Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
twincitizen

Re: Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

Postby twincitizen » April 20th, 2017, 8:57 am

Lake Maka Ska is obviously the ideal compromise solution. I don't get the rigid insistence on using "Bde" at all. It means "lake" for F's sake! There's not a single other lake in MN that doesn't use the word "Lake" in it. Why would this one bde different?

Now, I haven't actually suggested this publicly, because I'd get slaughtered by the advocates who have already made up their minds, but oh well.

Sara Bergen

Postby Sara Bergen » April 20th, 2017, 9:41 am

Meeting about Lake Hiawatha Park planning and groundwater/stormwater pumping update
Thursday, Apr 20 at 6:30 pm @ Lake Nokomis Community Center: The City of Minneapolis, Minnehaha Creek Watershed District, and the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board are convening a public meeting to prepare for an in-depth park planning study.

https://www.minneapolisparks.org/park_c ... p_2_218932

Unfortunately I am unable to attend this tonight. If anyone is able to attend I am interested in hearing your thoughts/takeaways.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 20th, 2017, 9:45 am

Lake Maka Ska is obviously the ideal compromise solution. I don't get the rigid insistence on using "Bde" at all. It means "lake" for F's sake! There's not a single other lake in MN that doesn't use the word "Lake" in it. Why would this one bde different?

Now, I haven't actually suggested this publicly, because I'd get slaughtered by the advocates who have already made up their minds, but oh well.
I agree 100%, and will probably say "Lake Maka Ska". The best way to make sure the renaming doesn't catch on is to include a word that no one can pronounce.

Seriously. How do you pronounce "Bde"?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 20th, 2017, 10:00 am

Seriously. How do you pronounce "Bde"?
/pəˈlidəkəl kəˈrek(t)nəs/

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 20th, 2017, 11:25 am

https://soundcloud.com/mprnews/bde-makha-ska

I typed the same question you did here, but I did it into google instead.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 20th, 2017, 3:03 pm

I've always wondered why another name the lake had—unofficially, at least, as Lake Mendoza (or Medoza)—that also seems to recognize the Native Americans was never really considered.

It seems like a cool name, it makes a reference to the state bird, and is easier to read (for those who are concerned about that).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 20th, 2017, 3:04 pm

I like "Lake Maka Ska" a lot more! It sounds kinda cool, too! "Lake Mendoza" is also fine with me. I guess I'm just against the word "Bde". And here comes the stupid question of the day......: why can't we name it after a prominent Minnesota figure, like "Lake [Humphrey, Ventura, Fitzgerald, Garland, Schultz, Dylan, Prince, Puckett, Garnett, etc.]"?? Or, as Mayor Hodges continues to pit herself and the city against President Trump, call the lake "Lake Obama".

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 20th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Link to the master plan? Does it reduce Lake St by one lane in each direction between the lake and lagoon?

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 21st, 2017, 11:14 am

https://www.minneapolisparks.org/park_c ... rovements/

The Park Board apparently owns the surface parking near the Calhoun Professional Building, and the plan calls for them to eventually develop the land. I testified that they should move their HQ to that property as it is way more transit rich than their current north riverfront location.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 21st, 2017, 11:49 am

Yeah, because the Park Department should be spending more money on its headquarters.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 21st, 2017, 12:01 pm

Exactly. It seems to me that developing that parcel into a significant play park would be good. The current offerings are pretty paltry. It would be nice to get some real equipment near the lake. Doesn't look like that's in the offing, though.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 21st, 2017, 9:48 pm

I thought the master plan was calling for a new 2-way parkway connection to Market PLaza through that spot.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 23rd, 2017, 2:34 pm

Yeah, because the Park Department should be spending more money on its headquarters.
Yes. The HQ would go in a building that also has housing. The point is the parcel is on the train line. They would make money on the deal, and use the developer fee to be able to pay for the new boat launch in addition to a variety of other stuff.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 25th, 2017, 9:41 pm

More details on the development of NW Calhoun.

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... t-calhoun/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 26th, 2017, 9:43 am

A parking ramp?!?!?

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » April 26th, 2017, 10:25 am

A parking ramp?!?!?
Yes, please. They'd better add a parking ramp if they're getting rid of the giant surface lot for Calhoun Business Center and general lake parking. That area needs some kind of parking.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 26th, 2017, 10:34 am

Yes, some parking is needed, but a big parking ramp with a few park-related retail spots is a huge missed opportunity.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » April 26th, 2017, 6:29 pm

Yes, some parking is needed, but a big parking ramp with a few park-related retail spots is a huge missed opportunity.
Oh man, I would love to see a nice restaurant over there in the park area, kind of along the same feel as the Sea Salt over by the falls.

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome

Postby LyndaleHoosier » April 26th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Isn't Tin Fish just on the NE side of Calhoun or were you looking for something different, Mooglemuffins?

maka_ska
Block E

Postby maka_ska » April 26th, 2017, 8:04 pm

How about 50% hill / 50% parking ramp? Cover the lakeside with a downward slope and trees. Then people can hike (or take the elevator) up to top for views of Downtown, Lake of the Isles, and Maka Ska.