Permit Parking

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Permit Parking

Postby xandrex » October 23rd, 2014, 3:02 pm

And what happens when a street is dense enough that even with Critical Parking there's still far more residents with permits than there are spaces on the street?
I assume this is much more likely on streets where renters vastly outnumber owners (which in Minneapolis is predominantly SFH ownership rather than condos or townhomes). As David points out, it's probably harder to wrangle enough of them to pass these things.

I assume that while an apartment also may have more cars in general, it's likely that cars per household is perhaps significantly lower than homeowners, not the least of which is due to a lower level of HHI. In other words, renters probably aren't as reliably pro-car.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 23rd, 2014, 7:54 pm

And what happens when a street is dense enough that even with Critical Parking there's still far more residents with permits than there are spaces on the street?
That's why people are opposed to density!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 23rd, 2014, 10:15 pm

Ask Loring Park.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 24th, 2014, 8:26 am

Ask Loring Park.
That's pretty true. Loring is a great neighborhood, but parking is so tight that I know many people who have skipped over the neighborhood rather than deal with the parking issue. In many neighborhoods in this city, it's a tough sell to pick an apartment where parking isn't easy when you can go just a little further away and see your options open up greatly.

Related: Loring apartments are priced pretty similar to Uptown rentals. But the killer is that Uptown frequently comes with a parking spot with rent (and if not, many have lots with fairly low fees), while Loring seems to start charging around $100 and only going up.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 24th, 2014, 8:51 am

I'm shocked Loring Park isn't all metered.

mulad

Postby mulad » October 24th, 2014, 11:03 am

That's why people are opposed to density!
Or things like this:

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 19th, 2014, 12:25 pm

The requested critical parking area for 42nd Ave S and Nawadaha Blvd was found to not meet the ordinance requirements by city staff. Specifically staff found the adjacent property occupants had more than sufficient off street car storage. Transportation and Public Works Committee approved their recommendation on November 18.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2014, 12:34 pm

woo hoo! Though I heard at that public meeting that the idea never stood a chance. But it's great it never even made it to the petition phase.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 19th, 2014, 12:58 pm

The requested critical parking area for 42nd Ave S and Nawadaha Blvd was found to not meet the ordinance requirements by city staff. Specifically staff found the adjacent property occupants had more than sufficient off street car storage. Transportation and Public Works Committee approved their recommendation on November 18.
Huh. I didn't know that could be a factor. The Wedge certainly has a enough off-street parking so critical parking designation should be denied on that basis.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 19th, 2014, 2:20 pm

The neighbors did get the requisite signatures. The staff report is available on the committee's site. It's a very quick read. Staff inventoried property occupants off street car storage and found many on the petition had more off street spots than vehicles.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2014, 2:35 pm

Wish we could charge them for the staff time it took to build that report.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 19th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Staff inventoried property occupants off street car storage and found many on the petition had more off street spots than vehicles.
That's certainly true on my block. People park on the street because their 3-car garage is full of junk.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 19th, 2014, 3:14 pm

The guy who submitted petition has 1 vehicle and 3! off street parking spaces.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 19th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Yeah, my street was typically 80-90% full in the summer and fall. When we had to vacate for leaf clearing few cars came back, and now with snow there are maybe 10 cars on the whole block. Everyone prefers to just park on the (very shady) street since it's easy (and because they pile up junk in the garage).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2014, 4:24 pm

It's amazing how many garages got cleaned out enough to be usable before this cold snap hit ;)

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » November 19th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Can't ever recall seeing a single family house in Uptown with a 3 car garage. Hmm..maybe 1 in 50? Hell my house didn't have a garage or off space parking.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 19th, 2014, 10:13 pm

Can't ever recall seeing a single family house in Uptown with a 3 car garage. Hmm..maybe 1 in 50? Hell my house didn't have a garage or off space parking.
Who said anything about a single family home? The one I'm thinking about is a duplex with one car in the garage. Apparently the other residents don't own a car.

That said, I'd be quite surprised if there wasn't a SFH in the Wedge with a three-car garage. They aren't *that* big. There are certainly plenty of two-car garages and most every place without a two-car garage has uncovered lot space dedicated to cars.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » November 20th, 2014, 8:47 am

Who said anything about a single family home? The one I'm thinking about is a duplex with one car in the garage. Apparently the other residents don't own a car.

That said, I'd be quite surprised if there wasn't a SFH in the Wedge with a three-car garage. They aren't *that* big. There are certainly plenty of two-car garages and most every place without a two-car garage has uncovered lot space dedicated to cars.
Oh okay then, no one said anything about single family homes and yes there probably is at least ONE single family home in the Wedge that has a small 3 car garage. Geesh.

clf
Metrodome

Postby clf » November 20th, 2014, 10:51 am

My building in the north wedge has 38 tenants and 2 off street parking spots. Although many of us do not have cars, there is always a fight for parking with all the bar and restaurant patrons and staff. When friends visit they usually have to park 3 to 4 blocks away. I would love to have the little street I'm on to have permit parking.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 20th, 2014, 10:55 am

My building in the north wedge has 38 tenants and 2 off street parking spots. Although many of us do not have cars, there is always a fight for parking with all the bar and restaurant patrons and staff. When friends visit they usually have to park 3 to 4 blocks away. I would love to have the little street I'm on to have permit parking.
Your street should have parking meters.