What The?

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: What The?

Postby mattaudio » August 13th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Not to be confused with Sabra hummous.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 13th, 2013, 5:41 pm

It's so wacko and campy, I almost kind of like it. Reminds me of a building on a "B'" movie set from the 1950's.
Last edited by John on August 14th, 2013, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 13th, 2013, 8:32 pm

I feel like everyone is being over-dramatic. I've seen worse in other cities, at least.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 13th, 2013, 9:08 pm

To be charitable about this, Sabri properties have a way of fulfilling the Jane Jacobsian rent diversity niche of "old buildings". Except he has a knack of doing it with new construction! Uncanny. *cough*

I'm kind of reminded of the development seen in Ciudad Juarez. [fixed Juarez]
Last edited by Anondson on August 13th, 2013, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 13th, 2013, 10:09 pm

Anondson wrote:To be charitable about this, Sabri properties have a way of fulfilling the Jane Jacobsian rent diversity niche of "old buildings". Except he has a knack of doing it with new construction! Uncanny. *cough*

I'm kind of reminded of the development seen in Ciudad Jarez.
It's "Ciduady" (or "Juarezy")!

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » August 14th, 2013, 10:46 am

I walked by it last night, it's really terrible, the top overhangs the brick portion in a really weird way, I told the friends I was with to tell me what they though of this addition (trying to get an objective opinion) And once they stopped either laughing/staring mouth agape... they were all pretty sad that this was being done to the building. It doesn't even look stable.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » August 14th, 2013, 10:55 am

Same here - drove by twice last night. It looks like a step stool was placed on top of the building. Based on its appearance, it looks like this thing was not approved by anyone. Weird and ugly.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » August 14th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Who's ward is this again? Permit check please.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » August 14th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Oh, he actually pulled permits. How nice.

http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2924330178

It appears the four tenants will be 'Disenos', 'Just Falafels', 'West Coffee' & 'On Fire Pizza.'
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » August 14th, 2013, 2:02 pm

And where exactly do you put 4 retail tenants? This is just going to be the most awkward thing :/

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 14th, 2013, 5:02 pm

"Just Falafels" = Just for laughs? That's hilarious.

garfield
Metrodome

Postby garfield » August 14th, 2013, 9:50 pm

This evening they started doing a palm tree mural thingy on the Grand Avenue side. I'm sure that will turn out nice.

In addition to being terribly ugly, it is appalling how shoddy the construction is. If you ever follow a Sabri development, they don't appear to follow time-tested construction processes...they finish interiors before windows are installed, they apply exterior finished on the first floor before the second floor is roughed in, and they do everything as cheaply as possibly. The good news is that this building should be falling apart in about ten years.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 15th, 2013, 7:36 am

Nick wrote:"Just Falafels" = Just for laughs? That's hilarious.
Is Falafel (I pronounce it "Fa-law-ful") supposed to be pronounced "Fa-Laf-ul"?

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » August 15th, 2013, 9:53 pm

There is a chance that once this addition has some age it will be one of those buildings that are so bizarre and awkward that they are oddly captivating (like 6 Quebec). I wouldn't bet any money on that notion though.

It looks like a boat to me.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 15th, 2013, 10:35 pm

^^^Bizarre is an apt description for this project. From media reports, it's pretty apparent this developer has got some serious "issues". This design just reflects that.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » August 16th, 2013, 9:39 am

Last night I was driving down lake street with a bunch of friends who could care less about most development (but know I follow it quite a bit). One of them pointed it out and said WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT!? They all looked and then looked back at me, as if I could offer some sort of explanation. I said, I had no words. The general consensus amongst them was that not only did it look completely alien, but totally unsafe. I think some of them are interested in development and how to make better development happen now though, we had a nice long convo about the process. It might take a couple of prominent turds to get the general public to want to pay more attention thought I guess...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 4th, 2013, 2:10 pm

I noticed that this area has metered parking, one of the few instances outside of downtown that I can think of where metered parking turns down such minor sidestreets. I have to assume that this is somehow related to the city's/neighbor's angst regarding the Sabri developments. Anybody know how long it's been like this or what the exact rationale for doing it was?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » October 14th, 2013, 7:39 pm

The fuck made that? I haven't biked by this part of Lake for a while and this is what happens!?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 15th, 2013, 8:22 am

To give the Devil his due, it is finally looking a lot better than it did a few months ago. But no matter how much makeup you put on a wart, it still stands out and is not that pretty. Will have to see what a carved up mess this building really is like once it tries to open. Anyone heard if there is any of the space leased yet?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 15th, 2013, 9:05 am

Knowing Sabri, he probably had half the spaces rented and occupied before construction was half done.
"Who rescued whom!"

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”