Elan Uptown

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Elan Uptown Phase I - (2837 Dupont Avenue South)

Postby twincitizen » September 16th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Of note in that last photo is A. How good that orange wood paneling looks in person B. Nice effing utility pole view from your $2k/month apartment...do we not bury any electrical utilities in this city?

Orbi
Block E

Postby Orbi » September 16th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Couldn't agree more...paneling looks awesome and why oh why cann't we bury a few power lines around here! It is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. One example that really gets me are the 8 power poles in the little parking lot behind the Espresso Expose building in stadium village. I was so hopeful that they would disappear when they buried the ones on Washington Ave but no. I realize someone has to pay to bury them but at some point doesn't the increase in property value justify it either for the city in terms of increased property taxes or developers in terms of property value/higher rents. Not really sure how it works when they actually are buried.....

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 16th, 2013, 10:00 pm

I like this ESG design better than Mill on Main, It feels more polished overall with a sense of being solid at the base. Love the wood!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 16th, 2013, 10:11 pm

As far as the power lines go, underground lines are about 10x the cost of overhead. I think the city is willing to pay to bury them during street reconstruction (or at least was on Washington), but it can't really do anything about private property, if the owner isn't willing to pay and/or have their property ripped up. Also, padmounted transformers and the clearance they require takes up considerably more room than the "garbage can on a pole" style.

My personal pet peeve is a couple blocks further down Washington, at the Chipotle/Punch building. The distribution lines themselves are buried, but the building owner wouldn't spring for a buried service drop, so the lines come up a single pole out of the sidewalk and run overhead to the building, where they run in a duct back to ground level to where they enter. Looks ridiculous.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 16th, 2013, 10:42 pm

The first-ring suburb I work for, which still has lots of overhead power lines, requires them to be buried in all new development / major redevelopment. I don't see why the City of Minneapolis can't simply strengthen their policies to require the same.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 16th, 2013, 11:00 pm

I (and every portion of Xcel, except probably the accountants), really wish they would. Those major outages earlier this summer would have been minimized with underground lines.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » September 17th, 2013, 5:11 am

Is that multi-colored part of the retaining wall going to remain in its current condition or is it going to have a make over or a paint job?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 17th, 2013, 3:05 pm

It's some sort of wood, or wood imitation product, it would be hard to know the lifespan without figuring out exactly what they used.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Elan Uptown Phase II - (center and west blocks)

Postby Wedgeguy » September 21st, 2013, 10:25 am

Not sure what is going on with the old Lumber yard parking lot. If that is just a staging area for the time being, with some townhouses or 4 story apartment build as a very end of the phase.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 22nd, 2013, 2:59 pm

I thought the entire Lumber Yard was becoming Elan Uptown: Phases I, II, and III -- all three blocks?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 2nd, 2013, 9:31 am

YEs all 3 blocks of the Old lumber yard are Elan of Uptown. Like I say I assume that the old parking lot for the store is at present being used as a staging area that will eventually get built on. But they may use that lot as a guest parking for all I know. Time will tell. I have not seen an area plan for how things will be laid out.

There is now stick construction on the west side of the center development.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 3rd, 2013, 11:22 am

Site Plan (rudimentary): download/file.php?id=794&mode=view

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 3rd, 2013, 2:31 pm

Site Plan (rudimentary): download/file.php?id=794&mode=view
Thanks you for that link. My opinion is the north 3 small buildings will be done in the future. These are basically on the parking lot that is not being dug up. I see the 2 larger building being the ones that are having foundation works.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » October 11th, 2013, 7:26 am

Stick construction is starting to go up on the middle parcel. Excited to see this one finished.

Also, about that site plan - am I reading that correctly that the promenade north of the Greenway will stop short of Phase II? That wouldn't make any sense, would it?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 11th, 2013, 10:35 am

that site plan was specifically for phase I... and just foot printing phase II... the renderings clearly show the promenade bridge and plaza continuing all the way through

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 11th, 2013, 3:53 pm

The promenade will start at Flux on the west and go to Track 29 on the east. To get to Hennepin or Lyndale you will have to cut thru some parking lots to get to them.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 12th, 2013, 2:35 pm

A 15.5 mile bike ride in the chilly wind but got some good pics.

Elan II 10-12-13 by bapster2006, on Flickr

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 13th, 2013, 3:10 pm

There are finally tenants in the east building, not sure about the north as there still seems to be a lot of work being done. With continued good weather they might be able to get the courtyard and pool area finished before the snow falls. Not sure about any plantings, they may have to wait until spring.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 18th, 2013, 8:19 am

Yesterdays walk revealed that they have started the second story of stick on the west building of the center project. This may start to move pretty quickly as they try to beat the snow and ice to get as much up and enclosed as possible before winter truly strikes. From the greenway I could not tell how they are doing with the foundation work for the parking section under the north building.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 23rd, 2013, 2:51 pm

Update: They are well along on the second story of stick on the west building of the central block. Looks like they are doing the same build out pattern that they used with phase one, west, east, and then north buildings.