Giordano's Pizza / Bank of America - 2700 Hennepin Ave S

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Giordano's Pizza / Bank of America - 2700 Hennepin Ave S

Postby seanrichardryan » January 9th, 2013, 8:51 pm

There was a project presentation to the LHENA Z & P board tonight on the proposed commercial redevelopment of 2700 Hennepin Ave S. The plan calls for removal of the current vacant gas station/ car wash and replacement with a new one-story commercial building. The architect is Julie Snow and the property owner/ manager is Nolan Property Group.

High and low lights include-

-Large glass windows facing the intersection with building pulled to the corner.

-One row of parking to the rear and side of the site.

-A drive through for potential tenants.

-Landscaping along all sides, including Hennepin.

The site has difficult deed restrictions from the former owner BP limiting certain uses such as building into the ground (basement parking or otherwise), adding any housing, and possibly restaurants. It is speculated that it is because of possible soil contamination from former uses.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Re: 2700 Hennepin Ave S

Postby thatchio » January 9th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Interesting. So based on what you heard, it sounds like BP is trying to minimize their potential liability at the site by not allowing the new owner to dig into the ground? My understanding of MPCA Petroleum Brownfields program is that you can't get clean up assistance dollars if the responsible party is around still (within X years). But if the contamination isn't an immediate threat, the property owner can avoid cleaning it up if it isn't disturbed.

This is frustrating, if the case. Also frustrating is a drive thru.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » January 9th, 2013, 9:17 pm

To be clear, BP was not the last owner of the property. The last owner signed some paperwork when entering into a fuel agreement with BP that added the deed restrictions. At least that is how I understood it.

Nolan PG is now the owner. They were able to work with BP on lifting some of the restrictions at sale, and may be able to do more. Julie Snow basically said 'this is the best we could do'. It was not an unattractive proposal by any means, but is certainly isn't dense if that's the kind of thing that toots your horn. Imagine a hybrid of the Main Street Bank on 22nd with Chipotle on 26th.

Also, Nolan PG will be removing the underground gas tanks, as required by law.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 9th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Dude, I was there too, sitting next to the nerdy girl that asked about affordable housing and environmental remediation.

As much as I am absolutely not voting for Meg Tuthill, her sass can be kind of funny in the right light. I'm glad they didn't spend too much time on this, considering it's in the East Isles neighborhood and not LHENA. I'm curious if the drive thru lane will stick. It's very unlikely to be a major brand fast food kinda thing...they typically have their own buildings and much more space. I think it's more likely this would be a drive up lane for a bank or credit union, which wouldn't be nearly as horrible. Queueing cars at rush hour could be a serious problem though.

Someone else at the meeting mentioned that this has been a gas station since the 50s and was a dealership or other auto oriented business before that. The pollution on the site is likely not limited to the underground gas tanks. Those get removed, but it makes sense they wouldn't want the soils disturbed too much, hence the restriction on residential (because that would require underground parking). If only we could do something about that parking requirement....

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 9th, 2013, 9:44 pm

seanrichardryan wrote:To be clear, BP was not the last owner of the property. The last owner signed some paperwork when entering into a fuel agreement with BP that added the deed restrictions. At least that is how I understood it.

Nolan PG is now the owner. They were able to work with BP on lifting some of the restrictions at sale, and may be able to do more. Julie Snow basically said 'this is the best we could do'. It was not an unattractive proposal by any means, but is certainly isn't dense if that's the kind of thing that toots your horn. Imagine a hybrid of the Main Street Bank on 22nd with Chipotle on 26th.

Also, Nolan PG will be removing the underground gas tanks, as required by law.
It's too bad they can't do something with a bit more density, but it sounds better than leaving it vacant for years. I'm personally not a fan of that bland looking bank at 22nd and Hennepin...I hope they come up with something with a little more imagination.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » January 9th, 2013, 9:53 pm

The footings for a larger building would likely require soil remediation.

Site history includes:

1990: Hennepin Avenue Standard Station
1985: Hennepin Avenue Standard Station
1980: Hennepin Avenue Standard Station
1970: Dale's Standard Station
1965: Dale's Standard Station
1960: Dale's Standard Station
1955: Bob & Dale's Standard Station
1950: Krause Standard Service
1946: McNair Robt B, filling station
1940: Lundquist Vernon H, filling station
1935: Standard Oil Co
1930: Standard Oil Co
(data not available before 1930)

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » January 9th, 2013, 10:03 pm

twincitizen wrote:Dude, I was there too, sitting next to the nerdy girl that asked about affordable housing and environmental remediation...

...Someone else at the meeting mentioned that this has been a gas station since the 50s and was a dealership or other auto oriented business before that...
That twas' me chiming in. I recall the site being a car dealership too, but that might be the Chipotle site down the road.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » January 9th, 2013, 11:54 pm

But at least it's Julie Snow? Or is it that forgettable?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 10th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Wait, were you the one sitting right next to Tuthill?

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » January 10th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Yep. In the peanut gallery.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 2nd, 2013, 6:45 pm

Grabbed a picture of the sign today:

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » February 2nd, 2013, 11:52 pm

Awesome! I've always wanted a Tenant store in Minneapolis. Love their shoes.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 3rd, 2013, 2:13 am

lordmoke wrote:Grabbed a picture of the sign today:
Looks pretty good considering the limitations on developing this parcel. And I'm always in favor of street level retail with large clear glass windows fronting the streets in urban neighborhoods. And it helps extend the Uptown retail corridor north a bit. A big improvement over the current sad state of affairs of this site.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » February 3rd, 2013, 2:14 pm

While not a ground breaking project, I think we'd all have to agree it's a drastic improvement.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 3rd, 2013, 2:49 pm

I hope that is tile on the outside...orange-ish multi colored tile like that would look kinda cool.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 3rd, 2013, 5:42 pm

mnmike wrote:I hope that is tile on the outside...orange-ish multi colored tile like that would look kinda cool.
Love that very modern looking orangish tile! It's my favorite thing about he building. Will look cheerful and bright on a cold winter day ( like today).

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » February 4th, 2013, 12:02 am

Julie said no materials had been determined yet, bu I do like the look.

Jez
Block E

Postby Jez » February 4th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Would love to see 3-4 stories of apartments on top of this, this doesn't really add to urban density as such, I'd love to see some cool apartment building go up somewhere along Hennepin, or at least some of the scruffier building rehabbed a la Burch Steakhouse. Beggers can't be chosers I suppose, better then a BP garage.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 5th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Jez wrote:Would love to see 3-4 stories of apartments on top of this, this doesn't really add to urban density as such, I'd love to see some cool apartment building go up somewhere along Hennepin, or at least some of the scruffier building rehabbed a la Burch Steakhouse. Beggers can't be chosers I suppose, better then a BP garage.

Due to underground pollution there is a coventent that say they can't do underground parking.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 5th, 2013, 10:47 pm

And god forbid residential development without tons of parking happen

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”