Nicollet-Lake - greater Kmart area

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mulad

Re: Lake & Nicollet

Postby mulad » December 17th, 2013, 11:31 am

Hard to say. Sears has been selling off some of their more valuable properties lately.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 17th, 2013, 12:25 pm

My understanding of eminent domain is that it's not a choice, but I don't think that'll fly, legally.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 17th, 2013, 1:58 pm

My understanding of eminent domain is that it's not a choice, but I don't think that'll fly, legally.
Why would it not be an option? It would be for (re-)creating a public street. That's pretty much exactly what eminent domain is for.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » December 17th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Is it possible to tear this down and give K-Mart a subsidy to rebuild a new urban store at this location, or to be a tenant in a mixed-use building here? Yes? No?
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 18th, 2013, 10:41 am

I noticed something recently about this area I thought was worth sharing.

I don't know if it's because Lake & Nicollet is at a high elevation point compared to the rest of Whittier, or lack of trees around Kmart, or that this stretch of Nicollet Ave doesn't have a single building over 4 stories (yet), but the view of the downtown skyline from Lake (or 31st) and Nicollet is one of the best you can get this far south. On a sunny morning, it is a shimmering backdrop behind the low-slung Kmart and its nasty parking crater.

Whatever gets built here in the eventual redevelopment is going to have incredible views of downtown, whether it's 4, 6, or 10 story buildings.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 28th, 2014, 11:23 am

New staff report with an update on the redevelopment area and status of the properties to be acquired (potentially, obviously):
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 121272.pdf

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 28th, 2014, 12:14 pm

A couple things to note:
-3000 Nicollet, or 'In Town on Lake' will be an obstacle (96 individual PIDs!). It's hideous and poorly engages the street on all faces. Idea*- they could fill the front 'courtyard' with a 1 story commercial space with a green roof for residents on top. Walk out units units!
-The last two pages lay the groundwork for some legal wrangling with property owners. I want to see the actual 'blight' ratings of the individual buildings. 'If you don't selleth, we doth taketh'
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » February 28th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » March 1st, 2014, 4:12 pm

If the K-Mart goes, where's the nearest discount store? Target at Hi-Lake or downtown?

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 1st, 2014, 4:44 pm

If the K-Mart goes, where's the nearest discount store? Target at Hi-Lake or downtown?
If K-Mart goes I would imagine a CityTarget or Target Express would be part of a new development.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 2nd, 2014, 10:49 am

Hasn't SEARS been pretty explicit that they want to be a part of the new development?

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 2nd, 2014, 12:02 pm

Hasn't SEARS been pretty explicit that they want to be a part of the new development?
Will either K-Mart or Sears still be in business?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 2nd, 2014, 1:51 pm

If K-Mart goes I would imagine a CityTarget or Target Express would be part of a new development.
I think many of us would agree that a classier discount store (than KMart) and/or Trader Joes would make a good fit here as retail anchors.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 2nd, 2014, 2:07 pm

Many of US might agree something classier would be desired, but the possibility of Trader Joes has already riled up anti-gentrification sentiment in Portland, OR, so vehiment that TJs pulled their proposal. Each city is unique with its own history and neighborhood dynamics, so maybe that would never happen in Minneapolis or in this neighborhood, but we shouldn't dismiss that Kmart here serves a large demographic, one that may not be represented in this forum.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 2nd, 2014, 2:20 pm

I'm curious, does anyone on here know if Sears/Kmart is still expanding and building new stores or concepts like Target or WalMart? I can see a different concept working here. But it will have to address the price point of the neighborhood. To me, the price point of this neighborhood will be at least, for the next 20 years, more of a Kmart/WalMart vs a Target demographics. Again this is only my opinion as to how fast things will change as far as the groups that will still live in this neighborhood in 20-30 years. I see the neighborhood staying as a vibrant area for the immigrant population. They have started businesses and own buildings, so I think for the next 20 at least they will be the majority in the neighborhood. Not seeing the area as an Uptown east anytime in the near future.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » March 2nd, 2014, 2:33 pm

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... e-troubles

This article sums up the state of Sears today pretty well. All in all it is a disaster and don't expect Sears to be a willing partner in any redevelopment.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 2nd, 2014, 4:20 pm

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... e-troubles

This article sums up the state of Sears today pretty well. All in all it is a disaster and don't expect Sears to be a willing partner in any redevelopment.
Walmart does have smaller concept stores but I am not sure if they are in this part of the US. The biggest bonus about development here is getting the street open not what kind of retails goes in.

twincitizen

Re: Lake & Nicollet Redevelopment (Kmart site)

Postby twincitizen » March 6th, 2014, 11:47 am

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/03/06 ... collet_ave

One question I have for folks here on urbanmsp, the Whittier Alliance, Lisa Bender, etc. is "How many residential units do you envision on this site?"

We have here two full city blocks. 6 stories is a fair assumption, perhaps stepping down to the Greenway and/or including space for a pedestrian promenade and plaza area adjacent to the Greenway. I don't think anyone should automatically rule out anything taller than 6 stories either. If a developer was willing to build higher with concrete for a portion of the site, why not entertain the notion?

Despite it being at a major transit node, I think the site will still incorporate a fair amount of parking. It's hard to see this redevelopment happening without a big-box or big-box lite componenent, as well as a grocery store. Between that and other retail storefronts lining both Nicollet and Lake, enclosed underground parking will certainly be needed, albeit less than just about anywhere in the metro outside of downtown.

As far as residential units go, I think somewhere between 300 and 400 is likely. The two buildings of Elan Phase 2 are about 400 units. Neither block is a complete block, but also those buildings have residential on the ground floor. I'd assume the Nic-Lake redevelopment will not have ground floor residential, except perhaps lining the greenway or 1st Ave. Another big question is what level of rent can be commanded here? Will it be high enough to be realistic for a developer to build market rate apartments? It would be a stretch to say this area needs more affordable housing, but I could see a situation where 20% of the units are designated affordable or something that like, inchange for subsidy or tax abatement from the City and County.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » March 6th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Well, the Whittier Alliance would answer your question with a 0.

I think that realistically any development here is going to need a lot of affordable housing money to pencil out. I dream about getting some HUD capital grants that would allow something with concrete. I'd like to see a tower or two, although that's passe in affordable housing. Why not shoot for something mixed-income in a tower though?

As long as I'm confessing, I don't see anything wrong with In Town on Lake that a facelift couldn't fix. It might help acquisition, though, that huge blocks of their units are owned by investors (specifically the Magnuson Sod guy).
"Who rescued whom!"

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 6th, 2014, 1:01 pm

I think that realistically any development here is going to need a lot of affordable housing money to pencil out. I dream about getting some HUD capital grants that would allow something with concrete. I'd like to see a tower or two, although that's passe in affordable housing. Why not shoot for something mixed-income in a tower though?
I'm not 100% sure if I'm correct... but wasn't Riverside Plaza supposed to be mixed income when they first opened and it was a huge flop of a social experiment?

I actually worked as a leasing consultant for 808 Berry Place in St. Paul years ago and we were mixed 80% market rate 20% section 42 and you wouldn't believe the complains you get from the people who are paying full market rate rent living next door to people paying section 42 rents.