Arby’s Island

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Arby’s Island

Postby twincitizen » February 20th, 2018, 11:41 am

Chef wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 10:02 pm
I think this would be a great place for a park or a plaza. It is in the middle of a prime commercial district and it is only a matter of time before it is surrounded by midrises on all sides. In Europe that would be a classic place to put a square or piazza. It would be a public space where people would genuinely hang out. Since we don't do piazzas in Minnesota a park would be the next best thing.
I agree in theory. But Uptown is not exactly short on green space or quasi-public open/plaza space. West of Hennepin you have the "mall" green space. Right in the heart of Uptown is the Mozaic plaza which is being enlarged for the office building currently under construction. Just south of LynLake is Bryant Square Park. And running throughout the area is the Greenway. And the 29th Street woonerf sorta adds a limited-use plaza/open space. One thing that might've been useful would be a Greenway "trailhead" type of park like this one at 11th Ave: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9505452 ... a=!3m1!1e3 Unfortunately, that concept works a lot better north of the Greenway than on the south side (where it would interfere with future Midtown trains).

Between the Cub and Arby's sites, I would favor the developer adding a quasi-public open space over paying the park dedication fee. There's definitely room among the two parcels to add a marginally useful green space somewhere. Seems like a safer bet for the Cub parcel than the smaller Arby's island though.

Multimodal
Nicollet Mall

Postby Multimodal » February 20th, 2018, 2:24 pm

amiller92 wrote:We aren't adding much affordable housing at all, and I can't think of any new affordable housing in Uptown at all (don't follow that closely so I might not be up to speed).

Two (or more) new affordable developments will make Uptown not "walkable, with shopping, work, food, drink, arts, library, parks, recreation, entertainment, etc. all right within the neighborhood?"
The (deserved) hue & cry today is for more affordable housing. We do need it.

But not on every site. That’s what I was reacting to. Some people now want affordable housing on every new site that comes up. Indeed, I was responding to a suggestion to put affordable housing on this site.

Location. Location. Location.

I’m just thinking about what’s appropriate on this particular site. To me, this site is way too important to put a generic building on that takes up the entirety of the lot to keep costs down for affordable housing.

This lot is a keystone of Uptown, not just filler.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » February 20th, 2018, 7:08 pm

twincitizen wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 11:41 am
Chef wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 10:02 pm
I think this would be a great place for a park or a plaza. It is in the middle of a prime commercial district and it is only a matter of time before it is surrounded by midrises on all sides. In Europe that would be a classic place to put a square or piazza. It would be a public space where people would genuinely hang out. Since we don't do piazzas in Minnesota a park would be the next best thing.
I agree in theory. But Uptown is not exactly short on green space or quasi-public open/plaza space. West of Hennepin you have the "mall" green space. Right in the heart of Uptown is the Mozaic plaza which is being enlarged for the office building currently under construction. Just south of LynLake is Bryant Square Park. And running throughout the area is the Greenway. And the 29th Street woonerf sorta adds a limited-use plaza/open space. One thing that might've been useful would be a Greenway "trailhead" type of park like this one at 11th Ave: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9505452 ... a=!3m1!1e3 Unfortunately, that concept works a lot better north of the Greenway than on the south side (where it would interfere with future Midtown trains).

True, but none of those spaces really work as public hang outs. Minneapolis doesn't have a single public square type public space like you would see in Europe, the east coast or in a New England village green. It is something the city is sorely lacking. This is a perfect spot to create one. The classic square or village green is surrounded by retail on all sides and is a natural place to hang out because people are there already, not because it is decreed to be one by a park board. All great cities should have at least one.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 21st, 2018, 9:39 am

We don't have any like Europe, but we've got lots of public square type places - they just happen to be next to water or another amenity. Peavey Plaza, for one, but the pavilion at Minnehaha Falls, the beaches and Tin Fish (did the branding change?) at Lake Calhoun, St. Anthony Main, Target Field Plaza and even the government center plaza.

But I know what you mean, we could make a public place in the heart of Uptown, which has some appeal. On the other hand, it's likely be continue to be surrounded on three sides by speeding, one-way cars which would significantly undermine it's utility as a hang out place. And we desperately need housing, so on net I'd choose housing.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » March 13th, 2018, 3:22 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ml?ana=twt
The Uptown Arby’s closed recently and Supervalu owns that property. What is Supervalu planning to do there?

Yeah, we thought [Arby's] would extend the lease, so it was new information to us. And it's a really great site. So, we’re evaluating options right now.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » March 14th, 2018, 8:36 pm

I thought they owned part of that site. Was Arby's just renting?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 14th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Yes, Arby’s was renting. Their lease was coming up, and wanted to sign a new 10-year lease to stay. Supervalu wouldn’t give them a 10-year lease, so instead of agreeing to a shorter lease term Arby’s made the decision to walk away.

As for why Arby’s would not sign a 1 year or 3 year lease (or whatever term Supervalu was offering), I’m guessing the store badly needed a major remodel, and Arby’s wasn’t willing to put that kind of money up if they had no guarantee of sticking around long enough to earn the money back.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”