Development process in Minneapolis

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
Chava
Nicollet Mall

Development process in Minneapolis

Postby Chava » May 9th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Hello all!

I'm new to the city and trying to understand how people do things here. I came across this Strib Article that talked about frustration that developers encounter when they try to pitch new ideas or developments. http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/ ... ommentHere

What exactly is the process? There's one point in the article where Lisa Bender says that there is no neighborhood approval needed. If that is the case, why do developers spend so much time trying to appease neighbors? Do neighborhood groups wield mass influence over the zoning and planning board?

In Chicago, they did the whole developer presentation to angry neighbors thing, but projects invariably were rammed through. It seems a bit more nuanced here. Enlighten me?

gpete
Union Depot

Re: Development process

Postby gpete » May 10th, 2014, 9:47 am

Neighborhood groups will hold votes on projects to approve or disapprove them, but it has no legal implication.

City Council has the final say on everything. Neighborhood groups and the planning commission weigh in, but City Council can do what it wants.

However, strong neighborhood opposition can create real political pressure on their city council member.

And the city council has a tradition of honoring the wishes of the council member whose ward hosts the controversial project.

So let's say a proposed project in Ward 7 was bitterly opposed by the neighborhood group. Council member Lisa Goodman might feel the heat and decide to oppose it. In the past, most of the council would fall in line and vote down the project to honor Goodman's wishes.

I think that tradition is eroding somewhat, and that's good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » May 10th, 2014, 10:04 am

It seems that the vast majority of projects make it through the process very easily. A few projects have stumbled (Colfax, Linden Hills, Dinkytown Hotel, Grand Av), but those seem to be the exceptions.

I think that one of the main reasons that new development is progressing so quickly is that it is generally in neighborhoods that aren't historic neighborhoods (North Loop, Downtown, Mill District, East Hennepin). Even the majority of the new developments in Uptown are on former industrial sites, which reduces a lot of the controversy. Of course, the Dinkytown, Loring Park, and Lake Calhoun projects have seen much more opposition. I think another reason is that the city is seeing a level of development that hasn't been seen in decades. It helps bring a new tax base to a city that could use more money in the coffers.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » May 10th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Thank you so much for the clarification!

Sounds like council members fear their constituency a bit more than in Chicago. A good thing, some would say.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 10th, 2014, 2:35 pm

Except the neighborhood groups rarely represent the actual neighborhood residents. Usually they end up representing the most vocal segment that has the most free time on its hands. Case in point, LHENA's disdain for renters while something like 75% of the neighborhood is renters. I'm glad Councilmember Bender called them out on being so out of touch with the vast majority of residents in the neighborhood.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 10th, 2014, 9:42 pm

The loudest residents, the ones on the neighborhood boards, they are the ones that are often most politically active.

So they might not be a good representation of the actual 'hood residents, but they are the people who the council member will bump into at their DFL endorsing convention.

Lisa Bender flipped the script and got lots of renters engaged, which was a great success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clf
Metrodome

Postby clf » May 12th, 2014, 9:29 am

I have to disagree with you about the LHENA being against renters. I have attended many meetings and have been warmly welcomed. If renters and home owners in the neighborhood choose not to attend meetings or vote for representation then like any other election they have made that choice of not having representation.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 12th, 2014, 9:40 am

Or it's a process that greatly favors older people with lots of spare time on their hands, and that tends to be homeowners, not renters. It takes more than just putting out a sign that says "renters welcome," you have to make the process accessible to all, not just those with oodles of spare time.

clf
Metrodome

Postby clf » May 12th, 2014, 9:53 am

"oodles of spare time" to attend an election? Perhaps that is why the voter turnout for Presidential elections is down for young generations? They must not have the spare time.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 12th, 2014, 10:05 am

It's not a recent phenomenon, if that's what you're getting at.

Simply getting renters informed about their neighborhood groups is one major hurdle. It would be good if apartment management would include a sheet with contact info for the neighborhood during the leasing process, and perhaps sending reminders to residents once every 6-12 months.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 12th, 2014, 10:08 am

I think it's more the attending meetings piece that he was saying takes a lot of time, rather than the election piece. But I think you knew that and were being willfully obtuse. Renters did vote well, and voted for Bender and hence by proxy they voted for density. But the neighborhood meetings for developers are against density because they skew to older homeowners.

clf
Metrodome

Postby clf » May 12th, 2014, 10:21 am

I meant the elections for the neighborhood board, which were held just recently. I do agree that getting renters more informed would help but it is also up to individuals read notices posted at apartment buildings and mailings. Many friends of mine, despite my pestering, are just not interested in local politics. I'm sure if you asked around many people in the district would not know who Lisa Bender is or what she stands for. Voter turn out is not that great for any local election and still not great for Presidential elections. My point is that if people do not vote can they really complain about representation?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 12th, 2014, 10:34 am

Except the neighborhood groups rarely represent the actual neighborhood residents. Usually they end up representing the most vocal segment that has the most free time on its hands. Case in point, LHENA's disdain for renters while something like 75% of the neighborhood is renters. I'm glad Councilmember Bender called them out on being so out of touch with the vast majority of residents in the neighborhood.
This needs clarification. LHENA as such does not have disdain for renters. Indeed that the annual meeting appeals were made for renters to get involved.

It is true that most board members own property but I don't think that's unique to the Wedge. Most renters typically don't stay in the neighborhood long enough to get elected. You do need to know your neighbors to get elected. Now I'd argue that's a problem with the process. The board could, for example, require that X number of its members be renters. We can certainly improve the current situation.

The biggest problem with renters in my experience isn't the renters but rather the landlords, specifically the owners of the bigger complexes that forbid posting notices and other information on their property. That plus security entrances make it really hard to engage renters in neighborhood activities. Lord knows I've tried to get renters to come to our block party but flyers on lamp posts only do so much.

So it's a lot more nuanced than, "LHENA hates renters." In fact it's exactly the opposite. LHENA desperately wants to engage renters. It's just really, really hard.

Don't confuse LHENA (the board and organization) with vocal development opponents. They are almost entirely separate groups.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » May 12th, 2014, 11:30 am

Or it's a process that greatly favors older people with lots of spare time on their hands, and that tends to be homeowners, not renters. It takes more than just putting out a sign that says "renters welcome," you have to make the process accessible to all, not just those with oodles of spare time.
I've been trying to attend some events with my local councilman, and they all seem to be at 7:30am. Unless you're in the above category, it can be tough to attend. Sigh. If I had those oodles of spare time, I'd be there!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 12th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Jacob Frey? Yeah, that kinda bugs me too. I mean, 7:30am is probably better than, say, 9am or 10am, since there's at least some full-time jobs that don't start 'til 8:30 or 9, but it would be nice if he could alternate them with early evening events.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » May 12th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Yep, Frey. I'm in the office at 7:30am, so it's always a no go for me. The upshot is, the turnout seems to be good. I'm always glad to see participation. Give me one evening and I'll be there with open ears and ready to chat.