Zest Apartments - (5426 Nicollet Avenue)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Zest Apartments - (5426 Nicollet Avenue)

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 23rd, 2016, 9:10 pm

I think.....it'll do. Decent infill. The street here isn't exactly picturesque but its not ugly either, so in a way, this fits right in.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 23rd, 2016, 9:16 pm

Brick is a good material

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 24th, 2016, 7:12 am

Those bright blue lights on the Holiday gas station sign should be illegal (if they aren't already). They cast a ton of glow on the adjacent property. I wonder what Minneapolis' performance standards codes have to say about that light spillover....

Also, I like the building and am impressed by the pricing they are able to offer on new construction.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 24th, 2016, 8:39 am

aeisenberg wrote:The finished product. What do you think?

I think you found the most flattering angle possible to take that pic :) It does look quite nice, though.

From the South...not quite so pretty. I assume they're assuming the Holiday lot will get redeveloped some day.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 24th, 2016, 10:02 am

You can see the reflection of the bright blue lights on the Holiday sign in the windows!

If I lived here I'd be trying to figure out how to cut the wires on that damn thing. In the city I work for, we have rejected any and all tube/accent lighting of that style on gas station canopies, buildings, etc. No one has proposed it on a sign yet...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 24th, 2016, 10:08 am

Those blue neon Holiday signs have been the bane of cities everywhere:
http://www.perfectduluthday.com/2013/01 ... c-enemy-1/
I know I've seen other threads here in Mpls, and also in the suburbs.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 24th, 2016, 10:28 am

When it's dark and you're coming up Nicollet from the south, you can see the blue light almost all the way from Bobby and Steve's. It truly is insane.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 24th, 2016, 10:41 am

Ok good, I'm glad I'm not alone on this. I thought you guys were going to tell me to shut up already.

My first ring burb doesn't have any specific language prohibiting accent lighting on signage, just the general language (some of which is arguably too vague and would seem to prohibit all use of exposed neon, LED, etc. if interpreted to its extreme):
"Lighting shall be designed and arranged to restrict direct illumination and glare onto abutting parcels."
"Direct off-site views of the light source shall not be permitted except for globe and/or ornamental light fixtures. Globe and ornamental fixtures shall only be used if the developer can demonstrate that off-site impacts stemming from direct views of the bulb are mitigated by the fixture design and/or location."
and for gas station canopies specifically:
"Lights under the canopy of a gasoline dispensing station or similar structure shall not be directly visible from a public street or another property. Such lights shall either be recessed into the underside of the canopy or screened from view with shields."

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 24th, 2016, 11:01 am

There are plenty of urban Holidays with awful blue signs: Cedar and 35th, Franklin and Minnehaha, the North Loop location on 5th Street, the 50th Street location near France, etc.

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower

Postby Archiapolis » May 26th, 2016, 8:55 am

Barring general populace accepting anthropogenic climate change/peak oil etc very soon, I don't see this parcel being anything other than a gas station in my lifetime. Smallish parcel, former gas station (polluted) etc. I'd love to be wrong about this.

Signage: It's almost like the city should regulate this better.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”