Seward Co-op Friendship Store - (38th St & Clinton Ave)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
chimpls
Block E

Seward Co-op Friendship Store - (38th St & Clinton Ave)

Postby chimpls » June 21st, 2013, 3:02 pm

i hope this is the correct location for posting this (my first time posting something) . i saw that the seward co-op is exploring the possibility of opening a second location in south minneapolis.

http://seward.coop/friendshipsite

MNdible
is great.

Re: second seward co-op location

Postby MNdible » June 21st, 2013, 4:00 pm

Sounds promising!

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Re: Second Seward Co-op Location

Postby seanrichardryan » June 21st, 2013, 6:29 pm

Love the Seward, I'd be glad to have another.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » June 22nd, 2013, 12:18 pm

I was thinking it'd either be the southern end of Longfellow or Powderhorn. The only thing is, shouldn't this be renamed as the Powderhorn Co-op since it's well outside of Seward? Or at least the Seward Powderhorn/Powderhorn Seward Co-op. Glaring name issue aside, this'll be a great asset and yet another improvement for E 38th in an area of Powderhorn which still needs some more love.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 22nd, 2013, 1:17 pm

38th & Clinton. That area needs this. Not just the area east of 35W, which needs all sorts of investment, but there really aren't any grocery stores in Kingfield either. Along with the suddenly gentrifying 38th & Chicago, this area could be upwardly mobile in the coming years. Houses in Kingfield are now completely out of reach for first-time buyers.

Here comes the neighborhood!

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » June 22nd, 2013, 3:25 pm

I wouldn't call what's there on Chicago "gentrifying" yet; what did Blue Ox and the gallery replace anyway?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Seward Co-op Friendship Store - (38th St & Clinton Ave)

Postby mullen » June 24th, 2013, 6:50 am

great news about this new store. south mpls generally is ill-served by grocery stores. i thought I read somewhere there was new store going into a location on east lake st.

stock345
Metrodome

Postby stock345 » June 24th, 2013, 7:20 am

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1408

Was this what you read about?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 24th, 2013, 7:40 am

yep...it was in some planning commission minutes or something.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 2nd, 2013, 1:33 pm

I read an article about this in Saturday's F&C print edition.

All sorts of barfy comments by the architect about "parking is the key to everything" and such. It was way over the top. Apparently Seward Co-op has 4 spaces per 1,000 sf and the new location will have 5 spaces/1000sf. The worst part: they're tearing down a SFH and a Duplex to do this. I think the site dimensions will be similar to Seward, but perhaps with a smaller building. Now granted, this is not as bike-walk-transitable as Seward, and the surrounding population density is lower, but Seward draws people from far and wide. I think this new location will have a much more neighborhood-oriented consumer base, due to its less prominent location. There's simply no good reason for tearing down the SFH and/or Duplex when you don't absolutely need to do so.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 2nd, 2013, 1:43 pm

So, when the market says you need to tear down single family homes in the Wedge to build an apartment building, the market is wise and must be respected. But when the market says you need to tear down single family homes at this location to make a workable grocery store, the market is stupid and should be ignored?

Most people will walk/bike to the grocery store if the weather is nice and they're only getting a few things. If you're buying a week's worth of groceries, most people will want to drive. And the 23 doesn't have frequent enough service to help much.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 2nd, 2013, 1:52 pm

Are we sure they aren't trying to meet minimum parking requirements?

Also, assuming they do want to tear down SFH, they would need a zoning change to convert SFH into parking lot.

Regarding groceries, tons of people in my neighborhood walk to get groceries all year long since we have a store within a few blocks. And this is further south (less dense) than 38th St. And when you can walk to the grocery store as part of your normal routine, you don't need to stock up on weeks of food at a time.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 2nd, 2013, 1:55 pm

mattaudio wrote:Regarding groceries, tons of people in my neighborhood walk to get groceries all year long since we have a store within a few blocks
Key phrase: within a few blocks. This store is hoping to serve a broad swath of South Minneapolis. They wouldn't build a store this big if they were only hoping to serve the immediate neighborhood.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 2nd, 2013, 2:02 pm

MNdible wrote:Key phrase: within a few blocks. This store is hoping to serve a broad swath of South Minneapolis. They wouldn't build a store this big if they were only hoping to serve the immediate neighborhood.
This gets me thinking a bit about Uptown. Where we live, we can walk to no less than five groceries: The Wedge, Rainbow, Kowalski's, Lunds and Bill's. All but Bill's are of the "regional serving" variety and have parking lots. With all of the new units going in I wonder if it might be feasible for some of these stores to shrink or remove the parking lots. I am thinking in particular of The Wedge which has always been an urban development thorn and has some prime property. Of course most of the new construction is at the other end of the neighborhood but certainly we'll see stuff spring up around Franklin/Lyndale soon enough.

Of course we want to see the Rainbow/Arby's block redeveloped. I hope that any new development can integrate a walkup-style Rainbow. It's really not a bad place to go when you realize you're missing a key ingredient for dinner.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 2nd, 2013, 2:21 pm

MNdible, it's worth noting that there is nearly unlimited "free" parking on every street in this area. It is not a busy area and is far enough away from any other commercial activity to pretty much have the streets to itself. Obviously there are parking miniumums, but the City has been quite generous in granting variances. Yes, they need a workable site plan for truck traffic, proper circulation and the like. But when taking into account that they have virtually zero competition for on-street parking on all surrounding sides, they could get by without tearing down one or both of the existing housing units. It would reduce their up-front site acquisition costs and (probably?) lower their yearly property taxes by having a smaller parcel.

I don't think the 2316-20 Colfax proposal is a fair comparison at all. In fact it's the opposite. This would reduce density in the neighborhood and reduce the overall supply of housing (granted, by like 3 or 4 units, but still). The Colfax proposal would have increased supply and density.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 2nd, 2013, 2:34 pm

twincitizen wrote:I don't think the 2316-20 Colfax proposal is a fair comparison at all. In fact it's the opposite. This would reduce density in the neighborhood and reduce the overall supply of housing (granted, by like 3 or 4 units, but still). The Colfax proposal would have increased supply and density.
I already knew why you liked that proposal more than this one (and I agree with you), but it doesn't explain this board's curious tendency to become laissez-faire free marketeers when it suits them...

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » July 2nd, 2013, 2:41 pm

In fairness, the demand for parking only exists at its current level because of all the direct and indirect subsidies that enable car use/ownership.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 2nd, 2013, 3:26 pm

ECtransplant wrote:In fairness, the demand for parking only exists at its current level because of all the direct and indirect subsidies that enable car use/ownership.

Didn't see that coming...

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 2nd, 2013, 4:39 pm

Parking aside, when I first heard about this proposal, I was unenthused about the location. A few blocks down at 38th and Chicago would have been much more transit friendly, accessible, and most importantly would have likely been the golden ticket for this area that's already seeing tons of momentum.

This one's just kind of in the middle of nowhere (which I guess might be the point?), and doesn't even connect well with the ghost of a business node at 4th Ave and 38th St.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 2nd, 2013, 4:58 pm

I think that's ok though. Ever notice how Pizza Luce locates their stores like 2-3 blocks out of the commercial core? (i.e. Selby not Grand; 32nd not Lake St, etc.) They have the name recognition and draw from a wide enough area to do so, plus they probably save a little on the site acquisition. I think this is the perfect spot. They are going to be financing this thing by the seat of their pants and probably could not afford something at the corner of Chicago and 38th. Plus, I'd rather save the commercial node for small businesses that really need the visibility and synergy of being located among other small businesses. Even if Chicago & 38th flourishes, there would still be a massive 3/4-mile dead zone between Chicago and Nicollet. This co-op will still benefit 38th & Chicago, no doubt about it.

Additionally, it is important to remember that this will draw heavily from the west side of 35W. Kingfield does not have a single grocery store. Other than the abundance of stores in Uptown and along Lake Street, the next grocery stores to the south are 3-3.5 miles away: Kowalskis at Lyndale & 54th and Cub Foods at Nicollet & 59th. Kingfield needs this as much as the neighborhoods east of 35W do. When you factor that in, I think it's sited perfectly, relative to the "food desert" in this area of Minneapolis. This store should do gangbuster business.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”