Open Streets

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
Nick
Capella Tower

Open Streets

Postby Nick » June 18th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Sorry to start a topic off this way, but here's this whole thing:

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 85201.html
Gun owners target block fair for coming-out party

Article by: MARY LYNN SMITH , Star Tribune
Updated: June 18, 2013 - 9:58 PM

Advocates are encouraging gun owners to bring their weapons to Open Streets family-oriented events in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

A group of gun owners plan to use a series of Twin Cities neighborhood family events for their own gun-toting get-togethers, beginning this weekend.

The gun owners “meet-up” event — being promoted as Open Streets-Open Carry — came as a surprise to some organizers of the Open Streets gatherings and city officials.

“I’m shocked and saddened,” said Nancy Homans, policy director for St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman. “It seems like guns isn’t the right kind of activity for this event. We’re not even allowing alcohol.”

[...]
I...can't help but feeling like I did something to deserve this?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: Open Streets

Postby ECtransplant » June 18th, 2013, 10:35 pm

This is why we can't have nice things in 'Murica

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » June 19th, 2013, 7:21 am

I don't see what the big deal is.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » June 19th, 2013, 7:41 am

This is why we can't have nice things in 'Murica
This. So much for family friendly...

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » June 19th, 2013, 8:28 am

I think Bill L. had a good point on this, if they actually get out of their cars and walk around I do not see the problem. Maybe being in crowds of people will help them with their social anxiety.
Last edited by mplsjaromir on June 19th, 2013, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 19th, 2013, 9:25 am

I don't get what the big deal is. For the open carry folks or for those who would feel unsafe because of it. I agree, getting everyone together and friendly and talking to their neighbors will go a long ways counteract fear - both the fear of people open carrying and the fear of people that feel they need to open carry.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » June 19th, 2013, 10:23 am

In the most positive light, they are being rude. They are using an existing event/organization as a platform to promote their own ideas. Sure they have free speech, and they have a right to be on a public road. But they didn't go through the hassle of raising the money, getting the permits, planning the program, promotion, and publicity. They could get a permit and hold their own open carry event, but that'd be work (and they'd claim discrimination, even though its a bitch to get city permits for anything).

At worst, they are asking for confrontation. Like that preacher who goes to the Pride festival every year to tell everyone they're going to hell. Except there will be more kids and guns involved.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » June 20th, 2013, 7:24 am

In the most positive light, they are being rude. They are using an existing event/organization as a platform to promote their own ideas. Sure they have free speech, and they have a right to be on a public road. But they didn't go through the hassle of raising the money, getting the permits, planning the program, promotion, and publicity. They could get a permit and hold their own open carry event, but that'd be work (and they'd claim discrimination, even though its a bitch to get city permits for anything).

At worst, they are asking for confrontation. Like that preacher who goes to the Pride festival every year to tell everyone they're going to hell. Except there will be more kids and guns involved.
-1. Very well said. I don't like how they are essentially using intimidation tactics to make their point. Ain't nobody trying to take yer guns, just don't want them paraded around en masse at a community gathering with families.

An aside: maybe all the images we see on BBC and CNN of rebels marching with AK's are just headed out to local block parties.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 20th, 2013, 8:32 am

Well no worries, the gun owners are retreating back into their holes:
http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2013 ... events.php

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 20th, 2013, 9:08 am

This will help them to continue pretending they're victims despite almost unbroken legislative success and their membership being drawn largely from the historically dominant social group.
"Who rescued whom!"

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 28th, 2016, 11:56 am

The maps for Open Streets 2017 have been posted for City Council approval.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 28th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Seems like these are nearly 50% longer routes than 2016 and before. Interesting.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 28th, 2016, 2:26 pm

Mmmmm I've been wanting to see Eat Street opened up for a while

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 28th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Whoah, the E Lake route is totally different, ditching everything east of Hiawatha on Lake and going down Minnehaha instead. Very interesting.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 28th, 2016, 3:17 pm

Ugh they're keeping 4th St SE open next year? Someone will probably get hit.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 28th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Whoah, the E Lake route is totally different, ditching everything east of Hiawatha on Lake and going down Minnehaha instead. Very interesting.
Showing off the re-built Minnehaha, I guess.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 28th, 2016, 3:36 pm

So, the University one has all car (and bus?) traffic from Cedar-Riverside diverted onto Washington in the trench, right? Or would that stretch of Washington between Cedar and 19th be open to traffic?

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » November 30th, 2016, 11:45 am

The East Lake/Minnehaha route bums me out. Chopping off the far east end of Lake sucks. I feel like East Lake and Minnehaha could have their own days. Figured that Minnehaha would be back in the mix now that construction is over though. I guess it's a matter of funding. Nice to see the Nicollet route extended north.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 30th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Yeah, Lake St east of Minnehaha was a lot of fun this year, and I'm not convinced 20 blocks of mostly residential Minnehaha will live up to it.

I'm optimistic about the University change, though. The whole portion through campus was mostly a dead zone, and there was little to no wayfinding to get you between the west end of the bridge and Riverside where it started back up. University Avenue and Seven Corners will be better.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 30th, 2016, 1:04 pm

I helped submit an application for Chicago Ave in my neighborhood for 2017, fully knowing that it had a close to zero chance. The process was much more formalized and "community-driven" this year, which makes sense as the demand and interest in hosting OpenStreets expands past the availability of City, MBC, and other organizing capacity to supply OpenStreets events. They were looking to combine some possible routes, which is probably what drove the Lake-Minnehaha alignment.

In the future, I'd like to see if there's a model to do more "Mini Open Streets" in addition to the full-on events. More like big block parties, they could still be quite successful. Streets for people!