 18th, 2016, 2:20 pm

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 18th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Well, that was deeply pointless.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 18th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Well it's still better that they remodeled and made the nice corner entrance and then closed than if they hadn't done anything at all, right? Maybe we'll get another outlet store :)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 18th, 2016, 3:31 pm

That was my thought as well. It should be pretty easy for something else to move in now.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » May 19th, 2016, 7:20 am

LakeCharles wrote:Well it's still better that they remodeled and made the nice corner entrance and then closed than if they hadn't done anything at all, right? Maybe we'll get another outlet store :)
A Nike outlet store wouldn't be the worst thing to happen ... it would be nice if another sports/athletic apparel retailer took the spot.

John21
Union Depot

Postby John21 » May 19th, 2016, 8:10 am

Nicollet Outlet Mall. :|

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 19th, 2016, 9:04 am

Eh, I'm not going to complain about having active stores instead of locked doors.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 19th, 2016, 9:19 am

I tend to agree, however whether that eventually happens depends on if Sports Authority/what's left of it decides to hold on to their lease or not. Downtown has been bitten in the ass by tenants going out of business but still holding on to their long-term leases for empty buildings, see chili's, Solera, and Masa. I hope in the bankruptcy process they can cancel their lease and give the building owners incentive to fill the space again.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 20th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Looks like my main concern won't happen here, thankfully. SA will be auctioning off their leases within a month, then we'll have a better idea what could replace them.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 2nd, 2016, 11:32 am

http://www.startribune.com/mercury-risi ... 381665361/

Blue Plate is taking over the former Brasserie Zentral spot.

This could be a good fit, finally. Blue Plate isn't perfect, but this should be cheaper and more accessible than some of the places that have recently gone under.

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”