Heyday Restaurant - (2700 Lyndale Avenue South)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
gpete
Union Depot

Heyday Restaurant - (2700 Lyndale Avenue South)

Postby gpete » May 14th, 2013, 12:30 pm

I know this isn't technically Uptown, but this thread has a more liberal definition than Meg Tuthill.

A new restaurant is going in the former Sunny-side-up and laundromat space. This is also where Trader Joe's wanted to locate. Some big restaurant names are involved, so it should be a hit.

http://blogs.mspmag.com/dara/2013/05/bi ... ng-heyday/

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Re: Heyday - 2700 Lyndale (new restaurant)

Postby widin007 » May 14th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Those buildings are in AWFUL shape, they should just tear them down and build something new

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 14th, 2013, 1:13 pm

widin007 wrote:Those buildings are in AWFUL shape, they should just tear them down and build something new
I think the bones might be good, I can't see building an new building with their concept. The building can't be any different than the Nightengale that opened in the grocery store space that had the fire up north of there on the corner of 26th. That was a basis rehab. Will mostly have to do some work on outside walls and new facades for the walls facing Lyndale at least.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 14th, 2013, 1:40 pm

I was about to say the same, tear that building down. It's hideous. The footprint of Sunnyside and the laundromat could and should support a 2-4 story mixed-use building.

But wedgeguy has a great point about Nightengale. That is an amazing rehab of a burned-out convenience store/deli. Going in there today, you would never in a million years guess what it used to be. Nightengale now makes Bulldog and Treehouse look like total crap, whereas the opposite was true with the previous tenant.

I look forward to some renders and I hope they are planning on completely redoing the exterior and adding a little height with parapets, etc to better match the 2-story brick neighbors to the south.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » May 14th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Wedgeguy wrote:
widin007 wrote:Those buildings are in AWFUL shape, they should just tear them down and build something new
I think the bones might be good, I can't see building an new building with their concept. The building can't be any different than the Nightengale that opened in the grocery store space that had the fire up north of there on the corner of 26th. That was a basis rehab. Will mostly have to do some work on outside walls and new facades for the walls facing Lyndale at least.
Well the Nightengale has good neighbors to support it and keep up the property after the fire. This property is a dump and I can not say that enough. As a former tenant, these buildings are reminiscent of 1920s tenements. Shoddily kept up at best and a terrible fire hazard at worst, with might I add 20 year expired rental licenses. So they could renovate but in my opinion they should just tear this hole down.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 14th, 2013, 3:17 pm

widin007 wrote:
Wedgeguy wrote:
Well the Nightengale has good neighbors to support it and keep up the property after the fire. This property is a dump and I can not say that enough. As a former tenant, these buildings are reminiscent of 1920s tenements. Shoddily kept up at best and a terrible fire hazard at worst, with might I add 20 year expired rental licenses. So they could renovate but in my opinion they should just tear this hole down.[/quote]

I don't remember seeing any apartment above Sunnyside or the Laundramat. Why I'm saying rehab is that will a lot less money than a teardown and rebuild. After the Trader Joe's fiasco, the owner is not going to do anything more than fix what he has to make a stream of money.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 14th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Or he could learn from the Trader Joe's fiasco and get a developer not from the burbs, and put together a more urban, dense, and pedestrian friendly proposal. Or not.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » May 14th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Why do people in Minneapolis hate the patina of age that comes with most old buildings? This is the only place I have been where people want to tear down any old building that isn't in pristine shape. This isn't normal. You guys would tear down half of rural England if that is the standard. Personally I would hate to see this building torn down, it isn't the Taj Mahal but it has character. All interesting cities have some funky old commercial buildings.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 15th, 2013, 7:45 am

^ I'm with Chef, except for the part about living anywhere except Minneapolis. It's one of our city's biggest problems, and it is infuriating. Really glad to see that nothing on this block is being torn down.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 15th, 2013, 7:59 am

ummm, take walk sometime through the city. unfortunately this "minneapolis tears down every old building" mantra is complete bs. probably the result of the 60's gateway project uniformed people think this way. but it's not a true statement and the countless buildings of all types in this city are a testament to this. get out and walk/bike the city.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 15th, 2013, 8:26 am

I have lived here my whole life. Please do NOT insinuate that I do not know my own city, and furthermore- do not condescend to me.

No one ever said we tear down every single old building. The point made is that we tear down far too many of them, and far too readily. It's not limited to the Gateway, and it's certainly not limited to the 1960's. The city, right now, is trying to demolish the landmark Peavy Plaza. The old Guthrie was razed just a few years ago. Those structures are not even old. This is a problem. And this is off topic.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 15th, 2013, 9:17 am

calm down dude. yes its off topic but you brought it up.

and i've lived here all my life also. what do you want a medal. the statement that all this city is tear down buildings is not true.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 15th, 2013, 9:21 am

Holy crap, please act like adults? Unnecessary potshots are unnecessary.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 15th, 2013, 10:07 am

Maybe UrbanMSP can be at the forefront of this:
Let's figure out what buildings are actually worth saving and why, so we can proactively protect them.
It would be a much more efficient and predictable way of preserving our heritage (which we all value) instead of reacting to every new development proposal.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » May 15th, 2013, 10:27 am

widin007 wrote:Shoddily kept up at best and a terrible fire hazard at worst, with might I add 20 year expired rental licenses.
The City of Minneapolis lists rental license payments every year for the Guerts' properties:

http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2924410037
http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2924410038

I'm completely in favor of making shit up to prove your point on anonymous message boards, but I recommend making up something less verifiable (e.g. owner is a racist, has bad breath).
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 15th, 2013, 10:42 am

mattaudio wrote:Maybe UrbanMSP can be at the forefront of this:
Let's figure out what buildings are actually worth saving and why, so we can proactively protect them.
It would be a much more efficient and predictable way of preserving our heritage (which we all value) instead of reacting to every new development proposal.
I'd be all for that. Let me start by proposing that this utterly unremarkable, tired, one-story commercial building clad in wood siding does not make the list.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 15th, 2013, 10:52 am

It seems the Guerts were never interested in a complex redevelopment. They favored the single story, single tenant Trader Joe's proposal because it would have been easy for them. They aren't interested in selling and want to hold the land as a long-term investment for their family. In the Trader Joe's fiasco, they complained that the old buildings were difficult and expensive to maintain, etc. Honestly, I don't think we'll ever see a mixed use development on this site, unless they decide to sell.

*I hope no one misinterprets any of that to think I mean I was in favor of tearing down the older 2-story brick buildings. The 1-story Sunnyside/Laundromat can go though, we need something better/bigger on that corner.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 19th, 2013, 12:25 pm

Saw a big dumpster behind the building and the windows are now all papered over. So something is definitely happening.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 23rd, 2013, 7:23 am

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » May 25th, 2013, 8:46 pm

redisciple wrote:
widin007 wrote:Shoddily kept up at best and a terrible fire hazard at worst, with might I add 20 year expired rental licenses.
The City of Minneapolis lists rental license payments every year for the Guerts' properties:

http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2924410037
http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2924410038

I'm completely in favor of making shit up to prove your point on anonymous message boards, but I recommend making up something less verifiable (e.g. owner is a racist, has bad breath).

Well I took a pic of the posted licence when I lived there, as it was funny. I can post it really, my point still stands that any other building there would be better IN MY OPINION. Also this isn't England, these buildings aren't ancient, they are 100 years old at most, in my opinion they are expendable.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”