Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
PhilmerPhil

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 16th, 2015, 10:19 am

I posted that rumor, and it was SUPER rumory. Like a coworker who has a friend works at Home Depot thinks she may have heard that they were thinking about opening up shop in the old Rainbow space.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 16th, 2015, 10:28 am

Yeah, as nice as it might be for me personally, I really don't think it would happen, unless it's some weird mini concept that they'd use to draw traffic from local hardware stores or something.

I don't remember where I heard or read it, but I think during the housing boom Home Depot was going gangbusters opening stores, to the point where they got so saturated that new stores were getting most of their sales from cannibalizing existing stores sales, and only a little bit from actual new business.

So I'm not sure how much new business a HD at that location would get. The Quarry and Richfield or so close, I don't think Home Depot would actually bother.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2015, 12:51 pm

They put up some wallpaper in the skyway reroute through the future Walgreens. Looks pretty sweet. Sorry for the picture, whoever is in charge of Gaviidae Commons twitter is bad at taking them.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » February 22nd, 2015, 9:13 pm

Here's a flagship Walgreens that *just* opened in Honolulu. I'm guessing ours would be similar.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/gall ... re-in.html

i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 25th, 2015, 7:34 am

I was in at Atmosfere last weekend in Calhoun Square, great store by the way, and the owner mentioned to me that they were opening a second store in the North Loop. It is going to be on Washington. Can't remember exactly where, but I think close to Smack Shack. This will be a great addition to the North Loop.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 25th, 2015, 8:03 am

I'm really impressed with NL's continued transformation from a decaying industrial center to a budding neighborhood to a trendy community with more than just a coffee shop or two. It almost seems like one could make a day out of shopping or hanging out in and around North Loop.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 26th, 2015, 2:14 pm

I'm really impressed with NL's continued transformation from a decaying industrial center to a budding neighborhood to a trendy community with more than just a coffee shop or two. It almost seems like one could make a day out of shopping or hanging out in and around North Loop.
I think it will be at least a few long years before you can say that the NL is a Grand Ave or 50th and France shopping day trip. But yes it is moving in the right direction. A few more projects like 913-927 Washington to fill a few more of those parking lots will help make that happen.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 26th, 2015, 7:22 pm

I think it will be at least a few long years before you can say that the NL is a Grand Ave or 50th and France shopping day trip. But yes it is moving in the right direction. A few more projects like 913-927 Washington to fill a few more of those parking lots will help make that happen.
Agree, there are still too many gaps with the surface parking lots for a truly consistent feeling, but it is gradually filling in and a great improvement from ten years ago. In my pipe dream , I would love to see the Gateway Project lined with street level retail to tie in Nicollet Mall with the budding Washington Ave and North Loop retail scene.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 1st, 2015, 4:35 pm

Radio shack in Gaviidae is officially closed

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 1st, 2015, 5:28 pm

Radio shack in Gaviidae is officially closed
Has been for the past week, actually. I meant to mention that on here, but I guess I never did.

Also, the Blick's Art Supply at 16th and Hennepin has closed, which is a shame. I had a couple friends in the Architecture program in college that went there a lot, since it was the most convenient (only?) art supply store by transit.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 1st, 2015, 5:34 pm

I saw that sign on dick blicks a few weeks ago and also forgot to mention it lol.

Art materials on Lyndale has some stuff for architecture as well.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 1st, 2015, 6:19 pm

Wasn't that Utrecht? At least it was when I was in architecture school.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 1st, 2015, 9:57 pm

They're the same company now, so who knows.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 2nd, 2015, 9:28 am

Wasn't that Utrecht? At least it was when I was in architecture school.
Yes, that was Utrecht, and Blicks bought them. They closed this location due to proximity of other stores & I would imagine rent costs.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » March 17th, 2015, 3:02 pm

I was in at Atmosfere last weekend in Calhoun Square, great store by the way, and the owner mentioned to me that they were opening a second store in the North Loop. It is going to be on Washington. Can't remember exactly where, but I think close to Smack Shack. This will be a great addition to the North Loop.
It's opening in the lower level/basement of ElseWarehouse at 730 Washington Ave. N (below Shag Sushi)...we live in ElseWarehouse and have seen them starting to setup racks, clothing, etc.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 20th, 2015, 7:08 am

Kit and Ace is opening up at 113 Washington Ave.: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... e-kit.html

Kit And Ace, which has stores in New York and San Francisco and a handful in Canada, plans to open 50 other locations this year. It sells a type of "technical cashmere" that's a lot fancier looking than yoga wear, but still comfortable.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » March 23rd, 2015, 5:49 pm

Biz Journals reports that Nordstrom Rack is scouting a place in downtown Mpls.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » March 23rd, 2015, 6:26 pm

Biz Journals reports that Nordstrom Rack is scouting a place in downtown Mpls.
Nordstrom tower Minneapolis at 809 Nicollet Mall?
Meet me in Wells

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 23rd, 2015, 6:27 pm

Yassssss! There goes my allowance.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 23rd, 2015, 7:33 pm

Hahaha! I was just thinking this yesterday when I saw someone carrying a Nordstrom Rack bag. There's one in Seattle at Westlake and it's awesome.

I came here to say that Sports Authority construction has started from the looks of it. I saw some construction workers drilling in some frames