Zest Apartments - (5426 Nicollet Avenue)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Zest Apartments - (5426 Nicollet Avenue)

Postby mister.shoes » December 13th, 2012, 5:27 pm

I know this news is old, but I drive by this site regularly and noticed that some "coming soon!" signs have gone up somewhat recently. My digging-for-development skills aren't well-honed as of yet, but I did find a few relevant links:

Strib story
site plan

While nowhere near as sexy as 99% of the projects on this board, it'll be a great addition to that area. The two little commercial buildings getting replaced are in complete shambles. Diamond Lake Road & Nicollet Ave is a very busy intersection in a nice part of town with lots of good commercial options—gas station notwithstanding. With bus stops right out front on Nicollet, these apartments should be in high-demand.

On a rather humorous note, the building directly next to Holiday has an "open during construction" sign in the window. Can't wait to see how that's going to work, what with the complete demolition and all.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Nathan
IDS Center

Re: Nicollet Ave Apts (5422-5426 Nicollet)

Postby Nathan » December 13th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Cool, the rendering of the facade on the strip article looks cool... I don't know if it's too big...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nathan
IDS Center

Re: Nicollet Ave Apts (5422-5426 Nicollet)

Postby Nathan » December 13th, 2012, 5:33 pm

mister.shoes wrote:On a rather humorous note, the building directly next to Holiday has an "open during construction" sign in the window. Can't wait to see how that's going to work, what with the complete demolition and all.
I think that section of Nic was under construction for a while ;) But oh yes, the irony...

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Nicollet Avenue Apartments - (5426 Nicollet Avenue)

Postby Nick » December 30th, 2012, 9:58 pm

I was doing cleanup around the forum and was looking for more information about this development, and noticed that these guys are the developers here. Maybe city living is making a comeback! Look at their "Greenway on the Park" land parcel :lol:

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 31st, 2012, 10:36 am

Nick wrote:I was doing cleanup around the forum and was looking for more information about this development, and noticed that these guys are the developers here. Maybe city living is making a comeback! Look at their "Greenway on the Park" land parcel :lol:
Yikes! So.......claustrophobic!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » December 31st, 2012, 12:17 pm

Since it is apparently picture posting time, here is the current state of the site (taken about two weeks ago, but nothing has changed since).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 31st, 2012, 7:08 pm

Yeah....big or no, this is a much-needed improvement to this site and to this neighborhood. I'd like to see continuing infill on a slightly smaller scale lot by lot throughout the major corridors of the city, like Nicollet.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » March 26th, 2014, 8:54 am

Drove by this this morning and it looks like a little something is happening here, perhaps related to getting ready for construction. I checked the Mpls website and the most recent permit was issued on 3/20 for "the construction and sealing of 1 set of temporary monitoring wells."

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 26th, 2014, 8:59 am

Excellent! I go past here a couple times a week and every time I hope to see something new happening. Didn't see anything on Monday evening, but it's possible I forgot to look that day. I was getting used to no progress at all :)

garfield
Metrodome

Postby garfield » March 27th, 2014, 11:01 pm

I saw Braun Intertec there last week doing what I assumed were soil borings...so something could definitely be happening here in the near future. This will change this block for the much, much better!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 28th, 2014, 7:10 am

I'll make it a point to drive Nicollet instead of Portland a few times on my commute home to see how this is progressing. Really exciting for that area.

Note: this was supposed to break ground in July 2012, per this Strib article

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » April 22nd, 2014, 7:47 am

Demolition has started (and is nearly complete) on the two existing buildings here.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 22nd, 2014, 7:56 am

For some reason I thought this was elsewhere on the block...not sure why I misplaced it.

So weird that it's going in between the Holiday and the Fire Station, with essentially no buffer space on either side. I'd hate to have the view overlooking the Holiday parking lot and gas pumps. I'd guess the neighbors on either side of this thing are going to be there long term. Gas stations tend not to go away, especially when they are the only one in the neighborhood.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 8th, 2014, 10:02 am

Actual work is now going on here. Like, digging and piling and even a cement truck or two the last time I went by. For how relatively not-dense this part of MPLS is, it's a very awkward small site construction project and should be interesting to watch. Your typical backhoe and bulldozer look very odd working in such cramped quarters.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 5th, 2014, 9:27 am

Pics from a little drive I took with baby.shoes on Labor Day.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 21st, 2014, 8:05 am

This is now a giant hole in the ground and some footings have been poured.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » October 25th, 2014, 3:40 pm

Looks like this might be called "Zest Apartments".

http://www.zestminneapolis.com/

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 25th, 2014, 3:49 pm

lorwest wrote:Looks like this might be called "Zest Apartments".

http://www.zestminneapolis.com/
Lemon zest, I assume, since we already have Lime.

aeisenberg
Union Depot

Re: Zest Apartments - (5426 Nicollet Avenue)

Postby aeisenberg » March 10th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Slowest project in the Twin Cities is finally above ground.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsav8aane2m8t ... M.jpg?dl=0
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / aaron@agentaaron.com / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Zest Apartments - (5426 Nicollet Avenue)

Postby mister.shoes » March 10th, 2015, 1:27 pm

I keep meaning to snap a picture on one of my multiple weekly trips past this site, but I can't get my phone out of my pocket during the giant yawn of impatient boredom that crops up every single time.

And I say that as someone very excited to see this addition to that intersection! It's just taken fooooorrrrrreeeevvvvveeeerrrrr. Not as long as District 600, but a long damn time.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”