Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Postby twincitizen » July 30th, 2019, 10:12 am

CalMcKenney wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 8:18 am
I think the SWLRT will help a ton with reverse commuters going to work in Eden Prairie and Minnetonka, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Too bad running it directly through Uptown/Whittier was never an option that anyone ever considered

swallman
City Center

Postby swallman » July 30th, 2019, 12:39 pm

alexschief wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:46 am
The principle of induced demand works whenever you provide a good to people for free, or bake the cost into what they are already paying. If you build parking people will fill it. If you don't build parking or charge a separate, market-rate fee for it, people will find alternatives. That's why it's essential to not just reduce minimums, but put pressure on developers to build less parking or unbundle the cost from the rent.
This is very true - my wife and I are moving downtown (CBD) and a single parking spot is $200, 2nd spot is $250. At the cost of a 2nd parking spot along with car payment, insurance, etc. it's way easier to just commute.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » August 7th, 2019, 8:42 am

Looks like there will be a webcam for 410 W. Lake:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/Frana

A reminder on the project:

https://www.southwestjournal.com/new...-lake-harriet/

The webcam at the moment is definitely not this area, but image is probably a place holder for now?

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » August 13th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Anyone have more info about this project. It popped up on my facebook feed today.

https://www.facebook.com/events/430516867555985/
IMPORTANT NEIGHBORHOOD UPDATE: Meeting to determine the fate of The Mall in Uptown TONIGHT!!!

This may be your LAST chance before they start removing the trees and parking spaces along the Mall!!

The Park Board is looking to rush through a decision on removing the historic street "The Mall" in Uptown. This is more than a street, as you see in the picture above it's a beautiful path leading to the chain of Lakes surrounded by some of Uptown's designated historic brown stone apartments. It's used by our friends at Uptown Art Fair "Official" and East Isles Farmers Market.

This plan will include removing all of the large old trees, the parking that the retail workers of Uptown use and the affordable historic apartments use (they have little to no parking since they were built ~1900). This is really sad for Uptown that the minorities agenda is being pushed so they can have a volley ball court a few blocks closer.

Please consider attending this meeting and fighting for Uptown, it's tonight!! They have stacked it with people who support this, lets make sure regular people are being consulted too: Grace Church on 28th at 7 o’clock tonight. If you need transportation I can help, just ping me.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 13th, 2019, 2:33 pm

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » August 13th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Isn't this just the master planning document that covers all of the parks in that service area? I didn't think any of these projects had funding or a timeline for implementation.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 13th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Yes, I think that's true. However, the Mall area appears to have been significantly revised from the original plan, so apparently they got some feedback from somewhere that not everybody agrees with.

I'd tend to agree, at a minimum, that this is a stupid place to put a sand volleyball court.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”