Chicago Avenue Corridor - Powderhorn & Nokomis Area

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Minneapolisite

Chicago Avenue Corridor - Powderhorn & Nokomis Area

Postby Minneapolisite » June 19th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Anyone else notice the changes going on here? An art gallery moved in next to Blue Ox Coffee (which is a great addition: get the Gibraltar) and there's the Arts on Chicago which has helped spruce up the area, not to mention Modern Times Cafe which sticks out like a sore thumb and Full Cycle which looks like a newer spot. It's still not the best strip and there's one/three too many dumpy corner markets with prison bars in the windows, but it's certainly progressing. In comparison, Livingston Ave back in Columbus comes to mind as the closest comparison I can think of with its prevalence of corner markets, except that's about all there is and nothing seems to be in the works for that to change. It looks like the area around the intersection of E 38th is where the focus is and it should be interesting to see what other spots move in over here.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Re: Chicago Avenue - Powderhorn (Lake St to 42nd St)

Postby mplser » June 19th, 2013, 6:59 pm

not to mention north of lake st too. I used to ride the school bus through there every day as a kid and I remember at least every other house being abandoned and derelict. and that wasn't even that long ago...

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » June 19th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Also, I forgot to mention south of Lake that at least southbound Chicago Ave could so easily accommodate bike lanes: two cars can squeeze side-by-side in the travel lane and there's still another lane for parking! I'm kind of surprised that on a commercial street like this where it wouldn't be an issue that it hasn't been done: they could even give it a wider buffer than on Portland & Park. Whatever increased accessibility for businesses here that could come from bike lanes I'm sure would be more than worth it.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 19th, 2013, 7:49 pm

I really like this neighborhood too and maybe would someday live in the area. The paradox is living far enough south to not be in a shitty neighborhood but not too far south to be directly under the flightpath.

Anyone ever live in the vicinity of Chicago & 48th? How's the airplane noise level there?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 19th, 2013, 9:20 pm

I thought Chicago & 48th was a pretty nice area?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 19th, 2013, 10:16 pm

I live near Chicago and 48th. Great area.

eazydp
Metrodome

Postby eazydp » June 19th, 2013, 11:38 pm

38th/Chicago also has the Fire Arts center (http://www.cafac.org/), which is a cool and unique amenity. It is seemingly one of the more "artist friendly" intersections in South, due to the proximity to reasonable cheap housing and cheap retail spaces. I had not heard of the Arts on Chicago project, which is very cool. It also features Chicago Lake liquor, the cheapest beer in the city. There is also still the occasional drive-by shooting to liven things up and keep up the street cred (http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/04/0 ... -shooting/).

I live a few blocks South of 48th/Chicago, airport noise is loud but the great neighborhood amenities make up for it. Plus we all have MAC improvements to our roofs/windows, so if you are inside you cannot notice it. You get used to it when hanging out int eh yard. Just have to pause your conversations when the jets are overhead.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » June 19th, 2013, 11:40 pm

This is where I grew up and I agree, it's a wonderful area. I think the Parkway is one of the best urban green spaces in the US. The airplanes are noisy though.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 20th, 2013, 5:58 am

i used to ride the 5 bus all the time as a kid as well. it's cool to see chicago ave becoming urbane. the 48th intersection has always been great...pepitos has been there forever. seems like forever. the "cup" foods further down is still a frequent problem spot unfortunately. then we have all the improvements at the lake st intersection passing the hospitals. all in all the street has made leaps and bounds.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 20th, 2013, 7:06 am

the "cup" foods further down is still a frequent problem spot unfortunately.
Could you please elaborate on this one? It does seem to be your run of the mill junk food convenience store from the outside, but I've been taking my phone in their lately for repairs, and the staff is friendly, they have lots of produce (compared to other convenience stores), they have a large selection, a "restaurant," and lots of other stuff that seems to really serve the surrounding neighborhood well. Plus, whenever I go in there, there's always a few people just hanging out, sitting at the tables, talking to each other. It has a unique community feel that would be missed. Maybe there's something I don't know though--does a lot of crime come from that place?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 20th, 2013, 7:10 am

It's been a while since I lived in the area, but the cup foods attracted a lot of undesirable elements to the area, and the sidewalk in front was one of the major drug dealing corners in south Minneapolis. I believe there have been several shootings there, but I'm not too sure on that.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 20th, 2013, 7:14 am

My wife and I live directly under the flight path (and I mean *directly*. We can't see the planes' tails) a few blocks from 48th and Chicago. Despite the annoyances of the airport, we absolutely love the area and are constantly thankful for our good fortune. We have extremely easy access to the Parkway and walk to 48th and Chicago all the time. It's really hard to beat and the noise is a small nuisance compared to the amenities. We like living in a city, with all the positives and negatives that go with it.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 20th, 2013, 8:00 am

It's been a while since I lived in the area, but the cup foods attracted a lot of undesirable elements to the area, and the sidewalk in front was one of the major drug dealing corners in south Minneapolis. I believe there have been several shootings there, but I'm not too sure on that.
I guess I can see that... I just have a fondness for corner stores that blinds me from all of their faults. (Corner stores are an integral part of skate culture.) The area could really use a full service grocery store though. See this article from last year: http://blogs.mprnews.org/cities/2012/07 ... od-desert/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 20th, 2013, 8:16 am

1. 38th/Chicago has really turned around over the past 3 or so years.
2. If so many of us live in the Parkway/Chicago/46th/Bloomington area, why don't we have a HH down this waw?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 20th, 2013, 9:06 am

i just have read that cup foods still generates a fair share of police calls. it wasn't a comment on the quality of the store or the employees.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » June 20th, 2013, 9:18 am

My kids go to school in this area. On a walking/trash gathering day, we were to go down 38th to Chicago and back. One of the older (middle school) girls was deathly afraid to cross the street to where a large black man in a white t-shirt was standing at the corner. After we went by (and pleasantly said "Hi" to the man), I consulted her that the first step in making your neighborhood safer is show the "bad people" you are brave enough to walk its streets on a sunny spring afternoon.

This area gets a bad rep. Yes, there are problems, crime statistics will show. But the feeling is positive. There are few boarded up houses and businesses lining the streets. Graffiti isn't prevalent. Phelps Park is well maintained, the few times I've been there. The area has a much more positive vibe than, say, Bloomington Ave between 23rd and 28th Streets.

One improvement I'd like to see is to actually _reduce_ the security on the Phelps Park community center. Going into the front doors feels like you're entering a jail. It makes me want to not be there, when I can go to any number of other parks (Powderhorn, Corcoran). However, the Park Board doesn't control Phelps, its under lease to the Boys and Girls Club, and they will do what they do.

And what's the deal with that place on 38th/11th Ave, with the solar panels? It seems like something big started, but now nothing is moving.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 20th, 2013, 9:24 am

It's nice that the Powderhorn hippies have finally gotten around to gentrifying this area. Excuse me, adding diverse vibrancy through arts-based community empowerment techniques. It would be nice if there was a bit more zoning support - much of the corridor is at R2B (two-unit residential), which is a bit low considering the apartment buildings that pepper the street. Even a lot of the vacant lots and parking lots are still R2B. Obviously the city can't make the school board do anything, but that near half-block parking lot across from the school-fortress complex at 33rd-34th would be a great spot for mixed use a la Nicollet Square.
And what's the deal with that place on 38th/11th Ave, with the solar panels? It seems like something big started, but now nothing is moving.
That was a Kim Bartmann project I think. Maybe she got distracted by her Bread & Pickle fight.
"Who rescued whom!"

Uptown46
Metrodome

Postby Uptown46 » June 20th, 2013, 9:44 am

The Kim Bartmann project is still moving forward (but slowly). It's called Tiny Diner: https://www.facebook.com/TinyDiner
http://tinydinerhoneyhousefarm.wordpress.com

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » June 20th, 2013, 10:02 am

Wouldn't lake street be far, far better as a turning lane and 2 lanes, instead of its current 4-lanes?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 20th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Wouldn't lake street be far, far better as a turning lane and 2 lanes, instead of its current 4-lanes?
Or far, far worse, if your goal is to provide access to the majority of corridor users who travel year round in buses and cars.