Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
NEeaster
Metrodome

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby NEeaster » January 9th, 2016, 7:31 pm

I had moved away and lived in Chicago for 5 years but continued to follow and was stoked by all the development going on back home. Now that I've been back two years, I am become increasingly disappointed in the state of things downtown despite an increasing population - hardly any any new retail, more and more high end and even quick service restaurants closing. What is going on? I understand cities are continually changing and evolving but at what point can we expect things to even out and stabilize here? Again - I really think the city needs to focus on building more affordable homes in the core, and attract more families.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 9th, 2016, 7:39 pm

I mean you can't build a great city if everything keeps opening and closing. Overall - Mpls is a great place to live - just need more options to make living downtown more accessible for daily life.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 9th, 2016, 7:43 pm

How do you propose we stop that? It's not a cities decision to do so. Can we try to attract business? Yes. In fact there are multiple organizations dedicated to bringing business to Minneapolis. But that stuff takes time. It's just the economic circle of life. Sometimes you can't help it.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » January 9th, 2016, 7:49 pm

I doubt increasing 'affordable' market rate housing and bringing more middle class ($40k-$80k of income) families close to downtown is going to drive retail. People in that financial position are probably buying clothes at discount retailers, JC Penny and Kohls not Macy's or boutique shops. Their other purchases are going to be similarly mid range.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 9th, 2016, 8:11 pm

More and more condos will definitely make a difference. And I think downtowns probably do best when they cater to higher incomes, since space is at a preimum. Also there are so many good places to eat and shop outside of downtown.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 9th, 2016, 8:48 pm

So downtown/cities should just be for the wealthy? That isn't sustainable. We need a range of incomes in the city, and a range of shopping/dining options.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 9th, 2016, 9:05 pm

Thats why we get excited when we hear that there could be a Five Guys opening on Nicollet!

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 9th, 2016, 9:09 pm

Thats why we get excited when we hear that there could be a Five Guys opening on Nicollet!
Ha!

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 9th, 2016, 9:20 pm

So downtown/cities should just be for the wealthy? That isn't sustainable. We need a range of incomes in the city, and a range of shopping/dining options.
Cities? No, and please don't twist my words. I don't live downtown and I'm not rich and I know that cities have a range of incomes. I'm talking about CBDs.

Downtown, where space is at a premium? You should be trying to attract money. I think you want to cater to the rich a little more than not. Or at least upper middle class. Not exclusively rich, but enough higher end retail and dining to get people to come down and spend money, and also cater to people who work in corporate jobs and who have more money than the average. Get them to shop more. And enough higher end housing to support that as well. Having a lot of stuff like Chevy's Tex Mex and Marshall's and Applebee's doesn't really drive downtown economically, as we've seen.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 10th, 2016, 10:38 am

Sorry wasn't try to twist what you were saying. Unfortunately, in Mpls we've also seen that high end retail and restaurants haven't been able to survive. I attribute this to our culture's fickal nature, long, cold winters, competition from outlying neighborhoods, regional malls and the MOA. I would love to see more upscale retail return downtown.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 10th, 2016, 11:04 am

Sorry wasn't try to twist what you were saying. Unfortunately, in Mpls we've also seen that high end retail and restaurants haven't been able to survive. I attribute this to our culture's fickal nature, long, cold winters, competition from outlying neighborhoods, regional malls and the MOA. I would love to see more upscale retail return downtown.
That's essentially what I was saying, maybe I didn't word it right. I think condos would help the high end stuff work out more.

I guess we have North Loop, that could be our downtown ultra-lux shopping strip and I'm sure it will develop more.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » January 11th, 2016, 8:07 pm

Emailed Zara via Facebook. They responded the next day and said at this time, they aren't planning to locate a store in Mpls anytime soon. Didn't mention MN in general.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 25th, 2016, 2:46 pm

Anyone know what's going on in renaissance square? Saw some workers in there today clearing out junk.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 2nd, 2016, 3:33 pm

Buried in the story about the Galleria losing tenants is the news that boutique office supplier Russel & Hazel will be leaving for the North Loop.

http://www.russellandhazel.com/

IMO the Galleria would be the perfect place for MPLS to poach retailers from, if they can pull it off (doubtful). Local, smaller format, targeting upscale buyers. Unfortunately I have zero confidence right now in the ability of CBD property managers to attract and retain retailers.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 2nd, 2016, 4:04 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 2326428616

Moving next to D.Nolo. That building is becoming very popular.

NEeaster
Metrodome

Postby NEeaster » February 4th, 2016, 7:05 pm

Pacifier is also relocating E. Hennepin store to building next to D. Nolo

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » February 8th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Pacifier is also relocating E. Hennepin store to building next to D. Nolo
They've been open in that new space for awhile now. It's a nice upgrade.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 18th, 2016, 6:10 pm

Some retailers must have faith in the Baker Center as I see two spaces in the skyway that are being built out at the moment. I wonder when they are going to start on the renovation and redo of the exterior of the Investor's Building on 8th and Marquette. I saw a sign of coming soon for "Green and Grain" where the skyway enters from the Northstar Center.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 5th, 2016, 2:19 pm

The Jos. A. Bank on Nicollet Mall is closing. If there's not a dead mall thread in the suburban forum maybe we should make one and put Nicollet there.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » April 5th, 2016, 2:27 pm

I bought my most recent suit there! Another one bites the dust, so they say.

It had a rather poor street front presence, IMO. Is this related to the Y moving in? Or, do I have my geography mixed up?
Last edited by MattW on April 5th, 2016, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.