Cedar Avenue corridor - South Minneapolis

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby mattaudio » November 2nd, 2016, 8:12 am

Zebras on Cedar! It's a start...
Cedar and Minnehaha Pkwy Zebra Stripes by Matt Steele, on Flickr

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 2nd, 2016, 1:02 pm

Complete with car!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 15th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Starbucks would anchor South Minneapolis gas station redevelopment
The Field Regina Northrop Neighborhood Group will discuss the plans with a project architect on Wednesday night at Lake Nokomis Presbyterian Church.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 15th, 2017, 4:41 pm

Staff report for upcoming CPC meeting considering revised site plan:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 194179.pdf

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 15th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Staff report for upcoming CPC meeting considering revised site plan:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 194179.pdf
Lol, Caribou Coffee is concerned about the drive-thru.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 15th, 2017, 5:25 pm

What kind of dork submits his site plan feedback to the City in a spreadsheet?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 15th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Clearly the work of an evil genius.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 16th, 2017, 11:36 am

Funny how uniform much of the language is in the feedback...

So, looking at the new site plan, they've made the drive through less of a giant clusterf*ck, but it's still a drive through.

I'm disappointed by the total lack of ambition by the developer, but at least I can feel good about patronizing all of the neighboring businesses that provided feedback.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 22nd, 2017, 10:12 am

4700 Cedar site plan was approved by City Planning Commission with all conditions recommended by the staff report, and an additional condition of approval requiring one curb cut on Cedar instead of two. That last one definitely throws a wrench into the site plan, and I'm expecting possible appeals by the developer and by some immediate neighbors.

Sara Bergen

Postby Sara Bergen » March 4th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Not sure if someone has posted this or not, but I am 99% sure the Colossal (sp?) Cafe is moving into the old Pilgrimage site (Citizen's Cafe before that) on 38th street. The boxes out back are addressed to the Colossal Cafe at that address.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 6th, 2017, 11:50 am

Regarding 4700 Cedar: "The applicant did appeal the decision. They are appealing the condition that limits the number of curb cuts on Cedar. That was the only appeal that we received. Notices will be mailed out today for the March 16th Zoning and Planning committee hearing."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 6th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Not sure if someone has posted this or not, but I am 99% sure the Colossal (sp?) Cafe is moving into the old Pilgrimage site (Citizen's Cafe before that) on 38th street. The boxes out back are addressed to the Colossal Cafe at that address.
I saw some people poking around the former Pilgrimage/Citizens Cafe site yesterday afternoon. The current Colossal Cafe location is so small it's stupid. I've tried to go twice and couldn't get in...haven't gone back. The place has less seating than Al's Breakfast... honestly not sure how Colossal could turn a profit serving so few people at any given time. Hence why they're moving (I assume).

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » March 7th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Confirmed - Colossal is moving to where Pilgrimage was on 38th street. They'll be closing the current location in 3/31 and opening the new one a few months later. They also plan to do something (not disclosed) with the current location.

https://www.google.com/amp/twincities.e ... dress-open

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 7th, 2017, 11:40 am

Apparently thing are moving forward at 4700 Cedar: http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2824110084

Did anything happen with the appeal over the second curb cut? Is it going ahead without the drive through? If so, that would be the worst scenario averted but still a disappointingly low-value use for this spot.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 7th, 2017, 2:27 pm

The developer's appeal was denied. So if they wish to proceed with their site plan as approved, it includes the condition that there is only one curb cut on Cedar. If they wish to do something substantially different, they would need to start the process over again (hopefully not before we can get a moratorium on drive thrus thankyouverymuch).

Looks like they decided this one was worth building even with that thorn in their plans.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » September 1st, 2017, 3:09 pm

Apparently thing are moving forward at 4700 Cedar: http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2824110084

Did anything happen with the appeal over the second curb cut? Is it going ahead without the drive through? If so, that would be the worst scenario averted but still a disappointingly low-value use for this spot.
This is underway.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 5th, 2017, 2:39 pm

The Original On 42nd (at Cedar) closed yesterday after a very short run. Expensive place, but great sandwiches. Wish they could have made it longer.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 5th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Yeah, very tasty. Sad to lose them.

I think I would have gone there more often, but the $14 price point for a sandwich with no sides was tough to justify on a regular basis.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 5th, 2017, 5:35 pm

Good sandwiches, but overpriced and a downright terrible location for this type of business. Did they even bother putting up a sign? I think they completely misread the neighborhood on price-point, foot traffic, everything. Decent enough concept, which might've had a chance in North Loop, Old St. Anthony, Linden Hills or 50th & France, etc.

I am constantly amazed at how many entrepreneurs aren't that good at it. If you don't understand "location, location, location", there's bound to be trouble.

*throws coupon in garbage*

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Cedar Avenue - Powderhorn-Nokomis area

Postby mattaudio » December 5th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Hey, at least they tried! Maybe they can retool elsewhere. And maybe the next occupant of this cute little space can learn from the experience. Colossal Cafe seemed to manage from that outpost for probably a decade under two different owners.