Zest Apartments - (5426 Nicollet Avenue)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
web

Re: Zest Apartments - (5426 Nicollet Avenue)

Postby web » March 10th, 2015, 11:10 pm

ahhhh life next to a fire station

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 11th, 2015, 7:16 am

But a *very nice* fire station /s
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 11th, 2015, 10:18 am

I live about a block and a half away from a fire station and have had a friend who lived across the street from the same fire station. Are they really much of a nuisance? Maybe it's because the one I'm next to is tucked into a residential neighborhood, but they only occasionally turn on their lights and never turn on their sirens until they get to a major road. And hey, if my apartment is burning, they're right there.

Probably more of an issue on an already busy street like Nicollet, though.

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower

Postby Archiapolis » March 11th, 2015, 10:27 am

xandrex wrote:I live about a block and a half away from a fire station and have had a friend who lived across the street from the same fire station. Are they really much of a nuisance? Maybe it's because the one I'm next to is tucked into a residential neighborhood, but they only occasionally turn on their lights and never turn on their sirens until they get to a major road. And hey, if my apartment is burning, they're right there.

Probably more of an issue on an already busy street like Nicollet, though.
It isn't what anyone would call a "Class A" site.
The level 2, south facing units are the ones that are going to be...not wonderful. The drawings had a "screen wall" for the walkout terraces for the units to hide the gas station but it's a balance between "screening" and caging someone in and I also wonder about the constant coming and going of cars...

ANYTHING is better than what was there and there is a commercial component on the street front so this should be a good building.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 11th, 2015, 11:11 am

Overall, the traffic on Nicollet and commotion at the gas station are likely to be far worse nuisances than the occasional sirens coming/going at the fire station. On the plus side, the gas station doesn't have a car wash. But yeah, it's still not going to be fun to look at & listen to all day. If there could be any assurances that the gas station would go away in the future, then I'd say this development is actually a slam dunk location.

Unfortunately, gas stations only seem to get redeveloped in places like Uptown where there were just too many at some point in time, and the high real estate values are worth doing the cleanup and building something else. There are still too many gas stations in Uptown, but at least we've knocked out a few and replaced them with commercial or mixed-use development. This one is likely to be around for a long, long time.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 11th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Being across the street from Wise Acre outweighs any of that....

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 23rd, 2015, 11:15 am

twincitizen wrote:Overall, the traffic on Nicollet and commotion at the gas station are likely to be far worse nuisances than the occasional sirens coming/going at the fire station. On the plus side, the gas station doesn't have a car wash. But yeah, it's still not going to be fun to look at & listen to all day. If there could be any assurances that the gas station would go away in the future, then I'd say this development is actually a slam dunk location.
Actually the sirens are pretty persistent, especially with ambulances being released from the same site. I bike through here regularly, and also have a PO box at that post office. Coming there regularly, but not spending more than 10 minutes at a time in the area, I stop for lights and sirens at least once a week. I do think living there would be a problem. Hopefully the apartment building is well sound-insulated.
twincitizen wrote:Unfortunately, gas stations only seem to get redeveloped in places like Uptown where there were just too many at some point in time, and the high real estate values are worth doing the cleanup and building something else. There are still too many gas stations in Uptown, but at least we've knocked out a few and replaced them with commercial or mixed-use development. This one is likely to be around for a long, long time.
On the bright side, Holiday has been doing pretty decent urban form as of late -- see newer gas stations at 36th and Cedar, Olson Highway and 5th St N, and even the new airport one at 34th Ave S and Airport Lane/77th St. Newer ones frame out the corner better, usually have a pedestrian entrance from the corner, and have enough of a grocery selection to be a partway decent corner store. I'm not sure I'd want to live RIGHT by one, but they're certainly a vast improvement.

Existing building was built in 1970, so I wouldn't be shocked if it was replaced in the not-too-distant future. However, the existing site is only slightly smaller than the 36th-Cedar site. I'd wonder if they'd only be interested in rebuilding if they could shoehorn a car-wash onto the site.

aeisenberg
Union Depot

Postby aeisenberg » April 8th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / aaron@agentaaron.com / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 8th, 2015, 7:36 pm

That is much wider than I had envisioned. A lot closer to the Fire department than I had thought it would.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 17th, 2015, 11:22 pm

3 stories

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower

Postby Archiapolis » May 18th, 2015, 9:41 am

grant1simons2 wrote:3 stories
3 stories of housing over 1 of commercial/parking

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 18th, 2015, 9:49 am

Okay, I was just giving an update of its current height.

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower

Postby Archiapolis » May 18th, 2015, 1:40 pm

grant1simons2 wrote:Okay, I was just giving an update of its current height.
Ah, got it.

[This building currently has] 3 stories.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 3rd, 2016, 10:31 am

This has been completed and open for a few weeks, possibly longer.

http://www.zestminneapolis.com/

Prices here are well below most new developments, probably largely owing to the smallish, very cheap parcel on which it was developed.
I'm calculating rents on the 1BRs and 2BRs at $1.75-$1.85/sf, which is significantly lower than anything else around. I'm guessing this development probably represents very close to the low end of what can be charged for new construction in the city.

Although it is in a fantastic neighborhood (Tangletown), the location leaves a lot to be desired, sandwiched between the fire station and Holiday gas station (and their unbelievably bright neon-trimmed sign).

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 3rd, 2016, 11:41 am

twincitizen wrote:This has been completed and open for a few weeks, possibly longer.

http://www.zestminneapolis.com/
They may be open, but I don't know if they are complete; they were still working on balconies as of Friday last week.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 3rd, 2016, 12:34 pm

Yes, there's still plenty of work left to do before I'd call it complete. From the looks of the commercial spaces, they've decided to just mothball them until the weather gets better.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 3rd, 2016, 3:37 pm

Ah, I could've misread things. Perhaps they have just begun leasing then. Website seems to indicate units are actually ready for move in.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 3rd, 2016, 9:25 pm

They certainly could be. I'm sure if they're desperate enough for income they'd find a way to get renters in place while working on the commercial spaces.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 5th, 2016, 10:42 pm

You know what, this place went from not-ready to damn-near-done super quick. My apologies, twincitizen, it's nearly all there.

aeisenberg
Union Depot

Postby aeisenberg » May 23rd, 2016, 2:35 pm

The finished product. What do you think?

Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / aaron@agentaaron.com / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”