Trader Joes (Lyndale and 27th)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Trader Joes (Lyndale and 27th)

Postby mattaudio » August 17th, 2012, 10:16 am

Isn't part of Uptown's cachet that it's close to so many businesses? Is Meg concerned more with a Trader Joe's than with the national chain bro bars coming in?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 17th, 2012, 10:40 am

The hold music at Meg's office...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Hplcl7YIY[/youtube]

Though she never said they couldn't have the business, and I'm sure it wasn't her initial response to them opening a business, just her response to them pestering her about the ordinance.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 17th, 2012, 11:02 am

Isn't part of Uptown's cachet that it's close to so many businesses? Is Meg concerned more with a Trader Joe's than with the national chain bro bars coming in?
Can you be more specific about "bro bars"? Some bros drink MGD and workout, some bros smoke weed and play Madden. Tons of diversity in the bro community.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 17th, 2012, 11:20 am

Can you be more specific about "bro bars"? Some bros drink MGD and workout, some bros smoke weed and play Madden. Tons of diversity in the bro community.
Lol'd at that
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 17th, 2012, 1:28 pm

she's a joke ....uptown needs a more receptive public official not someone who is a crank to new business. did anyone catch her response to the possibility of a craft brewer in uptown? she's laughably bad.

add this to her noise ordiance fiasco from a couple years ago and you get someone who should be doing something else.

and a lot of the neighborhood supports a trader joe's.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 17th, 2012, 2:25 pm

I think a lot of the neighborhood like the Idea trader joe's, but wouldn't fully support it if they really knew what the plan was. I was having a fairly heated discussion with a friend who REALLY wanted it, and it went on for a while until I showed them how many buildings were really being torn down and how much parking lot was really going in. The argument was promptly over. This was definitely a zoning victory. (we both live in the Wedge so it was extremely relevant.)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 17th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Agreed. I really want a TJs nearby (also a wedge homeowner) but the plan was horrible. The earlier plan shot down by then 10th ward Councilmember Ralph 'I don't like my constituents' Remington would have been far better. It would have been mixed-use and would have helped revitalize a less then appealing stretch of Lyndale.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 18th, 2012, 12:10 am

Agreed. I really want a TJs nearby (also a wedge homeowner) but the plan was horrible. The earlier plan shot down by then 10th ward Councilmember Ralph 'I don't like my constituents' Remington would have been far better. It would have been mixed-use and would have helped revitalize a less then appealing stretch of Lyndale.
A much better idea that should have happened.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 18th, 2012, 1:04 pm

I live in uptown (1 block away from Hennepin and Lake), consider 25th and Hennepin part of uptown, would love a brewpub nearby, wish Trader Joes would open a store with an urban footprint in the area, and can't wait for the next city council election and hope we get someone to challenge Tuthill. Uptown is doing well *in spite of* it's misguided representative on the council.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 18th, 2012, 1:29 pm

The Republic will be a nice neighborly beer bar when it opens in Calhoun Square. Great to see a local business open up in that mall. Wish it could have been where "Primebar" is located. Would have given the intersection a more local , less corporate flavor. Would love to see the Mcdonald's site redeveloped into a high density mixed use building. The time is right for that too happen!.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 18th, 2012, 10:55 pm

The Republic will be a nice neighborly beer bar when it opens in Calhoun Square. Great to see a local business open up in that mall. Wish it could have been where "Primebar" is located. Would have given the intersection a more local , less corporate flavor. Would love to see the Mcdonald's site redeveloped into a high density mixed use building. The time is right for that too happen!.
OT bro.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 18th, 2012, 11:38 pm

OT bro.
distracted , then posted in wrong thread. sorry

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 21st, 2012, 12:47 pm