Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby John » January 29th, 2015, 11:06 am

Yeah, I have no idea. I was hoping an architect could chime in on that. Even though it's concrete, isn't the exterior made of panels or something? Or is the exterior actually structural concrete? In which case you'd actually have to cover it up, kinda like Mayo Clinic Square's mesh screens and such.
I watched City Center being built. I do remember they used pre-cast concrete panels for the exterior of both the tower and on The Nicollet Mall side. If they removed those panels it probably would reveal a simple rectangular shell with a structural steel frame (I can't quite remember that for sure though). However, I don't think removing and replacing them with another material/design etc would be very difficult. The big ? is the expense and if the landlord is willing to invest the money.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » January 29th, 2015, 1:28 pm

John - you are right - that harsh precast facade has always been a problem. A wall of windows that opens up the retail spaces would make a huge difference. The problem with the Nicollet is that there is no retail excitement or drama. Michigan Avenue is exciting... the power of retail is everywhere... The city should bother with street designs right now.. they should focus on ways to redesign the spaces and recruit more retailers back... not against the new design - just think that it may be better to reverse the order.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 29th, 2015, 1:45 pm

Well, I don't disagree, but the city actually has the ability to redesign the street it owns. Not so much the privately owned buildings.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 29th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Absolutely, but the reconstruction project definitely gives the city some leverage with building owners, to ask for reasonable upgrades or even just regular maintenance. The City could lean on a particular block, like City Center, and say "If you improve X, we'll include more Y on your block" or something to that effect. I don't mean to suggest the city should play hardball with anyone, especially since buildings on Nicollet Mall are paying for a significant amount of the project, but the city isn't totally powerless either.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 29th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Absolutely, but the reconstruction project definitely gives the city some leverage with building owners, to ask for reasonable upgrades or even just regular maintenance. The City could lean on a particular block, like City Center, and say "If you improve X, we'll include more Y on your block" or something to that effect. I don't mean to suggest the city should play hardball with anyone, especially since buildings on Nicollet Mall are paying for a significant amount of the project, but the city isn't totally powerless either.
I think that would be a fine option if the owners of buildings along NIcollet weren't going to be assessed $25MM to pay for the reconstruction of said street. Not to mention that Nicollet facing buildings will be assessed two fees. So it's hard for the City to say we'll give you more Y, if you improve X, when the City isn't paying for the whole thing.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » January 31st, 2015, 5:29 pm

These are good points - I know that these kind of massive projects need to be kept simple enough to be achievable... one thing that is missing from all of the new developments over the years is significant retail space facing the mall. Back in the early 80's block after block was faced by department stores. Can't go back to that time - retail has changed and that model isn't right for the way that people shop anymore. I think that maybe the city would benefit if there was a stiffer design and usage code for the facades and mall front space. Not sure if anything currently on the books is enough to improve this problem. The best way may be to reduce some of the tax based on percent of space dedicated to retail. At least that would shape the design to potentially increase retail density.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 4th, 2015, 8:21 am

There's a steel stud tunnel being constructed parallel to the skyway path through the old Saks space today, and jackhammering noises coming from downstairs.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » February 4th, 2015, 11:30 am

Radioshack in Gavidaii having a store closing sale.

sanguinic
Metrodome

Postby sanguinic » February 5th, 2015, 7:26 am

The jackhammers in the former Saks store were removing the street level's tile floor. What is to become of the store's third and fourth floors? Office space, like the rest of Gaviidae?

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » February 9th, 2015, 11:45 am

There's a "pop-up" British consulate set up in one of the retail spaces on the skyway level of RCB. Looks like it's this week only.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2015, 8:20 am

Sports Authority planning to open on Nicollet Mall!!!!! This is the space that's going to take up the larger space next to Saks.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... store.html

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 10th, 2015, 8:56 am

Definitely big (and good) news for downtown!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2015, 9:25 am

Great news!

If anyone's looking for City Center floor plans, I posted them a few pages ago: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... 420#p78834

The article confirms Sports Authority will take the 22,000 sf space on the street level only, just in case anyone was fantasizing about a 2-level store. With signed leases in hand from Sports Authority and Saks Off 5th, Shorenstein can now aggressively market City Center for sale this year. I'd guess the building will have a new owner by the end of 2015.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 10th, 2015, 10:41 am

What stands out to me as a good sign, is that Sports Authority only has 2 downtown locations in the US, one in Chicago and one in NYC. Will be pretty cool to be added to that list. It fits the lifestyle of the people who are moving in downtown as well. Fit, active, and young. Or the empty nesters who like to take walks along the river and still need walking shoes or get gifts for their kids and grandkids

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2015, 10:45 am

If anyone's looking for City Center floor plans, I posted them a few pages ago: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... 420#p78834

The article confirms Sports Authority will take the 22,000 sf space on the street level only, just in case anyone was fantasizing about a 2-level store. With signed leases in hand from Sports Authority and Saks Off 5th, Shorenstein can now aggressively market City Center for sale this year. I'd guess the building will have a new owner by the end of 2015.
F&C (unlocked): http://finance-commerce.com/2015/02/spo ... ty-center/

MplsErik
City Center

Postby MplsErik » February 10th, 2015, 10:46 am

Is anything being done with the exterior of the City Center now that two new tenants are coming in? I recall seeing images from the mall redesign but those weren't from the building owner.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 10th, 2015, 10:54 am

So now that the two main spots in City Center are leased, where are the remaining large empty retail locations along the mall or in the nearby skyway level that could support new businesses? Off the top of my head I can think of the Nic on 5th and Renaissance square, but are there any others? There are so many more retailers that I would love to see; REI, Von Maur, Bauer Hockey, Apple, Microsoft, Best Buy, Duluth Trading Co. and others.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2015, 11:23 am

Is anything being done with the exterior of the City Center now that two new tenants are coming in? I recall seeing images from the mall redesign but those weren't from the building owner.
I think this is the news we're all waiting for, but it may not be coming. With Shorenstein putting the building up for sale, and the timeline of the tenants moving in, it seems less likely than ever that they will be doing anything beyond what is absolutely necessary (replacing doors, windows and tenant signage). I'll be very happy to be proven wrong, but it just seems super unlikely that Shorenstein is going to put several million dollars into any facade improvements.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2015, 11:37 am

So now that the two main spots in City Center are leased, where are the remaining large empty retail locations along the mall or in the nearby skyway level that could support new businesses? Off the top of my head I can think of the Nic on 5th and Renaissance square, but are there any others? There are so many more retailers that I would love to see; REI, Von Maur, Bauer Hockey, Apple, Microsoft, Best Buy, Duluth Trading Co. and others.
This is a good conversation starter, but let's pare that list down a bit. While downtown's population is increasing, MOA is as strong as ever and is easily reached by LRT. Two very successful regional malls are not very far from downtown (by car) either: Rosedale is shockingly close to downtown, just over 10 minutes via 35W (for Mill District & inner NE/SE residents). Southdale is literally closer than downtown for much of wealthy SW Minneapolis.

I think the more important question is "What is the extent of the strong retail area of Nicollet Mall?" Is the 2+ block area of zero retail activity (Xcel, Centerpoint, Library, etc.) too much of a barrier for retail to find success north of 4th Street? I've seen a few people clamoring for lots of retail in the Ritz block and Nicollet Hotel block, but I wonder if it isn't too disconnected from the rest of the center of retail activity (IDS/Macy's) to support a major retailer.

As for your list of the available spaces, I'd add in Barnes & Noble (let's be honest, it's 2015). We've heard Macy's is looking to downsize, and/or possibly do a sale/leaseback of their building...though perhaps it was just upper-floor space they were looking to unload. The entire street and skyway levels of Gaviidae I are in play. Walgreens is going in the former Saks space, not touching the "mall" portion of Gaviidae. I'd guess a lot of those prime corner spaces of IDS could be in play as tenants shuffle around downtown. For example, with a strengthened retail scene finally reaching beyond the friendly confines of IDS, a Gap or Hubert White might find that they can survive in a different location, making room for one of the retailers mentioned above. The current Walgreens location could be redeveloped into 2-3 story specialty retail in an unbeatable location.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 10th, 2015, 11:41 am

I know it's probably not long for this world, but I'll be sad to see the Barnes & Noble go when it does. It's easily among the most inviting and attractive sections of the Mall.