Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Re: Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

Postby Mooglemuffins » April 26th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Isn't Tin Fish just on the NE side of Calhoun or were you looking for something different, Mooglemuffins?
You're right, Tin Fish is over there. I just always enjoy going to restaurants in the park space and I'd love to see more around.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 27th, 2017, 9:21 am

How about 50% hill / 50% parking ramp? Cover the lakeside with a downward slope and trees. Then people can hike (or take the elevator) up to top for views of Downtown, Lake of the Isles, and Maka Ska.
When I was in Ireland a couple weeks ago, we visited the Cliffs of Moher on the west coast, and the visitor center there was built into a hill (as described here). Not only the visitor's center, in fact, but a number of storefronts:

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » April 27th, 2017, 9:30 am

When I was in Ireland a couple weeks ago, we visited the Cliffs of Moher on the west coast, and the visitor center there was built into a hill (as described here). Not only the visitor's center, in fact, but a number of storefronts:
I like it! Gets the businesses in there for visitors to enjoy but it blends in well without disrupting the landscape too much.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 27th, 2017, 9:54 am

Hobbits!

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » April 27th, 2017, 7:29 pm

How about 50% hill / 50% parking ramp? Cover the lakeside with a downward slope and trees. Then people can hike (or take the elevator) up to top for views of Downtown, Lake of the Isles, and Maka Ska.

Those stores happen to be open only during certain parts of the season. Mid winter during a typical Atlantic storm those guys are closed. Trust me. The Cliffs of Moher also happen to be a massive tourist attraction that can draw people all the way from Dublin. I'm not sure Lake Calhoun/ Bde Maka Ska has the same draw. I like the idea but I'm not sure it will work here. Given our equally harsh winter that lowers the draw to this area .

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 27th, 2017, 7:48 pm

There was the recent award for the best Dutch building of the year given to a parking garage under ocean side sand dunes.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3061106/th ... -heres-why

I'd love to see of that inspire this parking. For instance, what if the side of the parking structure facing the park and lake was sloped a bit so it could form an earthen hillside. In winter it could function as a sledding hill.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » April 27th, 2017, 7:53 pm

I'd love to see of that inspire this parking. For instance, what if the side of the parking structure facing the park and lake was sloped a bit so it could form an earthen hillside. In winter it could function as a sledding hill.
That parking garage is really cool. However, I doubt they could go subterranean near Lake Calhoun. But the concept may still work without going underground.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » April 27th, 2017, 8:07 pm

That parking garage is really cool. However, I doubt they could go subterranean near Lake Calhoun. But the concept may still work without going underground.
Why not? The one in the article is 300 yards from the ocean. I think the Dutch have proven water tables can be defeated when building underground. The cost may be the larger issue.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 27th, 2017, 8:58 pm

Those stores happen to be open only during certain parts of the season. Mid winter during a typical Atlantic storm those guys are closed. Trust me. The Cliffs of Moher also happen to be a massive tourist attraction that can draw people all the way from Dublin. I'm not sure Lake Calhoun/ Bde Maka Ska has the same draw. I like the idea but I'm not sure it will work here. Given our equally harsh winter that lowers the draw to this area .
Oh, absolutely. I just thought they were a cool thing to bring up re: maka_ska's suggestion.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 5th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » July 5th, 2017, 5:51 pm

We appear to have some Hiawatha Lake depth truthers on our hands.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 5th, 2017, 6:05 pm

There is point worth exploring about raising the level of the course, as much as I’m one promoting closing the courses, Lake of the Isles got tons of fill dumped around the lake raising the ground to deal with the sinking former swamp land.

Shouldn’t Hiawatha get equal consideration with raising the ground with fill? Elected park board members should be put on the spot over why the residents around Lake of the Isles get that consideration while Hiawatha isn’t.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 6th, 2017, 10:09 am

It sure seems like an option that maintains a nine hole course on the less flood-prone parts of the land should be achievable. Open space in this location, which already has a big surplus of open space, isn't of much value.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 23rd, 2017, 7:55 am

The MPRB Planning Committee unanimously voted to stop the pumping. It will go to the full board in a few weeks but it looks like it's a done deal.

The director of golf said 9 hole courses don't make money because people want to pay for a full 18-hole course. I wonder if there's a way to at least keep a driving range and some putting greens, in addition to whatever else they come up with?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 9th, 2017, 8:56 pm

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » August 10th, 2017, 6:52 am

Huge bummer. Hit some balls there Tuesday night, it was really busy.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 15th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Sioux Chef picked for water works site restaurant.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ml?ana=twt

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 16th, 2017, 2:27 am

Wrong kind of Sioux :D

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 4th, 2017, 11:13 am

Hennepin County is considering the renaming of Lake Calhoun. From Comm. Greene's newsletter:
The board will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, October 17 at 6 p.m. to receive public comment on a petition to restore the name of Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis, Minnesota to "Bde Maka Ska," and a separate petition seeking to change the name to "Lake Maka Ska."

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 4th, 2017, 12:56 pm

"Lake Maka Ska" sounds like the best option all around. Otherwise you're going to get a lot of unintentionally-redundant "Lake Bde Maka Ska" things.