Seward Co-op Friendship Store - (38th St & Clinton Ave)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Seward Co-op Friendship Store - (38th St & Clinton Ave)

Postby twincitizen » July 14th, 2013, 10:04 am

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 14th, 2013, 10:06 am

twincitizen wrote:Is this for real: http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/2013/ ... inneapolis ?
Sure, why not? I'd feel the same way. Are you saying their concerns are somehow not legitimate?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 14th, 2013, 12:17 pm

I'd say don't look a gift horse and the mouth and end up with nothing! It is one thing to want to participate and have a wish list. It is another to expect that your going to get everything you want by playing hard ball. There are many other atrea that would welcome the Coop with open arms.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2013, 1:40 pm

These people do have options. As consumers, they can choose to avoid this future store. As economic agents, they could band together and start a store that fits their vision. But they have absolutely no place in telling a business off like this, and I hope their concerns are dismissed as without merit.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 14th, 2013, 2:17 pm

I didn't read about anyone "telling off" anyone. They want a store they can afford to shop at. What's wrong with that?

Honestly, some of the comments here do reflect a viewpoint of the co-op "saving" the neighborhood. That's patronizing and very midguided.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 14th, 2013, 2:42 pm

I last week talked to the managers of two different coops, one being Seward. When you are a member of the coop you have a say in what they carry, if there is a large enough core of the neighbors that want to buy in then they have just as much clot as anyone else.

I myself do not see them as saving the neighborhood. I see them as expanding and moving into an under represented market. This also is a COOP not WALMART so the prices will reflect the fresh and quality or the products that they carried.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2013, 3:31 pm

They could try to lure in an Aldi or a Trader Joes for good affordable food?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 14th, 2013, 6:40 pm

David Greene wrote:Honestly, some of the comments here do reflect a viewpoint of the co-op "saving" the neighborhood. That's patronizing and very midguided.
Ironic, coming from the guy who constantly talks about "saving" north Minneapolis with SWLRT.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 14th, 2013, 8:55 pm

twincitizen wrote:
David Greene wrote:Honestly, some of the comments here do reflect a viewpoint of the co-op "saving" the neighborhood. That's patronizing and very midguided.
Ironic, coming from the guy who constantly talks about "saving" north Minneapolis with SWLRT.
Ad hominem. I advocate for SWLRT to North *because the residents there want it.*

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 14th, 2013, 9:03 pm

mattaudio wrote:They could try to lure in an Aldi or a Trader Joes for good affordable food?
Not sure that an Aldi's would work as they would want a decent size lot for the building size that they usually go for + parking. Trader Joe's would want a whole different demographics. Plus the neighbors would be up in arms about the 3 buck Chuck!! Again with both it comes down to Location, location, location. Steady bus routes, decent traffic flow, TJ would have liquior issues also that just don't add up for a corporate store.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on July 14th, 2013, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2013, 9:03 pm

I want it to swing over by my house near Lake Nokomis on its way downtown. Maybe we can have that. I call it Alternative 3Z.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 14th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Here's the thing about this location/neighborhood:

I wouldn't buy a house there without the co-op moving in, and a little bit of "gentrification" around it would be icing on the cake.

EDIT: Just so I don't come off as a complete butthole, I did, in fact, look at this house in real life this weekend http://www.edinarealty.com/homes-for-sa ... e-93265133

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 14th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Found some updates, including a project description and timeline: http://seward.coop/posts/friendshipsite/511

Preliminary site plan: http://seward.coop/repository/1/740/pre ... teplan.pdf

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » October 14th, 2013, 7:50 pm

I just don't see the point the opposition is making. Is another over-priced junk food store a la the SA on 38th and Chicago what they want? Why no protesting that? And the doctors' bills after damaging your body with chemical-filled faux food is way more expensive than going to the new co-op. Oh, and there is Cup Foods which usually has shady characters and the occasional shooting/stabbing. So, judging by their silence on critiquing these grocery options, I take it they want more of that over here too instead of a co-op?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 14th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Right in, right out on 38th. Sure. And if you believe that...

That's a minor point, though. I think the store will be a benefit to the neighborhood, and the scale of the store and its parking lot seems reasonable.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 15th, 2013, 9:18 am

It's not like there's ever traffic on 38th to make disobedience of RIRO problematic...

I'm happy to see they're going for a second floor and a little surprised they're going so large.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 6th, 2013, 10:35 am

There's a petition going over at change.org to support the necessary rezoning of the site to allow the co-op: http://www.change.org/petitions/minneap ... ship-store

I signed it, not that I think it's entirely necessary, but it certainly can't hurt. I'm pretty sure Elizabeth Glidden supports the co-op coming to the neighborhood, so this is probably going to happen regardless. It would be colossally stupid to block this development.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » December 7th, 2013, 12:30 pm

The Seward Coop is growing so fast they're moving they're moving back-of-the-house operations down the street to Franklin & 26th.

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/2013/ ... n-creamery
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 7th, 2013, 12:58 pm

I'm loving everything I read in that article. Perhaps this will activate that corner more and even spur someone to clean up that 3 story building across 26th.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Seward Community Co-Op - "Friendly"

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 15th, 2014, 4:40 pm

http://seward.coop/posts/546

Signatures From Property Owners Acquired

Posted January 10, 2014
We are happy to announce that we have the required signatures from property owners needed to move forward with a second store at 38th St. and 3rd Ave. This exciting development has been in the works since the last community meeting, hosted by the Friendship Site project task force* on Nov. 6, 2013. At that meeting, we gathered feedback on the proposed preliminary site plan.

With the signatures from the property owners who reside within 100 feet of the project site in hand, our next step will be preparing a rezoning request application. The Friendship site properties are currently zoned as residential, and in order for a grocery store to be constructed, the area must be rezoned to commercial and parking. One of the main elements of the project package that will be submitted to the city for approval is the site plan, which shows how the store, parking lot and green spaces will be placed on the property. Our site plan includes ample parking for customers, a new alley design, new sidewalks around the perimeter of the property, and ornamental fences combined with new decorative plantings and trees.

View Plans here: http://seward.coop/repository/1/780/con ... 1_6_13.pdf

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”