Elan Uptown

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Elan Uptown (all phases) - 2837 Emerson Ave

Postby David Greene » October 28th, 2014, 9:51 am

Townhomes are going for $3605 and $3785. Holy CRAP! I knew they would be pushing $3K but I honestly didn't think it would be pushing $4K!
Wow. I *really* don't understand the pricing of these things. The mortgage for our house is literally half this and the house is obviously a lot bigger. And I bought the house at the peak of the market so you can get something similar in the same neighborhood for much less today. Throw in utilities, maintenance, health club, etc. and it's still way lower than the cost of these units. Go with a smaller house and it's even less. I understand not everyone wants a house but what the heck is in these townhomes and apartments that people pay for?

I'm not really making a judgment, I'm genuinely curious about what people want to pay for.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 28th, 2014, 9:54 am

for a family who moves here for a job and only plansto be in an area for a year or two a house is a risky investment. at lime when we took the tour, they said a lot of the tenants were not native Minnesotans but professionals here for an undetermined amount of time but making bank. if you buy a house and sell 2 years later but then the furnace goes out and you have all sorts of maintenance it probably isn't worth it.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 28th, 2014, 9:58 am

Yeah, just the fact that you're renting has value for some people.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 28th, 2014, 10:09 am

Yes, renting is a better option for a lot of people but renting for *this much?* What exactly are people paying for that they can't get elsewhere?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 28th, 2014, 10:12 am

considering that a couple each making 60k a year would still have 6k free a month after paying that kind of rent... I'm sure it's going to be a great home for plenty of people.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » October 28th, 2014, 10:21 am

considering that a couple each making 60k a year would still have 6k free a month after paying that kind of rent... I'm sure it's going to be a great home for plenty of people.
Which 4k would go towards taxes, and then all your other payments. But I get your point. Also, just think if your company is giving you a housing stipend. If you are from the east coast, you expect to pay over $4k a month. So this isnt all that bad.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » October 28th, 2014, 10:22 am

How do you get 6K free a month? I get about 3500 - 4000 left over for the two of them after rent... which is still plenty in the grand scheme of things.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 28th, 2014, 10:42 am

if your take home was 60k, two people that's 120k a year divided by 12 months is 10k a month minus 4k for rent leaves you with 6k for other expenses.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » October 28th, 2014, 10:45 am

I see, you didn't say take home originally so I did the math to take out taxes which leaves about 95K for the two. Never mind.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 28th, 2014, 10:46 am

Taxes and other stuff that gets taken out of paycheck (health insurance, etc) is probably going to cut off at least a third of that, probably more. So you're taking home 6-7k a month.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 28th, 2014, 10:47 am

I just don't think it's really relevant to talk about salary when it comes to rent for any income bracket, rent cones out of take home pay, just my opinion.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 28th, 2014, 11:21 am

So far none of this answers my question about what people are paying for. The closest I've seen is, "they're ignorant east-coasters being bamboozled by apartment developers," which isn't such a bad things from a schadenfreude perspective, but is ultimately unsatisfying.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » October 28th, 2014, 11:28 am

I'd say they are paying for convenience over anything else. No repair responsibilities, no shoveling, no lawn care, packages accepted for them and delivered for them, concierge service, high class amenity package, location, flexible lease terms, no Realtor to deal with, no long term commitment, no fear of housing bubble bursts, becoming underwater in a loan, feeling stuck in a house you don't want anymore, etc etc etc etc etc.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 28th, 2014, 11:30 am

I'd say they are paying for convenience over anything else. No repair responsibilities, no shoveling, no lawn care, packages accepted for them and delivered for them, concierge service, high class amenity package, location, flexible lease terms, no Realtor to deal with, no long term commitment, no fear of housing bubble bursts, becoming underwater in a loan, feeling stuck in a house you don't want anymore, etc etc etc etc etc.
Out of all that, "concierge service" is the only thing not generally available at other places and even that is available at all of the places along the Greenway.

I guess people just like to spend money for no reason.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 28th, 2014, 11:34 am

Huh? Where are these equivalent yet cheaper options you speak of?
Towns!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 28th, 2014, 11:39 am

Huh? Where are these equivalent yet cheaper options you speak of?
*Any* apartment will get you most of those things. A more expensive place will get you the "high quality amenities" (whatever that is). I admit I haven't been apartment shopping in quite some time but aren't even the other places along the Greenway cheaper than these townhomes? No, they aren't townhomes but flats are probably better for most renters anyway, certainly short-term renters.

Even the apartments along I-94 & Cedar have a swimming pool and it's *indoor.*

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 28th, 2014, 11:50 am

Well sure. But there are people who highly value the townhome advantages as well. Private entrance, no upstairs neighbors (more private in general), attached two car garage, etc.
Towns!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 28th, 2014, 12:05 pm

This just in: some people value things differently than other people

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Out of all that, "concierge service" is the only thing not generally available at other places and even that is available at all of the places along the Greenway.

I guess people just like to spend money for no reason.
they are paying for not accidentally buying a lemon of a house that is a money pit every two years when they have to move for business, but want to live in the city and not an exurb and want to live in New construction. it's pretty clear that in the urban area too get new construction (which some people prefer, surprise) you pay more.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Yeah.. I'll admit upper 3ks seems a bit much to me, at least for only 2 BR with a bonus space off the garage. But keep in mind brand-new 2BR/2BA apartments at Lime with 1,100 sqft are going for ~$2,100. I don't think parking is included in that (fact check me plz), so add in ~$200/mo more. These townhomes have a seaparate entrance, attached/private parking, and ~50% more living space than a traditional apartment, plus an extra half bath. I would guess that renting here includes access to the all Elan amenities?

I don't think I agree with David that prices in the Wedge are "much less" than peak market values - this listing has a 10-year LHE average price trend chart. As of now, they're matching 2007 peak numbers. Especially when you consider pre-2007 interest rates were around 50% higher than today's (making a $300k purchase back then cost more each month than now).

Speaking of that listing, there are 2 townhomes that are listed between $360-380k on the market right now. 2BR, 2-3 BA. ~1,500 sqft, 2 attached parking spaces. About as comparable as they come. I've done the math before on this board, but again. At historically-low interest rates, 20% down, $360k 30 yr loan, mortgage/taxes/association fee comes to $2,180. But you're shilling out $72k up front to do it! At FHA 3.5% down, you're still talking $12.5k up front and $2,720/month. And while the association fee covers outside maintenance, building exterior, etc, you're still on the hook for maintaining everything inside. And if you move, you're on the hook to pay 7% off the sale price.

It's very possible that people are making logical financial decisions for relatively short-term stays (2-3 years) before buying locally or moving again to keep the down payment and spread it out over rent payments. Spreading $72k over 30 monthly payments is $2.4k/mo, bringing a "budget" up to $4,580/mo in the 20% down scenario. More than the advertised rent by quite a bit. So yeah. People make all sorts of decisions all the time.
Last edited by RailBaronYarr on October 28th, 2014, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.