Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby amiller92 » September 14th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Wedgeguy wrote: There was an attempt a few years ago to get the building and Cuzzy's sold for a condo development that never got too far. I think they have been wanting out now for a few years and hoping to find a buyer then close. Now how many years later I think they are just looking to sell the building and get away from it. Will admit I've never been in the place, but from what I'm reading is they did not change with the market and the customer that had moved in and did not have the merchandize that they would really have been buying.
If I lived over that way, I might have bought things like cleaning supplies and light bulbs there on the way home from work. As I don't, my trips there were limited to actual hardware purchases, which there aren't a lot of.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2015, 1:00 pm

When I first started going to Gardner (probably 1998?), their business was very much geared towards serving commercial clients and contractors as opposed to regular retail customers. I suspect that business was gutted by Home Depot, and they were unable to pivot to the type of high-customer service retail model that some of the neighborhood Ace Hardware types seem to have nailed. It probably doesn't help that condo owners are only worried about the inside of their houses (and apartment renters even less than that), so even though there were a lot of new residents, they didn't really have a lot of need for a hardware store.

Also, yes, they probably are going to sell that building for a lot of money.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 14th, 2015, 1:40 pm

MNdible wrote:When I first started going to Gardner (probably 1998?), their business was very much geared towards serving commercial clients and contractors as opposed to regular retail customers. I suspect that business was gutted by Home Depot, and they were unable to pivot to the type of high-customer service retail model that some of the neighborhood Ace Hardware types seem to have nailed. It probably doesn't help that condo owners are only worried about the inside of their houses (and apartment renters even less than that), so even though there were a lot of new residents, they didn't really have a lot of need for a hardware store.

Also, yes, they probably are going to sell that building for a lot of money.
When I lived in DC, there was an Ace (Logan Hardware) on P street right next to Whole Foods that seemed to do great business with great customer service. It always made me think that the neighborhood hardware store should be part of any redeveloping, walkable neighborhood.

Then I moved back here, and, like the pharmacy on every block, nope. Maybe we're just too carcentric, or hardware trips are infrequent enough to drive to, or we get our charcoal, icemelt, lightbulbs and the like from non-hardware stores.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2015, 1:46 pm

I guess I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a Frattalone open up a smaller format store somewhere in the North Loop.

uptowner
City Center

Postby uptowner » September 16th, 2015, 10:57 am

Bogart's Doughnuts is now open in IDS.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » September 16th, 2015, 11:29 am

uptowner wrote:Bogart's Doughnuts is now open in IDS.
Did they sell out by 11am like bricks & mortar?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 16th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Still going strong as of a few minutes ago...I wonder until what time they plan on keeping the place stocked after the grand opening rush?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 16th, 2015, 12:25 pm

They're still open! Plenty of donuts left.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 16th, 2015, 12:39 pm

I must insist that you all stop talking about [WHITE] bougie donuts until all socio-economic and racial issues have been addressed.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 16th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Fixology; a jewelry, watch and smartphone repair shop, is opening up on the skyway level of RBC Plaza.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 17th, 2015, 6:52 am

I tweeted this yesterday: https://twitter.com/UrbanMSP/status/644287749671907328
Dear forum users, please stop saying "retail". What you actually mean is "commercial space".

Just a general thought that's been bouncing in my head during the various conversations about downtown development and how much street-level commercial space should be included (see Opus Ritz block and the Handicraft development threads). I know a couple of you are actually delusional (or optimistic) enough to think a Nordstrom is going to open downtown, but for everyone else living in reality, I'm pretty sure what we really mean to say during these conversations is that we desire more "commercial space", not specifically "retail". I'm not trying to mean, actually trying to be helpful so that we say what we really mean when advocating for changes/improvements in downtown development proposals.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 17th, 2015, 9:34 am

If by this, you're intending to distinguish between a retailer selling goods and a restaurant selling food and hospitality... you're right, but it's a pretty fine distinction to be making.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 17th, 2015, 9:43 am

The wikipedia definition of retail: "Retail is the process of selling consumer goods and/or services to customers through multiple channels of distribution to earn a profit." Doesn't that make a pretty broad spectrum, not just Nordstroms?

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » September 17th, 2015, 10:01 am

Please let us know if it lives up to the hype.lol

Walgreens Opening Friday on Nicollet:

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/wa ... ollet-mall

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 17th, 2015, 10:16 am

I'm pretty excited that my lunchtime supply runs will be a couple blocks shorter.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 17th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Doesn't really look all that special, but it will be nice to have there. I recall in earlier articles that they were leasing a bigger space than they were using to start. I think maybe that street level corner space is the extra, and they are going to try to sublease it, perhaps included it in their lease so they could expand there if needed. Or maybe it isn't in their lease...either way, there is a sizable corner retail space on the street level...hope something goes there. No skyway access though (I don't think?), that is kind of a rarity in leasable spaces fronting Nicollet.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 17th, 2015, 2:09 pm

mnmike wrote:Doesn't really look all that special, but it will be nice to have there.
I thought the same thing today.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 17th, 2015, 2:11 pm

That is a rarity. The Minneapolis Tourism storefront or whatever it is that got carved out of the new Centerpoint space also won't have skyway access, but I can't think of any other examples of commercial spaces in skyway-connected buildings without an interior entrance, anywhere in downtown.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 17th, 2015, 2:45 pm

Silophant wrote:That is a rarity. The Minneapolis Tourism storefront or whatever it is that got carved out of the new Centerpoint space also won't have skyway access, but I can't think of any other examples of commercial spaces in skyway-connected buildings without an interior entrance, anywhere in downtown.
Chipotle and Masa in the Target building and Newsroom in Retek (which has doors on other sides that look like they are supposed to be other commercial spaces) are about the only ones I can think of.

twinkess
Rice Park

Postby twinkess » September 17th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Block E Jimmy John's used to be like this. Team Liquor store at 19 S 7th st is in the skyway connected Park and Shop ramp yet doesn't have an interior entrance (the directly adjacent Foot Locker does however).

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”