Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Calhoun Square

Postby twincitizen » May 21st, 2014, 8:37 am

Ackerberg said he will eventually start trying to develop an empty block adjacent to Calhoun Square, currently bordered by a fence with advertisements. He said it would likely become office, “and maybe even a hotel if we can figure that out.”
http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/260098371.html

Excellent news. They should be able to build something pretty large, given the size of the parcel and existing parking ramp. As far as neighborhood organizations go, CARAG actually seems pretty level headed (compared to LHENA, etc.) Even if something too tall for their tastes were proposed, I really don't think they'd fight too hard given how long that space has been vacant. I'd imagine 8-ish stories like Mozaic2 if he wants to do office and hotel on the site.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 21st, 2014, 9:02 am

The nice thing about this site is there are no worries about shadowing. There are no homeowners in that area that would be impacted by any shadowing. And it would not disrupt anyones views either. Hopefully they can get an office/hotel mixed use and make it about 15-20 stories. Would be great to see something with a little height in that area.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 21st, 2014, 9:27 am

Different take on the meeting: http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/ne ... and-uptown

EDIT (hit submit like a fool). If it's office/hotel, build as high as they want to as far as I'm concerned. I'm torn on what I'd like to see the retail component on the ground level become. Initially I thought a small City Target (or larger Target Express) would be a great fit for the neighborhood, offering additional grocery options and the type of daily needs people have that the regional shops found in Calhoun Square and along Hennepin don't really provide. At the same time, Henn/Lake isn't really hurting on grocery options (low cost in Rainbow/Cub and higher end in Lund's, plus a few smaller places), and Walgreens/CVS are right there too. If the ground level looked more like Uptown Row just a block over, I wouldn't be sad.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 21st, 2014, 11:34 am

I think a City Target would be great there. And I recall reading a recent article that interviewed the VP at Target responsible for its development and he stated they are seriously considering an Uptown location.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 21st, 2014, 11:56 am

That might work better for the Cheapo site down the road.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 21st, 2014, 1:35 pm

Wouldn't the vacant lot here be perfect? Has enough room for their small footprint, not to mention it will basically be attached to Calhoun Square and be attached to a parking ramp.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 21st, 2014, 2:40 pm

Yep. The problem is any Target, even the tiniest cutest one ever, is going to demand a lot of parking, by urban standards. Even if not by the zoning code, then by Target themselves. Putting it next to Calhoun Square, connected to the existing ramp, confronts that issue head on. However, it sounds like Ackerberg isn't interested in going that route. It basically runs counter to what he envisions for the area. Hotel + Office would still be pretty great, especially if it had some ground floor retail besides a hotel lobby. The Lake St side of Calhoun Square has pretty terrible sidewalk interaction. I'd hate for that deadness to be extended another block eastward. I'm all for a mini-Target in the area too, and see the benefits of connecting it to the Calhoun Square ramp, but I don't think that's going to happen.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 21st, 2014, 2:44 pm

Why not office + hotel on top of a city Target?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 21st, 2014, 3:26 pm

Target Bottom with office in the back well mixed with a hotel? That's very downtownesque

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 21st, 2014, 10:30 pm

As far as neighborhood organizations go, CARAG actually seems pretty level headed (compared to LHENA, etc.)
Christ, how many times do I have to explain this? LHENA is not the same as individual Wedge residents. LHENA is *very* "level-headed" when it comes to development. An architect sits on Z&P and the board and all the members put a lot of thought into their decisions. What you hear from residents in the hearing room is not the type of discussion that happens among the committee board members. I encourage you to attend some of their meetings that don't involve huge public participation. They had a great one with Ackerberg on MoZaic 2, praised the design and gave some really helpful feedback on bike access through the site, etc.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 21st, 2014, 10:36 pm

Attending the initial meeting on the Franklin Lyndale project, yeah, the board itself was definitely one of the most level headed presences in the room. Some residents, not so much.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 16th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Locked!, but the tags & photo leads me to believe they're speculating about a hotel on the vacant parcel next to CAlhoun Square. http://finance-commerce.com/2014/06/is- ... in-uptown/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 16th, 2014, 9:24 pm

With Code 42 arriving there is even more support for a hotel.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 17th, 2014, 9:48 am

Graves scouting for an Uptown hotel
Jun 17, 2014
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... hotel.html

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 17th, 2014, 9:51 am

And like clockwork, MSPBJ reveals the scoop.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » July 29th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Bulldoze it.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » July 29th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Moving slow on this it seems. Well not really. Seems so. I'm rather anxious.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 30th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Will be a mess just in time for the Christmas season.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 30th, 2014, 1:23 pm

I missed it.. What's going on.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 30th, 2014, 1:29 pm

I missed it.. What's going on.
The potential remodel of the Calhoun Square space. I really don't see a whole lot changing at this point with locking in leases. But I would like to see some of the so called open space better utilized. Too much space that just sits there empty 95% of the time. Some new carpet, hopefully build out into the wasted space, and more people will hopefully come.