Minneapolis City Planning Commission (meetings, agenda items, members, etc.)

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
Silophant

Re: Minneapolis City Planning Commission

Postby Silophant » December 10th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Thanks for the stats!

I do also think that 2018s stats were artificially high - seemed like a lot of stuff got rushed through in December to beat the previous round of IZ that really wasn't ready to go yet, as evidenced by it not having started yet, or just starting recently.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 10th, 2019, 1:15 pm

End-of-year CPC stats:

Kinda shameful showing for Ward 11 (which I initially thought was wrong, forgetting that the Bergran's development is technically in Ward 12).

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 28th, 2020, 1:00 pm

It looks like the City has begun using LIMS for hosting the agendas for Planning Commission (and all other advisory commissions/boards). They started using LIMS for City Council a year or two ago, but kept the boards/commissions on the regular old website. From an end-user standpoint, LIMS makes it a bit harder (more clicks) to get to the agenda(s) that you're looking for. Previously, you could just go to http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/index.htm, click once on "Boards & Commissions", and bam! - all upcoming & most recent meetings were all right there. Now you have to use a drop-down box(es) and it considers Planning Commission & PC Committee of the Whole as separate things (i.e. there does not seem to be a way you can view a single list of CPC & CPC CoW meetings).

If you just want to see a list of the upcoming & most recent commission/advisory board meetings (all, not just CPC), that URL is now: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/Boards/Meetings If anyone can find a way to sort in LIMS to display both CPC & CoW meetings at the same time (without all the other boards), please share here.

At any rate, here's last night's CPC agenda: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/Board/Agenda/CPC/1397
And here's the CoW agenda for 1/30: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/Board/Ag ... C-COW/1423

*LEGISLATIVE INFORMATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

twincitizen

Re: Minneapolis City Planning Commission (meetings, agenda items, members, etc.)

Postby twincitizen » February 6th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Lots of good stuff in the upcoming CPC and CoW agendas. Much of it has been posted in the various project-specific threads, but here are your one-stop shop links to the agendas:

2/10 CPC: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/Board/Agenda/CPC/1449
2/13 CoW: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/Board/Ag ... C-COW/1455

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Re: Minneapolis City Planning Commission (meetings, agenda items, members, etc.)

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » September 16th, 2021, 8:20 am

The slowdown in new Minneapolis projects has been discussed in other downtown threads, but Nick Halter just posted a thread saying only 889 units approved so far this year vs. 2,315 in 2020 and 2,888 in 2019 during the same time. He mentions that planning commission agendas have mostly been empty. I've noticed this too, mostly run of the mill lot splits/combos, etc. Don't know that I have a take other than it seems like the downtown/uptown low hanging fruit properties are mostly spoken for, and maybe things are coming closer to an equilibrium? https://twitter.com/nickhaltermpls/stat ... 24494?s=20

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 16th, 2021, 8:38 am

Riots? Crime rate explosion? Remote working meaning the commute from Elko is no longer an issue?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » September 16th, 2021, 8:46 am

Any idea how this compares to other cities or the burbs?
I do think we are seeing a slow down on the pipeline of new proposals. It could be a cost of construction issue as well. I know some developers have said had they know the costs of lumber they would not have broken ground this year. Getting labor might also be an issue. But It does seem most of the easy places to develop in uptown/downtown are taken now.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » September 16th, 2021, 9:25 am

I'd probably just chalk it up to uncertainty. Most of the projects approved in 2020 had probably been in the pipeline for a year or so already. Developers likely shelved more than a few projects last year thanks to the pandemic.

They'll come back. The Twin Cities still have great vitals. If rising crime is a blemish on our record, then so too is it one on every American city.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » September 16th, 2021, 10:18 am

Also just because as many new proposals are not coming forward doesn't mean slow moving ones are not breaking ground. We had a huge number of proposals tossed out that didnt break ground. The west lake BP proposal is finally moving as they have pulled the pumps and closed the station down as an example

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » September 16th, 2021, 10:35 am

I think a couple things are going on here.

The first is that these numbers are a bit misleading.

It's good to look at them across larger time periods than just a month, or even seven months, because it's not always reliable. For instance, across just five projects that I know broke ground in the first half of 2021, there will be 1,034 housing units. I'm not entirely clear which permit is the one that fixes the date in HUD data, but projects that are pushing dirt around are not in the data yet and we should expect them to be in the near future.

Another thing to note is that the two largest projects currently in the works, West Lake Quarter and 240 Portland, are both working on non-residential portions of the program. When they start working on the housing, they'll do so across a couple buildings, so it won't all land at once. But there's 1,092 housing units across both projects, and barring an unlikely reversal, they will probably be built over the coming years.

The second thing going on here is that, those caveats aside, there really is a drop, and there are a ton of good explanations for why.

The big one is that the pandemic has impacted the project pipeline. Early on, people feared that urban areas were more at risk from the virus. We now know that is not true, but I suspect the belief still persists in some places and will take a while to overcome. Working from home also probably slowed work on some projects that just now would be approaching maturity. Uncertainty about cities and office work post-pandemic has also clearly slowed some mixed-use projects. Further, many projects may have delayed construction starts this year due to supply chain issues and corresponding spikes in material costs, or fear about further riots and unrest.

A lot of these factors have already faded. Others will fade whenever we get our act together and really suppress this virus. Minneapolis' pipeline of projects remains strong. A couple major projects that I listed at the bottom here appear to have gone back to the drawing board (315 Nicollet, Block One, Expo Low Rise...). But new projects may take their place. The three-building redevelopment of the Duffey Paper complex was just submitted to the city and contains 345 units of housing. 17 North Washington seems like it might start construction soon.

I think it's worth noting but not freaking out about the drop in Minneapolis permits. There are a complex mix of factors at play and the city still seems in relatively strong position.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 16th, 2021, 10:37 am

I'm seeing a lot of construction for a city that's apparently abandoned due to crime and riots. Approvals should be expectedly slow right now, the post recession boom didn't truly hit until 2013-2014. And we're still in the thick of a pandemic.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » September 16th, 2021, 10:43 am

Things are shifting out of downtown and to the neighborhoods as well. There are 3 projects on Nicollet in the works between 31st and 35th that will have at least 400 units between them.

I'm glad the Expo low rise is on pause for now, would love to see some more towers go there instead!

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » September 16th, 2021, 11:09 am

I think the riots and continued unrest played a larger role than a lot of people are willing to admit, but that seems to have mostly settled down now (along with improving pandemic impacts), so the city is well-positioned to rebound.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » September 16th, 2021, 11:40 am

The star tribune has reported that the Minneapolis vacancy rates are tightening again from there spike due to 2020 event which should drive more proposals in time. They are still above 2019 but moving in the right direction even in the downtown market from Q1 2021. Downtown was at 10.4% in Q1 and has decline to 7.2%.
https://www.startribune.com/free-rent-n ... 600096862/

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 16th, 2021, 11:51 am

The riots and unrest couldn't have had zero impact, but it was promising to see that 196 units were proposed at the old O'Reilly and Dollar General locations on Nicollet. This is a location that was literally burnt down during that period, and developers are happy to come in and build almost 200 units there.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 16th, 2021, 11:52 am

There are 3 projects on Nicollet in the works between 31st and 35th that will have at least 400 units between them.
Are you counting the Wells Fargo site and the O'Reilly site (neither of which are technically between 31st and 35th)? Or are there other things you're tracking?

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » September 16th, 2021, 12:32 pm

My brain is mush today. Wells Fargo, O'Reilly and Alliance Housing at 3301 Nicollet. Only O'Reilly is market rate.

Wells Fargo is supposed to be 200ish, but I think will be closer to 180 for phase 1. Alliance Housing is 64 and O'Reilly is 169.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » September 16th, 2021, 1:56 pm

My brain is mush today. Wells Fargo, O'Reilly and Alliance Housing at 3301 Nicollet. Only O'Reilly is market rate.

Wells Fargo is supposed to be 200ish, but I think will be closer to 180 for phase 1. Alliance Housing is 64 and O'Reilly is 169.
I am hoping this is just a start of many good things on this stretch of Nicollet. If we expand just a bit, there's 3601 Nicollet which will have 52 market rate units. And then just off Nicollet on 37th st, there will be 12 new market rate units. There would probably be something in the works at 34th and Nicollet, but the owners are planning on tearing down and rebuilding the 1 story Burger King drive thru.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 16th, 2021, 3:46 pm

As for the empty Planning Commission agendas, that's true, but I'm wondering if we've managed to actually clear the backlog of stuff that was frantically submitted by the end of 2019 to beat the IZ requirements kicking in, or if those project that haven't started yet are effectively dead.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 8th, 2021, 10:59 am

The Minneapolis City Planning Commissions held its last meeting of 2021 on Monday evening. I've refreshed my shared tracking spreadsheet with this year's entries, which you can see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... KqsZWkJdV/

Final 2021 stats:

All in all, it was a down year by very recent standards. I'm not sure that would surprise anyone given everything that has happened from 2020-2021. I actually might argue that there's room for some cautious optimism. In the first half of the year, sixteen new projects were been submitted. In the second half of the year, twenty-two non-MPHA new projects were submitted. There has also been an uptick in housing starts as the year draws to a close. It all suggests to me that the past two years had a significant impact on housing development, but that the fundamentals that firms are looking at are still strong. And if you look further back, it was still an above average year for proposals which suggests to me that the societal shifts in the 2000's that have revitalized center cities are not going away.

The best number from this year's CPC approvals is 0.70. That's the ratio of approved parking spaces to approved housing units, and the lowest in my tracking (knowing what we know about history, it's likely the lowest in at least sixty years, but I can't say for sure). Last year had previously tied the record of 0.76, so this was a significant and meaningful drop. 2021 was the fourth straight year in which the CPC approved more than 1,000 housing units without parking spaces. Towards the end of the year, projects subject to Minneapolis' new TDM policy and not subject to any parking minimums came into view. I would hope that these policies would continue to drive down the city's parking ratio, but it's too early to say for sure that this will happen.

Housing development was concentrated in the downtown area, which has been the case for the whole decade, but I was pleased to see a fairly even distribution of housing projects in other neighborhoods as well. One thing to look forward to next year: I expect that Ward 4 will break its eight year streak without a single CPC project, when Houston White's small housing development at 44th and Humboldt moves forward.