Southside - General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Tiller
Foshay Tower

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Tiller » March 26th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Anyone have the scoop on the city's side of this? It doesn't really mention why it must be redone.

Help Bull's Horn build an eco-friendly parking lot, get discounted beer

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/he ... /507664931

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 26th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Paving a surface parking lot isn't what comes to mind when I think "eco-friendly a block from a light rail station."

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 26th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Thought maybe they were using permeable asphalt or something, but doesn't sound like it.

On streetview it looks like it's essentially gravel now (broken old asphalt?). Don't think gravel is allowed, even though it's permeable and preferable in my view to concrete or asphalt as long as it isn't running off.

MattW
Union Depot

Postby MattW » March 26th, 2019, 2:08 pm

From the City Pages article:
...Installing a rain garden, cisterns, and permeable surfaces is going to cost the bar about $114,000. So, last week, they launched a GoFundMe campaign...

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 26th, 2019, 3:01 pm

From the Go Fund Me (https://www.gofundme.com/bull039s-horn-beer-for-water):
he Details
Total Project Cost: $114,000

1) Rain garden to treat parking lot and roof runoff.

2) Two above ground 500 gallon cisterns. A pump will allow for the harvested rainwater to be used for the rain garden and plantings thus conserving potable water.

3) Permeable Pavers at two stalls alongside the cisterns.

4) Concrete Rumble Strip at the entrance of the parking lot to migrate parking lot overflow into the rain garden.

5) Paving the lot.

6) Concrete for patio, garbage enclosure, and building doorways as well as fencing for garbage enclosure.

Multimodal
Target Field

Postby Multimodal » March 26th, 2019, 3:17 pm

That’s a tiny parking lot, in a mostly residential area. Too bad they couldn’t‘ve turned it into a green outdoor seating area (like W.A. Frost).

I assume there’s plenty of parking available on local streets. Mpls doesn’t require them to have onsite parking, do they?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 26th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Since gravel/dirt isn't a permitted surface, I'm curious how they were allowed to open while leaving the parking lot as dirt/mud for an entire year. That would seem to be a required punchlist item before the city would give them an occupancy permit, at least it certainly would have been in the 'burb I work for. I'm guessing that since this wasn't new construction, and the 'gap' between Sunrise Inn closing and Bull's Horn opening was maybe less than a year, the city lacked any legal 'teeth' to make them do it.

EDIT: I'm not sure if any parking would be required. Remember that this building is home to more than just Bull's Horn. It's them, their commercial kitchen space (rented out to food trucks, etc...maybe not counted separately), the SENA neighborhood office, and a barbershop. I'd be a little surprised if all of that didn't come with some amount of required parking (at least under current ordinances, maybe none would be required after the upcoming code rewrites).

But yes there is plenty of parking available on nearby streets, and I agree it would be much cooler if they just turned it into a larger seating area and planted trees, etc. Anecdotally, area street parking is utilized a lot more heavily with Bull's Horn vs. the previous Sunrise Inn. It got a little narrow for buses to pass by on 34th Ave this winter.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 26th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Seems like Mpls site plan enforcement has no teeth... Another example. Ken and Norm's liquor at 48th and Chicago. They received site plan approval for a large walk-in cooler expansion which has now been in use for over two years. Yet there's still no fence or wall separating pedestrians on the public sidewalk from motorists backing out of parking spaces, an original condition of approval. https://goo.gl/maps/9AsUCzZuDoD2

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 26th, 2019, 9:53 pm

K&N did do a little work making the lot nicer somewhat recently. It doesn’t look like the street view any more. But yes, it was nothing but asphalt for a looooong time.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 29th, 2019, 9:55 am

The proposal for the 4700 block of Cedar was at the Planning Commission Committee of the Whole. Tweets about it here: https://twitter.com/ajm6792/status/1111379650901508096

Contrary to the first tweet, turned out to maybe the 5-7 non participant observers there.

I'd really like to see this projected connected to pedestrian improvements in the area, which the developer seemed to have some interest in (both talking to the commission and overheard conversation afterward), although I don't know who would pay for them or if we could agree on what they are. Commissioner Kronzer mentioned the possibility of a median forcing right in/right out on Cedar, and the developer said there's no way that would for for the grocer. I think we should insist on it.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 29th, 2019, 10:44 am

Different neighborhoods, I guess, but the NE Lunds parking lot connects to one-way 4th St, which is pretty much the same thing, and they're doing fine.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 5th, 2019, 3:25 pm

From Nextdoor, CM Andrew Johnson on the Bergans/47th and Cedar Ave development

Andrew Johnson, Howe·Edited 20m ago
Council Member Andrew Johnson here. I want to make sure you all have accurate information on this proposal and the land use process.

It is my understanding that the Bergan family decided to privately sell this site to a new owner. That new owner is interested in building a five-story mixed-use building that will include a grocery store (the grocery store brand has not yet been publicly announced). There will be an upcoming community meeting hosted by the Standish-Ericsson Neighborhood Association (SENA) on this proposal, but a date has not been set yet.

Because of Federal and State laws (including the Constitution), property rights in our nation are strong. Therefore, the new owners have a right to build on their land. This does not mean they can build whatever they want, but given the current zoning, they are allowed, as a right, to build a multi-story mixed-use building. This has nothing to do with the 2040 Plan, as the zoning code has not yet been updated after the 2040 Plans passage. It's worth noting that even if the zoning code had been updated by now as a result of the 2040 Plan, it wouldn't substantially change the scale or height of what is allowable on this parcel.

Regarding the proposed five stories, the current zoning for this site allows five stories in height with conditions (what is known as a conditional use permit). Whether to grant the conditional use permit (and any other land use questions) will be decided through a quasi-judicial proceeding involving the Planning Commission. They legally have a narrow scope when considering these matters; in other words, given that it involves property rights, it is NOT a popularity contest and must be decided via a careful weighing of laws, code, policies, precedent, etc. Unless decisions by the Planning Commission are appealed, they will not come before the City Council. (Note: Because of the quasi-judicial nature of land use decisions, I am not allowed to weigh-in on this proposal, as it may come before the Council where I would then be acting essentially as a judge.)

The proposal includes apartments which the developer intends to rent at market rate. Once the 2040 Plan is codified, it will require some affordability in every project (a policy known as Inclusionary Zoning), but given that it is not yet codified (and the interim IZ policy is narrow in scope), this project will not be required to make a percentage of units "affordable" at <60% of the Area Median Income.

The City's Public Works Department is requiring the developers to conduct a traffic study. The results will be used to require changes to the design or layout to mitigate impacts.

For those interested in learning more and sharing their opinions, the next step is to show up at the community meeting. The best way to know when it gets scheduled is to connect with SENA either via their Facebook page or website. You can also call or email them as well. Once the owners submit their final land use application, it will then trigger the formal process where notification is sent out to nearby residents, a public hearing will be set before the Planning Commission, and City planning staff will analyze all the land use questions and compile a report with recommendations for the Commission. If you have any additional questions about this process, email me at: andrew.johnson@minneapolismn.gov

Multimodal
Target Field

Postby Multimodal » April 5th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Factual, informative posts on NextDoor? That’s new.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Southside - General Topics

Postby Anondson » April 11th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Center for Performing arts at 38th and Pleasant proposing to add a 4 story expansion.
https://twitter.com/nickmagrino/status/ ... 0004691970

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » April 13th, 2019, 10:34 am

Five Watt empire continues to expand. Looks like they're taking over the former Vicinity space at 34th and Lyndale (based on signs in the windows).

Blaisdell Greenway
Nicollet Mall

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 15th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Out of curiosity, I researched and reported the seven 2-bed 1-bath units available in my neighborhood. One bedroom rents are all over, including above and below this range, but all 2-beds (including condo mortgages) were within $1200-$1600. $1550 or $1575 for renovated units in 2.5 story midcentury walkups on Pillsbury vs. $1600 for new construction, hi-end finish on Nicollet.
https://twitter.com/devinforparks/statu ... 71809?s=20

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 18th, 2019, 2:58 pm

I bet the difference between $1200/month and $1500-1600/month is whether utilities are included.

Blaisdell Greenway
Nicollet Mall

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » April 18th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Tenant pays electricity on all of them, with most of the units' HVAC consisting of electric baseboard and/or wall units. "Free heat" in the two downstairs duplexes I found.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”