What The?

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Re: What The?

Postby woofner » November 6th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Okok dude, I just thought them things were purty, sorry...
"Who rescued whom!"

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 18th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Well this thing is moving along and getting to look a bit more respectable. That have hung some stylish light globes that will glow blue when they are on. The first floor deli/? looks to be close to being finished soon. The hallway leading to the back part of the building actually look bright and inviting. I think it will be a neighborhood destination that will be used by the immigrant community.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 28th, 2014, 10:24 am

The Sabri project at 27th and Lake is actually looking pretty nice so far. There's no finishing yet, but there are a lot more windows in the building now with some interesting curved arches.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » March 28th, 2014, 10:26 am

I saw it last night and thought 'What a goddamn mess.'
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 28th, 2014, 10:48 am

Very interesting article on the developer of the 27/Lake property:
http://www.longfellownokomismessenger.c ... -building/

And there is apparently a third brother, who is partially involved with this long-vacant apartment building on Franklin:
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 09763.html

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » March 28th, 2014, 10:48 am

It's too bad nobody could persuade him this was a bad idea.
The only thing I like about it is that it totally reminds me of when I lived in Cambodia..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1428319660713098

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 28th, 2014, 11:23 am

How does Basim fit into all of this? He's the one that's a convicted felon and has done time, correct?

Thanks for sharing that article. Hamoudi is the one I've seen at Whittier Alliance meetings, criticizing the Executive Director, etc.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 6th, 2014, 8:51 am

A Sabri building partially collapsed. Hope everyone is ok.
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 13061.html

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » May 6th, 2014, 9:05 am

mattaudio wrote:A Sabri building partially collapsed. Hope everyone is ok.
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 13061.html
I thought something seemed fishy about this building when I was biking the greenway. Glad everyone is okay.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 6th, 2014, 9:37 am

This is my surprised face.

-_-

jennifat
City Center

Postby jennifat » May 6th, 2014, 11:13 am

Perhaps this building collapse is an opportunity for officials to get a closer look at this developer's portfolio of shoddy, substandard projects. Maybe someday building permits won't be awarded to just anyone.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » May 6th, 2014, 11:22 am

that's the problem. He doesn't get permits...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 6th, 2014, 11:41 am

Yeah, I'd have to think there are a lot of people at City Hall who are now nervous about the years of turning a blind eye to Sabri's illegal and unsafe building activities.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 7th, 2014, 9:14 am

The silver lining in this incident is it forces Mr Sabri to be held much more accountable to the Somali and other immigrant communities he has profited from with his projects.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » May 7th, 2014, 10:10 am

I was talking to a somali friend of mine last night and all he had to say about it was "he is a crook"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 24th, 2014, 7:56 am

Heh, our favorite building may be seeing some changes: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 128692.pdf

It seems the addition to the roof was not at all what they were approved for. They were allowed to build a 2nd story addition, but it was to be set back from Lake Street and not have the massive parapet. They requested additional changes, and got busted basically. Staff is now recommending as a condition of approval that the huge parapet come down and the (already built) 2nd story have a flat roof with limited parapet. The cupola(s) will remain. Also, it seems they put a bunch of utilities (an array of gas meters) in the public right-of-way along Grand (the wall with the nice mural). I've noticed that equipment on my walks to the liquor store and/or Uptown Pizza and thought "hmmm...that wasn't there when the building was vacant"
PROJECT DESCRIPTION. The applicant previously applied for an administrative site plan review
(BZZ-6141) to construct a 42 foot by 75 foot second story addition above the portion that projects
toward Lake Street, with a 14 foot by 14 foot cupola above. The addition has since been constructed;
however, the applicant built outside the approved scope, constructing a 25 foot by 42 foot covered roof
deck to Lake Street West.

During the review process, staff noticed that the submitted drawings do not match what was
constructed on the site. In addition, there appears to be mechanical equipment extending over the
property line on the west side that is not reflected in any submitted plans. Final plans shall be required
to reflect actual construction that meets any approvals of this site plan review.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 24th, 2014, 8:47 am

^^^Good old Mr Sabri. He is is always trying to get away with as much as he can and defy authority. It's his raison d'être ;)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 24th, 2014, 9:16 am

What can't the city just sue him? I mean, there has to be a legal recourse otherwise every developer would just ignore zoning and code.

Yes, I understand local politics, blah, blah, blah. It's setting a terrible precedent.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » July 24th, 2014, 9:18 am

Why are they just noticing this now? I'd think anything with Sabri on the permit would justify extra inspections scrutiny.

I miss Nordquist signs...
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » July 24th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Turn it into a museum of bad urban planning and development in Greater MSP. It could be called the Museum of Urban Failure. Eminent domain would be appropriate as a museum of that type would serve the public.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”