What's Your Take On Minneapolis E-Democracy?

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
QuietBlue
Target Field

Re: What's Your Take On Minneapolis E-Democracy?

Postby QuietBlue » March 6th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I think "vox" is commonly used enough that VOX Media wouldn't have much grounds for that, but IANAL.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 6th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure we should assume she didn't want it known that she's behind it.
Interesting that the main blogger’s name is “Neighbor2All”, while other bloggers give their real name.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 6th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Was it ever established during the whole WedgeLive ordeal that she doesn't actually live anywhere close to the Wedge?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 7th, 2019, 7:28 am

Carol lives in Longfellow, she gives her exact address on her campaign website so it's not exactly a secret.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 7th, 2019, 11:08 am

Her address is listed in the whois records for vox.mn.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 7th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » March 8th, 2019, 11:02 am

I'm not sure I understand why anonymity is relevant here. Neither the wedgelive youtube channel nor the "Times Picayune" website offer any clues about who is operating them and the whois info is hidden. Whoever operates these things really, really doesn't want people to know who they are. The same goes for the "Neighbors for More Neighbors" site. There is no "about" page.

Maybe you guys are amused that Carol didn't scrub every last trace of her identity which could link her to the site? Like that's some sort of embarrassing amateurish mistake?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 8th, 2019, 11:46 am

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 8th, 2019, 11:54 am

Welp.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 8th, 2019, 12:31 pm

"Who is WedgeLive" is Minneapolis' deepest secret!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 8th, 2019, 1:52 pm

I'm not sure I understand why anonymity is relevant here. Neither the wedgelive youtube channel nor the "Times Picayune" website offer any clues about who is operating them and the whois info is hidden. Whoever operates these things really, really doesn't want people to know who they are.
Every post on the WedgeLive website says "by John Edwards" in the byline.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » March 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Is John Edwards a real person? I always viewed him as a sort of mythical figure, kind of like Tyler Durden of ZeroHedge.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 8th, 2019, 2:34 pm

He IS legendary. So...

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 8th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Man, what if he's just a figment of Carol Becker's mental health whatever (ala Fight Club)...

If he is, he's fooled the Strib and the courts: http://www.startribune.com/blogger-minn ... 502829952/

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 8th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Man, what if he's just a figment of Carol Becker's mental health whatever (ala Fight Club)...

If he is, he's fooled the Strib and the courts: http://www.startribune.com/blogger-minn ... 502829952/
Funny that the second comment in that article, which gives “kudos to Ms. Becker” is by “Neighbor2All”, which just so happens to be the name of the primary blogger on Vox.MN Image

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 8th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Well, look at that.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » March 8th, 2019, 3:37 pm

I think "vox" is commonly used enough that VOX Media wouldn't have much grounds for that, but IANAL.
IANAL too, but I disagree. Vox Media is a well known national news source. Vox.mn is also trying to be a source for news.

Creating a Vox.mn seems to be using Vox Media's brand capital, and grounds for action agains the infringing party.

johneapolis
Block E

Postby johneapolis » March 8th, 2019, 4:25 pm

In the interest of transparency, I am John Edwards, and I sign all my posts at wedgelive.com, where I have been producing content about local and neighborhood politics since 2014.

In 2014, vox.com launched and became a popular source of news about national politics and policy.

In 2015, Carol Becker registered the website voxmn.com (not to be confused with her current website vox.mn).

In 2017, I ran as a write in candidate against Carol Becker for Board of Estimate and Taxation (partly as a joke and partly because Carol Becker is an objectively terrible person), and received 1539 first choice votes. I did not win.

In 2018, the prestigious City Pages awarded wedgelive.com with the honor "Best Website in the Twin Cities."

Also in 2018, Minneapolis politics was dominated by a debate about what would later become the nationally-heralded 2040 comprehensive plan. I co-founded a group called Neighbors for More Neighbors to advocate for the passage of a good plan (ultimately successful). At the same time, I was writing extensively about issues and politics around the 2040 plan on Wedge LIVE.

In July 2018, Carol Becker — who at this point had become leader of a group of 2040 plan opponents, known popularly as the "Red Sign Brigade" because of their MAGA-style yard signs located in wealthier, whiter parts of town — attempted to trademark and register as a business the name of my website "Wedge LIVE." She explained at the time that "Wedge Live" would be the name of her new "live" podcast about "wedge issues." Becker also hinted that this plot involved a group of her friends, but she said, "I don’t want to name any names."

Shortly after Carol Becker's attempt to hijack the name of my website and social media accounts, I initiated a lawsuit to make her go away. This lawsuit was settled in December 2018, with Becker acknowledging my ownership of the name “Wedge LIVE.” Additionally, Becker agreed that she will “never assert any claim to these marks in the future.” Other terms of the settlement remain confidential.

In 2019, in a case of serious sour grapes over the 2040 plan, Carol Becker and friends appear to be behind an effort to amend the city's charter to remake the Minneapolis political system: eliminating 4 city council seats entirely and shifting 3 of those seats to an at-large system that would favor the high turnout, whitest, wealthiest parts of the city.

hiawather
Metrodome

Postby hiawather » March 8th, 2019, 7:08 pm

She practices a shockingly slimy brand of politics and her specialty is wrapping the wishes of middle-age (and older) white property owners (all of which I fit into demographically) in progressive language. Basically, if you disagree with her you are developer-funded astroturf and should be investigated by local media. I mean, really, where could all my money come from that I have all this time to write this post? Someone needs to find out! And just as it is in vogue for conservatives nationally to attack the ref or the rules of the game when you don't get your desired policy outcome, Carol's charter amendment was as predictable as turning a page in a playbook.

An utterly cynical and reptilian form of politics for a college professor. I wouldn't believe a small-time politician would jettison their integrity with such gusto had I not been witnessing it.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 8th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Is she behind Landlords For More Landlords, too?