Heyday Restaurant - (2700 Lyndale Avenue South)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Heyday Restaurant - (2700 Lyndale Avenue South)

Postby Wedgeguy » August 20th, 2013, 5:04 pm

They did not skimp like they do now days. They used more than nail guns to build. They made thing to better interlock to share the weight. Old building technology is why we have century old builds stand and some 20 year olds falling down. Craftsmanship, the lost art!

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » August 24th, 2013, 10:54 am

picture from today, looks nice. better than a TJs, imo... they had some nice paint color options on the side of the building.

http://db.tt/BbcdyhXj

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 8th, 2013, 8:21 am

Main things done with this building is the revamp of the exterior. I'd say that hey are 90+% done now with the gutting of the inside of the building. So far I see no signs of real interior construction, just gutting of the old.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 15th, 2013, 10:13 am

They added some of the thin veneer brick to the front of the building. That is about all that seems to have gotten done so far. Little work seems to be happening on building out the interior and getting the kitchen set up!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 21st, 2013, 3:17 pm

Yesterday there was a roofing crew there working on the roof. But little of anything seems to be happening to the interior.

garfield
Metrodome

Postby garfield » November 21st, 2013, 3:39 pm

I am beginning to think this project is intentionally being dragged out. Serious question: with Meg gone as the Councilperson, do you think the Trader Joe's project is going to be resubmitted? I wonder if the building owners would try to get their original plan passed with a more favorable Council (it already passed the Zoning and Planning Commission) and specifically Councilperson.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 21st, 2013, 3:53 pm

Nope, They have invested too much money in this building. The exterior work of the building maybe being done by the landlord and the tenant is waiting until all of that is done before starting work on this project. I really don't think I would be wanting to open a restaurant in Jan- Mar. I think they are holding off until the landlord gets his part complete so that when they do start the interior work they are opening in the spring. They will have a great expanse of outdoor seating which should make it very popular for the outdoor seating and table turn over.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 21st, 2013, 4:21 pm

garfield,

1. No, I think the property owners will be quite happy with the refurbished building and full occupancy. I highly doubt they would try to start all over with Trader Joes here.
2. Even if that were the case, I don't see why you assume Lisa Bender would just roll over and accept that terrible suburban site plan. I think she would have rejected it as well, but for different reasons than Meg. I hope that site plan never rears its ugly head again. The benefit of a councilperson like Lisa, over Meg, is that Lisa would probably consider being more flexible about the liquor spacing requirements and work towards reforming that. This was never a good site for a traffic-inducing Trader Joes. It was chosen because it is THE ONLY space in the greater Uptown area where you can open a liquor store. I don't think we want liquor spacing requirements dictacting development policy. The former should be more flexible and context sensitive.

That said, bring on Trader Joe's baby. I can't wait to have one (somewhere on Lake Street) that I can walk to. So what if it's right next to Lake Wine & Spirits or whatever?

smorin
Block E

Postby smorin » November 22nd, 2013, 4:18 pm

Councilperson-elect Bender has definitely specifically said she did not support the Trader Joe's as the plan existed, but would have worked with them to find a solution so they could find a good spot in the area. Last I heard they are still actively looking to locate to Minneapolis, and I'd love it if Lisa could reach out to them and try and lobby an Uptown-area solution.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 22nd, 2013, 5:13 pm

I really don't know where else in Uptown they can go. They are constrained by liquor store requirements and there is a liquor store at Emerson and Lake, Kowalskis up on Hennepin, and the Spirit liquor near Grand and Lake. Only place I can think and I'm not sure about another close liquor store at Nicolett [sic] and Lake.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on November 23rd, 2013, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » November 22nd, 2013, 11:25 pm

Is it possible to get a variance for the liquor spacing requirements?

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » November 23rd, 2013, 8:25 am

it probably will be shortly, but I'd have to imagine it would want to come with some other benefits in the development plan too

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 23rd, 2013, 10:35 am

Trader Joe's at this site is dead. RIP!! They have already sunk a large portion of money into the up grade of this building so far. That includes gutting the interior, new façade all the way around while includes the new full glass front of the building, they just finished redoing, sealing the roof. There is too much sunk in costs now for them to abandon this only to tear it down. No one will want to cover those extra costs with a higher lease to cover those costs.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » November 23rd, 2013, 8:15 pm

Trader Joes should go on the corner of Nicollet and Lake. Opening Nicollet could really get some nice dense development going. Nicollet from about 33rd down to Richfield is really a great street.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 28th, 2013, 11:00 am

Still more work being done on the roof of the building. Saw a heating and cooling truck there so they may also be installing a new HVAC system as well up there. Metal studs are now start to define space in the building with some of the duct work also starting to be installed. They have gone from a near stand still to getting a lot done in a short time. Good to see all of this work finally happening.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 24th, 2014, 11:15 am

The kitchen is pretty much installed, with a lot of finishing work left to do. I could conceive that this opens in April.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 8th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Looks like Heyday should be opening soon. There is a new sign now on the corner of 27th and Lyndale. Saw what looked like supplies being carried into the kitchen and they were cleaning the front windows. So they maybe opening this window. But that is only my guess. I'm surprised how good that building looks now compared to the old exterior.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”