Track 29 Apartments - (2841 Bryant Avenue South)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Track 29 Apartments - (2841 Bryant Avenue South)

Postby mnmike » July 23rd, 2013, 1:16 pm

I kind of like the light color brick they are using on the south building....it's a bit different.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » July 23rd, 2013, 1:21 pm

I think this actually looks pretty sharp. The brick is very light colored and the windows are white instead of the standard black/brown. It plays off the townhouses to the East nicely.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

bubzki2
US Bank Plaza

Postby bubzki2 » July 23rd, 2013, 1:30 pm

I think one thing hurting perceptions of this project is the proximity of the (substantially more expensive) Elan projects. This should look pretty nice when all is said and done, I think.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » July 23rd, 2013, 3:46 pm

I do rather like the brick, I definitely think that it could have been accentuated better, but it is different and neat.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 25th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Probably due to the damage from that wind storm last month. I know they lost some window and probably had to redo some area that water got in and roof that might have gotten damages. I believe Elan also have the same problem.

orangevening
Nicollet Mall

Postby orangevening » July 30th, 2013, 7:40 am

bubzki2 wrote:PERSONALLY, I just want that damned bike ramp to re-open!
My thoughts exactly!! I'm sick of going two blocks out of my way and wearing out my breaks for the sharp turn for cookie-cutter over-priced (trying hard not to say the y-word) developments.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 8th, 2013, 1:54 pm

This is apparently going to have a sculptural-drinking-fountain-doodad by the Greenway ramp, similar to the thing on the Mozaic plaza:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3293_n.jpg

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 8th, 2013, 2:32 pm

I'll wait for the final product to judge, but my impression thus far is that this is not an attractive building. They tried to match some of the colors and form of the townhomes next door, and it just doesn't look good. Elan and Flux are in a different league. Track 29 could be a pale Murals.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 8th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Yeah. Still having a difficult time wrapping my head around the fact that this has the same developer as the Soo Line Building project.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » August 8th, 2013, 3:35 pm

twincitizen wrote:I'll wait for the final product to judge, but my impression thus far is that this is not an attractive building. They tried to match some of the colors and form of the townhomes next door, and it just doesn't look good. Elan and Flux are in a different league. Track 29 could be a pale Murals.
Murals isn't as bad this. I don't gag every time I drive by Murals. Especially as good as the previous rendering looked.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 8th, 2013, 7:26 pm

fotoapparatic wrote:
twincitizen wrote:I'll wait for the final product to judge, but my impression thus far is that this is not an attractive building. They tried to match some of the colors and form of the townhomes next door, and it just doesn't look good. Elan and Flux are in a different league. Track 29 could be a pale Murals.
Murals isn't as bad this. I don't gag every time I drive by Murals. Especially as good as the previous rendering looked.

The earlier rendering was the lipstick on the pig that we got, now it is minus the lipstick.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » August 9th, 2013, 8:53 am

I tend to prefer lipstick... on my pigs that is.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 9th, 2013, 9:03 am

fotoapparatic wrote:

Seriously? Everyone has their own opinion of course, but Murals looks like trailers stacked on top of eachother to me. I actually like the look of this building, with the light colored brick, it is a bit different...Kind of industrial, also kind of reminds of some older light brick 1920s apartment buildings around town(that you don't see many of). The north building isn't as good, but I hardly think it is worth gagging over. Every time I pass this I think it is pretty nice actually, mainly the south building. I like it. To each his own.

For me, Murals is the uguliest thing I have seen built in a really, really, really, really, long time, I think that every time I pass by. Hate that one. 6 floor trailer park. It is probably the only newish residential building around I have that strong of a reaction to!

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » August 9th, 2013, 9:16 am

mnmike wrote:
fotoapparatic wrote:

Seriously? Everyone has their own opinion, but Murals looks like trailers stacked on top of eachother to me. I actually like the look of this building, with the light colored brick, it is a bit different...Kind of industrial, also kind of reminds of some older light brick 1920s apartment buildings around town(that you don't see many of). The north building isn't as good, but I hardly think it is worth gagging over. Every time I pass this I think it is pretty nice actually, mainly the south building. I like it. To each his own.

For me, Murals is the uguliest thing I have seen built in a really, really, really, really, long time, I think that every time I pass by. Hate that one. 6 floor trailer park. It is probably the only newish residential building around I have that strong of a reaction to!
Just wait until they paint the main body of the south building that baby poop green/brown color. Those light grey brick sure will "pop" then!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 9th, 2013, 9:26 am

yeah, that may change my opinion...we will see. I really do like the brick color though.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 9th, 2013, 9:48 am

I've never understood all the Murals hate on here. Is it really that bad? My only complaint is the way the building addresses the sidewalk with that raised walkway. Also, that tie-dye banner they added recently is pretty jarring.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 9th, 2013, 10:15 am

mnmike wrote:I actually like the look of this building, with the light colored brick, it is a bit different...Kind of industrial, also kind of reminds of some older light brick 1920s apartment buildings around town(that you don't see many of).
Funny, I always think "insane asylum" when I see that brick. It just looks like a fortress.

I never really had a problem with Murals but now you've all got me looking for flaws. Damn you for ruining my delightful ignorance! :)

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » August 9th, 2013, 10:24 am

The Brick may be the only thing this has going for it... They did a good job of that. I think it escapes the fortress look because of how it wraps around balconies and things, I would personal prefer a more monotone look with them That SW corner could be charcoal or metal, but WHO AM I?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 20th, 2013, 5:55 pm

They are coming along with the landscaping around the north building. Their main entrance is semi complete with some funky blackish gray panels framing the door way. Looks like their leasing office is now open in the entrance area. South building is still in shambles. I give them until the first snow fall to have it totally enclosed and the exterior finishes done.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » August 24th, 2013, 11:06 am

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”