Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby Wedgeguy » December 7th, 2012, 10:40 am

mnmike wrote:
spectre000 wrote: Considering there is the possibility of Target leaving 33 S. Sixth down the road, I hope Shorenstein doesn't bury their head in the sand and let the place go further downhill. A major renovation could really re-energize the building and make it much more marketable. If/when Target leaves, it'll leave a huge hole to fill.

You know City Center had a pretty major renovation not long ago at all, right? The whole place was gutted to the beams and reconfigured...they just didn't touch the outside.
The interior is really not that bad. it is the exterior that keeps people from wanting to go inside. The exterior is not inviting. Kinda like how Southdale was for year. Why would anyone go into a place that look blank and does not have windows that invite you to see what is inside and down the halls.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 9th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Strib article about the state of luxury retail in the Twin Cities: http://www.startribune.com/local/182760551.html

There are a few lines about Needless Markup leaving downtown, the standard complaint about the lack of parking vs. free parking at malls. It mentions the Saks Off 5th going in to the Eagan outlet mall as a "2nd location" so maybe there is hope for the downtown location. No hints dropped as to what might replace Neiman

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 10th, 2012, 1:21 pm

twincitizen wrote:Strib article about the state of luxury retail in the Twin Cities: http://www.startribune.com/local/182760551.html

There are a few lines about Needless Markup leaving downtown, the standard complaint about the lack of parking vs. free parking at malls. It mentions the Saks Off 5th going in to the Eagan outlet mall as a "2nd location" so maybe there is hope for the downtown location. No hints dropped as to what might replace Neiman
As I stated earlier, Von Mour or Herberger's would make great anchors and best use of the space. retail in Minneapolis was good before the Bush years. In the early 2000's is when things went south and there was no the built in shopping mass that there is now and will continue to increase as apartment buildings are completed.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 10th, 2012, 5:36 pm

The article was pretty clear that the city doesn't envision luxury clothing as a big part of renewing downtown retail.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 10th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Didier wrote:The article was pretty clear that the city doesn't envision luxury clothing as a big part of renewing downtown retail.
I think there is room for high end retail downtown, but it should only be one part of the retail picture. I agree with Rybak in many ways. However, I think if Von Mauer located downtown they would be very succesful. They do have practical things like good winter clothes and accessories. It is headquarted in Iowa and has more midwestern values. Nieman Marcus ( aka "Needless Markup") never seemed to fit in with our city's personality IMO.

I guess the other phenomenon happening downtown is the large number of higher income residents who will be moving into all these luxury rentals (and probably a few condo projects) being built over the next few years. The downtown population will be approaching 40,000 by 2020. In a few years from now, some higher-end stores will surely take notice of this emerging market and locate downtown.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 1st, 2013, 5:16 pm

The little orphan retail spot by Target now has something in it--an art gallery? There's a lot of that going on downtown lately, there are a couple different art galleries that popped up in Gaviidae over the past year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 1st, 2013, 6:34 pm

Good! Anything to publicize Minneapolis' love of the arts!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 1st, 2013, 8:38 pm

If you see this figure walking around downtown, it is Nick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » January 1st, 2013, 9:30 pm

Nice :)

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 2nd, 2013, 7:12 am

Nick wrote:The little orphan retail spot by Target now has something in it--an art gallery? There's a lot of that going on downtown lately, there are a couple different art galleries that popped up in Gaviidae over the past year.
I peeked through the windows during my visit back to MN over the holidays. Looks pretty cool. Great addition to the mall. I just hope they publicize/market themselves well. Definitely need better signage so people know it's there.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 2nd, 2013, 7:15 am

Oh, the stores in Gaviidae are seasonal, I believe. Something they've been doing the past few years. Love it. Wish they'd open up permanently, but assume rent is pretty high. Cool Gaviidae works with them over the holidays, though. Seems many independent/start ups try to start out there, but unfortunately, they must not get enough people buying.

Viktor Vaughn
US Bank Plaza

Postby Viktor Vaughn » January 2nd, 2013, 11:23 am

This year Gaviidae had a store for Midtown Global Market with a mix of handmade and internationally imported goods from various venders at the market. I'd be curious to know how their sales were over the holidays.

Nearby, the organization representing the NE Arts District organization had a retail spot again this year. Which is a very cool idea, but it was poorly curated in my opinion. They seemed mostly to offer ceramics that looked like they were created by grade-school children.

In general, I like the idea of providing a downtown connection to Minneapolis neighborhoods through these pop-up stores. They provide another outlet and increase the visibility of the NE arts scene or the Global Market, and they offer unique products in a retail market dominated by mass-produced sameness. Ideally, these stores would be at street-level and year-round.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 2nd, 2013, 12:29 pm

Are they all just seasonal? I feel like the Northeast one has been open for quite a while, but then again Christmas starts in mid-September lately.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 2nd, 2013, 12:40 pm

Yeah, there were 3 to 4 seasonal stores open in gav II until 12/31. I got some good gifts at the global market one. As for some of the other store fronts, gaviidae stareted displaying art in the vacant ones a few months ago...to make them look less empty i presume. It kinda works. In other gaviidae news...I know we discussed that jewelry store closing. Apparently they are moving to the other wing, nearer to Saks outlet in the spring.

Viktor Vaughn
US Bank Plaza

Postby Viktor Vaughn » January 2nd, 2013, 12:58 pm

Nick wrote:Are they all just seasonal? I feel like the Northeast one has been open for quite a while, but then again Christmas starts in mid-September lately.
It seemed to me like they've been around for quite awhile too. I was wondering if they were permanent. I suppose I'll walk by there this week and see if they're still open.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 7th, 2013, 5:54 pm

In walking down Nicollet Mall today, I noticed that the retail space in 1200 on the Mall (kitty corner from Peavey Plaza) is all torn up and under construction-looking. Anyone (maybe our user 1200onthemall?) know what's up with that?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 7th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Part of the space is going to be a pharmacy and there are plans for a coffee shop in the remaining space.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 8th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Walked through Neiman Marcus to see the Nic on Fifth site...it is already about 2/3 empty! They kept it fully stocked through Christmas, but now they are really clearing it out...I don't think the sale will last until the end of the month(the scheduled closing date was 1/31, I suspect it will be sooner). They have always kept that store up so nicely...still sad to see it go. Here's hoping something good happens with the building....more practical. I believe the last department store to leave downtown was Mongomery Wards in City Center? Most of that space is still vacant!(well, a good 1/2 or more of it anyway) Really hope some money is put into reformatting this, and it doesn't just sit vacant for years. Even better if a dept store show some interest, but I just don't see that happening. It is a really nice, ready to move into space though, in the unlikely event that should happen. Unlike most other retailers downtown, they have kept the store immaculate.

Also, something is going in next to Radio Shack in Gaviidae I...I assume this is the relocation of the jewelry store from the other part of the mall, but I am not sure.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » January 8th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Nick wrote:In walking down Nicollet Mall today, I noticed that the retail space in 1200 on the Mall (kitty corner from Peavey Plaza) is all torn up and under construction-looking. Anyone (maybe our user 1200onthemall?) know what's up with that?
The message from 1200 on the Mall building Managemnt....."a pharmacy called ‘PharmaLife’ and a separate entrance eatery called ‘French Corner Bistro & Bakery’. The eatery will be open into the early evening hours.

Pharmalife has a current location at 9 W 14th Street, Mpls. I would assume that location would close and move to 1200.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 8th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Nick wrote:In walking down Nicollet Mall today, I noticed that the retail space in 1200 on the Mall (kitty corner from Peavey Plaza) is all torn up and under construction-looking. Anyone (maybe our user 1200onthemall?) know what's up with that?
This is random, but did you know people outside of Minnesota say "caddy corner"?

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”