Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby Anondson » June 5th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 5th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Hm... They could anchor the proposed City Center renovation?

I wonder if they'll go back to being a real (though smaller) Saks 5th Avenue store. To me, at least, it would seem strange to have two outlet stores 10 miles apart when there's not a normal store until Chicago.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » June 9th, 2014, 12:03 pm

The Saloon has taken down the Hotel Amsterdam sign from the side of the building and is looking into restoring it and possibly using it inside the bar or selling it. Sad day, that sign and the Gay 90's signs are relics of gay history in Minneapolis and neither should be taken down if the business is still there... IMHO.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 9th, 2014, 12:07 pm

I'm pretty sure the Hotel is closed, so the business is in fact not there anymore.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » June 9th, 2014, 12:10 pm

I'm pretty sure the Hotel is closed, so the business is in fact not there anymore.
That's true... the hotel is closed, but it was a piece of The Saloon.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 9th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Yes, Hotel Amsterdam closed several years ago. If only they'd build an elevator off the back of the Saloon and use the 2nd & 3rd floors for bar space. Perhaps cutting the floor away above the main dance floor and having a balcony. Ahhh, to have unlimited cash to do things...

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » June 9th, 2014, 1:03 pm

I don't think the Saloon, which was originally called the Hurry Y'all Back Saloon and the Gay 90's started out as gay bars. I could be wrong.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 9th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Believe it or not, it is actually a violation of the zoning code to have an "abandoned sign" which advertises a business or product no longer offered at that location. Of course there are historical exemptions to this rule, and the city (wisely, IMO) doesn't strictly enforce this ordinance. However, I have been meaning to email a complaint regarding the "Cherryhomes for Mayor" sign looming over Lake Street (@ Harriet Ave) :geek:

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 9th, 2014, 3:27 pm

I don't think the Saloon, which was originally called the Hurry Y'all Back Saloon and the Gay 90's started out as gay bars. I could be wrong.
It's the "Y'all Come Back Saloon", the credit card statements still show up as that. Owners John & Andy were both bar tenders there and bought it 35 years ago. It was indeed a gay bar back when they worked there. FWIW, the 19 Bar is the only gay bar that is older in Minneapolis.
Last edited by HiawathaGuy on June 9th, 2014, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 9th, 2014, 3:28 pm

I still see Bob Fine signs scattered throughout the city at random LLC owned rental properties.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 9th, 2014, 3:40 pm

There's a Cherryholmes sign at 42nd and Chicago, too.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 16th, 2014, 8:17 am

The upscale apartment boom’s demographic changes give retailers new opportunities:
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 90931.html

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 16th, 2014, 12:06 pm

^^^Good article and I agree we are at a tipping point for much stronger retail growth downtown over the next few years. The article specifically mentions the inward orientation of the shopping malls on Nicollet Mall ( in addition to the skyways) as being deterrents to pedestrian oriented retail. Nicollet Mall may never be Newbury Street in Boston, however I think its imperative that the city encourage property owners along Nicollet spend to some real money and update these malls to truly improve the transparency of these complexes facing Nicollet Mall. Also, the new projects that go into remaining vacant lots on the north end should be absolutely expected to include a strong retail component. If all this happened it will become a great shopping destination once again.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 16th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Heard on NPR that retail will boom very soon since downtown is hitting near 40,000 residents

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » July 16th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but Office Depot in City Center is closing. Honestly happy to see this happen! Hopefully a sign of new development/redevelopment of City Center - at least exterior along Nicollet Mall.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 16th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but Office Depot in City Center is closing. Honestly happy to see this happen! Hopefully a sign of new development/redevelopment of City Center - at least exterior along Nicollet Mall.
I think that Shorenstein understands that they can make much more rents in that space in the next few years. I really can't imagine that Office Depot location was much of a contributor to the corporate bottom line. Most companies go online and order supplies and have them delivered. I would say that Office depot offered some decent rent at the time when they went into City Center. I'd imagine they they had a ten year lease and it was not renewed. It would be a lot easier to reface the lower section of the building if they don't have a tenant in the way.Will be interesting to see how they work in Marshall's in the basement when they redo this mall for the umpteenth time since is was build in the early 80's.

We will see if this is part of the reinvestment of retail on the Nicollet Mall. I hope we start to see more stores fronts down town.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » July 16th, 2014, 9:03 pm

Did a little digging to see if there were any headlines about Office Depot's closing and came across this article from a few years ago about a lawsuit. Interesting.

http://www.startribune.com/business/83084332.html

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 17th, 2014, 6:28 am

the only thing that will improve city center on the nicollet side is a wrecking ball. the precast salmon colored exterior needs to just be removed already and glass wall installed.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 17th, 2014, 7:55 am

Maybe they'll steal the 7th and Nicollet plaza idea from the one Nicollet Mall redesign team that didn't get selected. That involved a heavy dose of wrecking ball and new glass-clad construction. It's got my vote.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 17th, 2014, 8:39 am

yes, just open the buildng to the street. restaurants with sidewalk tables. there is certainly the sidewalk space for this. who owns city center currently? this exterior needs to go as soon as possible. the mall side is hopeless unless this happens.