Trader Joes (Lyndale and 27th)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Trader Joes (Lyndale and 27th)

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 18th, 2012, 9:32 am

I live a block from the Wedge. There is a special place in hell for people who try to make left turns into the Wedge parking lot during rush hour. It is probably the reason Lyndale traffic is so messed up around there. The fact that they have hired an off duty cop to direct traffic in and out of their lot on weekends should tell you everything you need to know about how bad a design it is.
Who hires the cop -- the city or the Wedge Co-Op? If it's not the Co-Op, the city should fine it or the developers who didn't consider the remedial traffic impacts of their bad design!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 18th, 2012, 9:48 am

I live a block from the Wedge. There is a special place in hell for people who try to make left turns into the Wedge parking lot during rush hour. It is probably the reason Lyndale traffic is so messed up around there. The fact that they have hired an off duty cop to direct traffic in and out of their lot on weekends should tell you everything you need to know about how bad a design it is.
This is exactly why Trader Joe's should not be located at 27th and Lyndale. It is not a street that is well suited for car oriented retail. There may be other locations nearby that would work better. What the city planning department should really do is help the developer to find a more suitable location. Make this a win win situation for the developer, neighborhood , and city.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 18th, 2012, 9:51 am

This is exactly why Trader Joe's should not be located at 27th and Lyndale. It is not a street that is well suited for car oriented retail. There may be other locations nearby that would work better. What the city planning department should really do is help the developer to find a more suitable location. Make this a win win situation for the developer, neighborhood , and city.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 18th, 2012, 10:08 am

A special place in hell indeed. I never understood why people just don't go thru the alley, it is open to their lot.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 18th, 2012, 10:17 am

A special place in hell indeed. I never understood why people just don't go thru the alley, it is open to their lot.
Alot of people going there are probably now aware of that.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 18th, 2012, 1:29 pm

I live just two blocks from the site, and the idea of a trader Joe's there makes me want to die. All we need is another traffic jam on Lyndale, one for the Wedge and one for TJ's... How about instead we tear down Kmart, re-open Nicollet and put the TJs in a mixed use on the east and the Kameapart on the west... Seriously, even the TJ's on Excelsior and Grand in SLP had better planning than this. So bad.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 18th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Sidebar: As someone who does almost all their grocery shopping at the Wedge (and walks there), the people who drive a car eight blocks to pickup organic groceries just absolutely kill me.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 18th, 2012, 2:53 pm

I live just two blocks from the site, and the idea of a trader Joe's there makes me want to die. All we need is another traffic jam on Lyndale, one for the Wedge and one for TJ's... How about instead we tear down Kmart, re-open Nicollet and put the TJs in a mixed use on the east and the Kameapart on the west... Seriously, even the TJ's on Excelsior and Grand in SLP had better planning than this. So bad.
Now THERE's an idea! :idea:

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 18th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Yes, the idea of having TJ's just east of Lyndale (on Lake Street) towards 35W is the real solution. Much easier for the bus rider, car driver , and Midtown Greenway bicycler to access the grocery store in this area than at 27th and Lyndale. The roadblock is the proper zoning to sell liquor on Lake Street. Too bad there's no flexibility in the zoning code.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » June 18th, 2012, 3:34 pm

TraderJoes needs to get into the Downtown game with either a TJ's or the non-yuppie version Aldi's.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 18th, 2012, 5:49 pm

TraderJoes needs to get into the Downtown game with either a TJ's or the non-yuppie version Aldi's.
Yes, east of the Guthrie area would be ideal. Would attract shoppers from both downtown and the U of M.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 18th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Would have to be in that no mans land east of Chicago off Washington. Only place that might have the parking requirements and close to the Light rail staion,

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » June 18th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Yes, east of the Guthrie area would be ideal. Would attract shoppers from both downtown and the U of M.
How about south Nicollet at 18th, redo the whole parcel north of Plymouth Church, Aldi & hardware store on street level, residential, perhaps supportive low income housing above the retail.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 18th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Too close to the church and I believe there is the liquor store at Nicolett [sic] and Franklin that would be too close, for the liqurs store portion.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 18th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Isn't there enough supportive housing in whittier? How about we let them build on 27th, add a light and review their lot circulation.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 18th, 2012, 9:10 pm

Isn't there enough supportive housing in whittier? How about we let them build on 27th, add a light and review their lot circulation.
It might work if they are sincere about revising the plan to have a more urban orientation ( i.e the main entrance is oriented towards Lyndale with a very transparent facade that fronts a majority of the block facing Lyndale). If they do this it might be decent enough to work.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 18th, 2012, 9:12 pm

How about south Nicollet at 18th, redo the whole parcel north of Plymouth Church, Aldi & hardware store on street level, residential, perhaps supportive low income housing above the retail.
The stretch of Nicollet south from 15th to I 94 has potential too.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » June 20th, 2012, 7:15 am

Is everybody sort of ignoring the obvious here, which is that Aldi already has a store in the strip mall at Franklin and 11th Ave. S.? Something tells me that they're not going to build a new one within a mile of that one...

Also, don't think we'll see an Aldi downtown-- too big a footprint and wrong clientele. A Trader Joe's, however, could work.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 20th, 2012, 12:11 pm

My impression is that Trader Joes will not build south of 94 on Nicolett [sic]. There already is a liquior store with in 2 block and a chrch with in one block, so no liquor store if they did. Also, The neighborhood would better support an Aldi's, but yes they have 2 stores already in MPLS at Franklin and Lake. Not really the right demographics at this time for a TJ on S Nicolett [sic].

With proper traffic timing and controls, the 27 and Lyndale with work on turn arrows at 28th and northbound at 27th.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 20th, 2012, 12:14 pm

My impression is that Trader Joes will not build south of 94 on Nicolett [sic]. There already is a liquior store with in 2 block and a chrch with in one block, so no liquor store if they did. Also, The neighborhood would better support an Aldi's, but yes they have 2 stores already in MPLS at Franklin and Lake. Not really the right demographics at this time for a TJ on S Nicolett [sic].

With proper traffic timing and controls, the 27 and Lyndale with work on turn arrows at 28th and northbound at 27th.
Yes, and if they redesign it with a more urban orientation and feel it will be much better.