Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 15th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Gaviidae Walgreens space went for $7.5M; parking sold separately

United Properties paid $7.5 million to buy the 50,000-square-foot portion of downtown Minneapolis' Gavidae Common where it intends to develop a new Walgreens store...

mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby mullen » January 6th, 2015, 2:36 pm

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/287661061.html
the reader comments below this story are precious.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 6th, 2015, 3:02 pm

RUMOR!

Rumors have circulated that Saks and another high-fashion retailer may be interested in opening outlet stores in City Center in the former Office Depot space on a corner at S. 7th St. and Nicollet Mall.

From the article.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » January 6th, 2015, 3:55 pm

mullen wrote:the reader comments below this story are precious.
But... but... #1 rule of Teh Interwebs! Never read the comments! ;)

Especially precious was the guy who insistently identified us as Murderapolis. How many homicides did we have last year -- something like 26? While that's obviously 26 more than would be ideal, it's about a fourth of what we had at our peak in the 90s. (And even that paled in comparison to the violence in many other American cities). Oh, and only a small portion of these are random. Again, I don't mean to discount the tragic nature of these deaths, nor to detract from the importance of crime as a social issue... only to illustrate the utter insanity of the mindset that "ZOMG if I ever set foot in Minneapolis I'll DIE!!1!1!eleventy-one!"

But what does one expect from suburbs? Everyone who lives in one's master-planned, expensive neighborhood probably lives a life just like one's own, and there's never even occasion to encounter anyone who doesn't... because one never *wanders*. Every excursion is in the car and pre-planned... even if it's just the 3-mile(!) trip to the convenience store for a Pepsi. That's what suburbs do, by design: They keep people isolated and afraid.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » January 6th, 2015, 4:12 pm

UrsusUrbanicus wrote:Especially precious was the guy who insistently identified us as Murderapolis. How many homicides did we have last year -- something like 26? While that's obviously 26 more than would be ideal, it's about a fourth of what we had at our peak in the 90s. (And even that paled in comparison to the violence in many other American cities). Oh, and only a small portion of these are random. Again, I don't mean to discount the tragic nature of these deaths, nor to detract from the importance of crime as a social issue... only to illustrate the utter insanity of the mindset that "ZOMG if I ever set foot in Minneapolis I'll DIE!!1!1!eleventy-one!"

But what does one expect from suburbs? Everyone who lives in one's master-planned, expensive neighborhood probably lives a life just like one's own, and there's never even occasion to encounter anyone who doesn't... because one never *wanders*. Every excursion is in the car and pre-planned... even if it's just the 3-mile(!) trip to the convenience store for a Pepsi. That's what suburbs do, by design: They keep people isolated and afraid.
So you (justifiably) rip on people who make ignorant generalizations about Minneapolis, but then follow it up with a generalization about the suburbs? I'm not sure how your position is any better than the strib poster's.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 6th, 2015, 4:13 pm

I hope that last part is sarcasm too judgy mc judgerson. Not sure I know too many people in the city that would say "it's only 3 miles, I'll just walk". lol

I have said this before, but I actually think city center could do well with a kind of "urban outlet mall" concept!

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » January 6th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Fair enough -- I probably should have clarified that my points about suburban design were aimed at the furthest of the far exurbs, the area where I grew up (and which I most quickly associate with the broader term "suburbia"). Look up Shakopee on Google Maps, and you'll see what I mean -- miles upon miles of uninterrupted, low-density residential land use, with neighborhoods disconnected from one another and/or designed in curlicue, backtracking, non-walkable patterns. This can't be good for the frequency or breadth of anyone's social interaction, especially for those who aren't vehicularly endowed (teens, some of the elderly, members of one-car families when the car is spoken for)...

And the 3-mile comment was not intended as an indictment of automobile use. Trust me, I wouldn't walk for a three-mile errand, either. My intended target was the design of these places -- the very fact that most homes are located so far from basic amenities that one would essentially have to drive.

What's more, neither of these critiques is an attack on any person. Suburbia contains wonderful folks and jerks just like any other place, and certainly also contains some people who share in many or most urbanist ideals. My point was that the design philosophy and demographic uniformity embodied by extreme exurbia may play a role in making panicky, reflexively anti-Other worldviews more likely -- not that everyone in the suburbs thinks this way.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 6th, 2015, 9:04 pm

UrsusUrbanicus wrote:Fair enough -- I probably should have clarified that my points about suburban design were aimed at the furthest of the far exurbs, the area where I grew up (and which I most quickly associate with the broader term "suburbia"). Look up Shakopee on Google Maps, and you'll see what I mean -- miles upon miles of uninterrupted, low-density residential land use, with neighborhoods disconnected from one another and/or designed in curlicue, backtracking, non-walkable patterns. This can't be good for the frequency or breadth of anyone's social interaction, especially for those who aren't vehicularly endowed (teens, some of the elderly, members of one-car families when the car is spoken for)...

And the 3-mile comment was not intended as an indictment of automobile use. Trust me, I wouldn't walk for a three-mile errand, either. My intended target was the design of these places -- the very fact that most homes are located so far from basic amenities that one would essentially have to drive.

What's more, neither of these critiques is an attack on any person. Suburbia contains wonderful folks and jerks just like any other place, and certainly also contains some people who share in many or most urbanist ideals. My point was that the design philosophy and demographic uniformity embodied by extreme exurbia may play a role in making panicky, reflexively anti-Other worldviews more likely -- not that everyone in the suburbs thinks this way.
You shouldn't make fun of the suburbs, especially planned developments. It is a big decision to choose between gray or tan siding.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » January 6th, 2015, 9:05 pm

slate and sandstone.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 27th, 2015, 8:39 am

Just saw a tweet from Adam Voge at Finance & Commerce that says Saks Off Fifth is stay downtown and moving to City Center.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 27th, 2015, 8:46 am

Cool! It'll be good to have something on the ground floor again. Seems strange, though, that they fire-sold all their inventory, and even furnishings, if they were only moving across the street.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 27th, 2015, 8:56 am

Maybe they'll be upgraded to a regular Saks when/if city center is renovated?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 27th, 2015, 8:57 am

I doubt it. I think this will still be an Off Fifth location. Ali Kaplan is pretty well connected in the retail biz and she specifically tweeted about Off Fifth. https://twitter.com/AliShops/status/560086105840975872

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 27th, 2015, 9:01 am

Sam Black posted a press release he got on Twitter:

-Off Fifth store
-40,000 square feet
-Opening April 2016

Does this mean all the bellyaching from Strib commenters about "losing a department store, getting a Walgreens" can end? Nahhhhhhhhh...
Last edited by xandrex on January 27th, 2015, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 27th, 2015, 9:01 am

Right I'm not saying this won't open near-term as a Outlet location, just that when city center is renovated sometime down the line it would make sense for them to ditch their furnishings anyways and upgrade to a full store.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 27th, 2015, 9:09 am

I tried doing a google image search for Walgreens Marquee Store but it just brings up a whole bunch of pictures of all types of walgreens store. Anyone have an idea of what a typical "Marquee Store" looks like? I really liked the pic that the business journal had of a flagship store in Chicago with all that glass. Any chance they'll open up the Saks building and put in a lot more windows? I'd certainly hope at least some. Would be a shame to have the "cinder block Walgreen" feel downtown with small or no exterior windows.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » January 27th, 2015, 9:10 am

Probably gives them a chance to buy all-new fixtures. I'm sure Saks would like their new store to be as up-to-date as possible. I know we did similar things wayyy back when I worked at Old Navy as it moved from a mall to a standalone B&M.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » January 27th, 2015, 9:11 am

TommyT wrote:I tried doing a google image search for Walgreens Marquee Store but it just brings up a whole bunch of pictures of all types of walgreens store. Anyone have an idea of what a typical "Marquee Store" looks like? I really liked the pic that the business journal had of a flagship store in Chicago with all that glass. Any chance they'll open up the Saks building and put in a lot more windows? I'd certainly hope at least some. Would be a shame to have the "cinder block Walgreen" feel downtown with small or no exterior windows.
It sounds like they haven't quite defined what a marquee store is exactly yet. If they have, I'm not sure they've opened one. We may be experiencing something new for the W, even if it's not as fancy as the flagship store. I hope they're able to open it up quite a bit, though.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 27th, 2015, 9:23 am

Based on what Walgreens was quoted as saying earlier, it seemed like it was going to offer a lot of what the flagship store did, so maybe that but smaller?

I would love to have one like the Chicago flagship. It was a beautiful store to be in.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 27th, 2015, 10:02 am

Oh yea, I was there when they built Saks. Good news for downtown.

ImageGaviidae Common construction 1988 by bapster2006, on Flickr

Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”