Cedar Avenue - Powderhorn-Nokomis area

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1760
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby amiller92 » September 29th, 2016, 11:00 am

MNdible wrote:Yeah, that's the property I was wondering about. The aerial imagery seems to show storage for construction equipment.
I don't recall actually ever seeing any construction equipment there, so maybe whoever used to do that has vacated (perhaps because of the sale Matt mentioned).

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1760
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby amiller92 » September 29th, 2016, 11:08 am

mattaudio wrote:Both that and the gas station sold in the past 18 months. Unfortunately, it appears they did not sell to the same developer. Because it would have been great to combine those two parcels and build something far better over both of them.
Looking at the property map, it looks like there are three parcels north of IE (4714, 4712 and 4700), all owned by AC Ventures LLC, with the latter two having been acquired in January and November 2015, respectively.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7941
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby mattaudio » September 29th, 2016, 11:34 am

amiller92 wrote:
MNdible wrote:Yeah, that's the property I was wondering about. The aerial imagery seems to show storage for construction equipment.
I don't recall actually ever seeing any construction equipment there, so maybe whoever used to do that has vacated (perhaps because of the sale Matt mentioned).
Yes that "house" was formerly an office for a landscaping company, and they'd store dump trucks and trailers with equipment in the driveway areas. Then it sold to someone else, and now it recently sold again.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7941
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby mattaudio » October 13th, 2016, 4:00 pm

4700 Cedar development will be on next week's Planning Applications Report.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 180
Joined: February 3rd, 2013, 10:14 pm
Location: Northbound Brewpub - Standish

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby kiliff75 » October 13th, 2016, 4:51 pm

mattaudio wrote:4700 Cedar development will be on next week's Planning Applications Report.
Cool, any idea what is going in there and what is being replaced?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7941
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby mattaudio » October 14th, 2016, 7:49 am

A drive-through is proposed.

I can't say any more without compromising my wellbeing.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 180
Joined: February 3rd, 2013, 10:14 pm
Location: Northbound Brewpub - Standish

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby kiliff75 » October 14th, 2016, 8:01 am

Fair enough, thanks!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1760
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby amiller92 » October 14th, 2016, 9:25 am

mattaudio wrote:A drive-through is proposed.
NOOOO!!!

ETA: Seriously, that will be a giant cluster just for cars, much less for non-cars.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1760
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby amiller92 » October 19th, 2016, 1:20 pm

mattaudio wrote:A drive-through is proposed.

I can't say any more without compromising my wellbeing.
The Planning Applications Map now says this:

"Site plan review application for renovation of existing building and 1,160 square foot addition for new drive-thru."

Is the application itself public or available anywhere?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7941
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby mattaudio » October 19th, 2016, 1:41 pm

Allegedly a Starbucks. Tom's Popcorn may stay in the middle, and a Snap Fitness is rumored to go in the 47th St end. Bloomingtonized!

Image

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1760
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby amiller92 » October 19th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Well that sounds almost entirely worthless, or maybe affirmatively harmful.

JT$
City Center
Posts: 33
Joined: July 14th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby JT$ » October 19th, 2016, 2:12 pm

The fitness place will be a welcome addition, no gyms within walking distance for that neighborhood. Closest from a quick googling looks to be Snap on Hiawatha Ave or a on Nicollet.

grant1simons2
IDS Center
Posts: 4295
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby grant1simons2 » October 19th, 2016, 2:26 pm

I really enjoy when our city steps back in time 10 years. Proposals for drive through suburban developments, kicking small vendors off of Nicollet Mall, and continuing our great parking tradition in a historic Parktown East :)

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1760
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby amiller92 » October 19th, 2016, 3:07 pm

A gym is a perfectly fine tenant in a project that did more to make use of this spot, but a small addition to the building and a whole lot more parking lot and a drive through is terrible. Especially as there is a chain coffee place with a drive through practically across the street already.

It's like someone looked at the Caribou and Grand Old Creamery and thought, "he we could do that over here too" as though it's still the '90s or something. (Although old Street Views suggest that the Caribou was built in 2007 (maybe in an overhaul of a pre-existing structure?))

When Matt said drive through I was picturing a Walgreens or something, which would at least have brought something useful to the neighborhood. This is low-value with a complete lack of vision.
Last edited by amiller92 on October 19th, 2016, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1760
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby amiller92 » October 19th, 2016, 3:19 pm

mattaudio wrote:(image0
While I'm ranting, the traffic flow in this image makes no sense either. If we're going to have drive through coffee on each side of the street, we should be minimizing left turns and primarily encouraging people to use the one on the right side of the street (yeah, I know fans of over-priced coffee will have a preference).

Look at how a southbound car gets to the drive through window. It turns right off Cedar into the left hand lane of the parking lot entrance, in front of all of the exiting vehicles. Or it turns right on 37th, left into the parking lot and has to pass/line up in front of vehicles exiting the drive through.

Or for that matter, what of northbound Starbucks fans. They either turn across traffic on Cedar in the hope that there's a spot to wait in the line or they back up traffic. Or they turn on 37th, and thus encourage more people to illegal go around them on the right, over the oh-so-helpful white line that everyone ignores.

Even leaving aside the lack of merit of the proposal, I don't think this traffic flow works at all.

John21
Union Depot
Posts: 329
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:23 am
Location: 38th Street Station

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby John21 » October 19th, 2016, 4:38 pm

amiller92 wrote:
mattaudio wrote:(image0
While I'm ranting, the traffic flow in this image makes no sense either. If we're going to have drive through coffee on each side of the street, we should be minimizing left turns and primarily encouraging people to use the one on the right side of the street (yeah, I know fans of over-priced coffee will have a preference).

Look at how a southbound car gets to the drive through window. It turns right off Cedar into the left hand lane of the parking lot entrance, in front of all of the exiting vehicles. Or it turns right on 37th, left into the parking lot and has to pass/line up in front of vehicles exiting the drive through.

Or for that matter, what of northbound Starbucks fans. They either turn across traffic on Cedar in the hope that there's a spot to wait in the line or they back up traffic. Or they turn on 37th, and thus encourage more people to illegal go around them on the right, over the oh-so-helpful white line that everyone ignores.

Even leaving aside the lack of merit of the proposal, I don't think this traffic flow works at all.
Yeah, I don't like this at all. This block is already a mess for peds/bikes/cars.

JT$
City Center
Posts: 33
Joined: July 14th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby JT$ » October 20th, 2016, 2:19 pm

amiller92 wrote:A gym is a perfectly fine tenant in a project that did more to make use of this spot, but a small addition to the building and a whole lot more parking lot and a drive through is terrible. Especially as there is a chain coffee place with a drive through practically across the street already.

It's like someone looked at the Caribou and Grand Old Creamery and thought, "he we could do that over here too" as though it's still the '90s or something. (Although old Street Views suggest that the Caribou was built in 2007 (maybe in an overhaul of a pre-existing structure?))

When Matt said drive through I was picturing a Walgreens or something, which would at least have brought something useful to the neighborhood. This is low-value with a complete lack of vision.
The Caribou was a run-down auto service station, the Grand Old Creamery was an outdoor only seasonal Dairy Queen.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1760
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby amiller92 » October 20th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Thanks.

We should be getting something like this proposal in Richfield: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f ... 50#p121507

QuietBlue
Target Field
Posts: 511
Joined: September 14th, 2012, 8:50 am

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby QuietBlue » October 24th, 2016, 7:48 am

When is the peak southbound traffic on that stretch of Cedar? At least the Caribou is positioned to take advantage of the northbound traffic heading towards downtown or the U in the morning.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1760
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby amiller92 » October 24th, 2016, 10:51 am

All the time?? I don't know, exactly, but there is a fair amount of morning traffic heading south too.


Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests