Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby xandrex » November 30th, 2015, 4:18 pm

Looks like Franklin Street Bakery is closing (the retail portion, that is): http://www.franklinstreetbakeryretail.c ... rising.pdf

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 30th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Didn't they just have some big battle last year with the city about illegal parking?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 1st, 2015, 9:04 am

Meeting about the building on the southwest corner of 4th & 38th on December 10th:

https://www.facebook.com/events/964339846938615/

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » December 1st, 2015, 9:24 am

Meeting about the building on the southwest corner of 4th & 38th on December 10th:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be there.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » December 7th, 2015, 12:49 pm

The only threads for Minneapolis restaurants is Downtown and Uptown so I'll post here.

The Blue Nile just closed after 30+ years of operation:

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/br ... ed-7883258

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » December 7th, 2015, 1:19 pm

The only threads for Minneapolis restaurants is Downtown and Uptown so I'll post here.

The Blue Nile just closed after 30+ years of operation:

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/br ... ed-7883258
Looks like the owners hope the closing is temporary.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 7th, 2015, 1:31 pm

Some of the 30 years must have been at a different location, because I remember eating Mexican food at that location when I was in college, and I'm not that old.

I've had some really good times at the Blue Nile, but it always seemed a little sketchy. I always get nervous ordering food at a place that doesn't seem to be selling very much food...

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » December 7th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Some of the 30 years must have been at a different location, because I remember eating Mexican food at that location when I was in college, and I'm not that old.

I've had some really good times at the Blue Nile, but it always seemed a little sketchy. I always get nervous ordering food at a place that doesn't seem to be selling very much food...
Weren't they located at Lyn-Lake originally?

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » December 11th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be there.
Due to a last minute work commitment, I wasn't able to attend. Anybody else make it?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 11th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Anyone noticed footings for new street lighting along Chicago from about 39th St north? Wonder what's up with that.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 16th, 2015, 10:34 am

I live about a block away from Cap's Restaurant at 50th & Hiawatha. The owner mentioned his plans/intentions of bringing on a brewer (they currently don't serve any alcohol) and making it into a brew pub a few months back. He plans to build a new 2-story building in the current parking lot, overlooking the light rail station and Minnehaha Park. Then demolition the existing restaurant for the new parking lot. I didn't post anything at the time, since he mentioned that it may take a while.

Well I'm happy to report that there's a neighborhood meeting scheduled for 5pm on 12/16 to review his plans!
https://www.facebook.com/events/111729252528272/

I can't wait to check this out. He's focusing on sustainability and really making it a new destination place for the neighborhood. I'm excited.

Meeting is tonight.
http://growlermag.com/mill-caps-grille- ... e-brewpub/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » December 16th, 2015, 11:39 am

Initial concepts are available for parks in the South Service Area Master Plan and they are asking for ideas and input.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XDYQXCH

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 16th, 2015, 1:53 pm

I live about a block away from Cap's Restaurant at 50th & Hiawatha. The owner mentioned his plans/intentions of bringing on a brewer (they currently don't serve any alcohol) and making it into a brew pub a few months back. He plans to build a new 2-story building in the current parking lot, overlooking the light rail station and Minnehaha Park. Then demolition the existing restaurant for the new parking lot. I didn't post anything at the time, since he mentioned that it may take a while.

Well I'm happy to report that there's a neighborhood meeting scheduled for 5pm on 12/16 to review his plans!
https://www.facebook.com/events/111729252528272/

I can't wait to check this out. He's focusing on sustainability and really making it a new destination place for the neighborhood. I'm excited.

Meeting is tonight.
http://growlermag.com/mill-caps-grille- ... e-brewpub/
Cap’s Grille plans bigger restaurant and microbrewery
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ewery.html

Sad that it's still a year or two away. But as a neighbor, we will be there tonight in full support of Brett's plans! Not to mention once it opens too.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 17th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Good information at the Nokomis East Neighborhood meeting for Cap's future plans.
Plans are very fluid right now, as they can't really do too much work on the project yet - as it's technically illegal.
Due to not being a part of 7 contiguous blocks of retail in order to be able produce beer. However, the City Council is fully supportive of the amendment they'll need form the Legislature, and hope to have it attached to some liquor omnibus bill in spring. Overall, everyone seems hopeful that it'll be an easy thing to achieve.

Assuming that happens, the plan would be to build a 110 seat restaurant, with an outdoor second level patio overlooking 50th, Minnehaha Park and the light rail platform, that would seat another 40. There would be a 10 tank beer production area, with a main bar, a party room and a lower level bar area. To achieve this, there will be a reduction in parking from their current 20 spaces to 13. Brett, the owner, is looking to add solar voltaic to the entire roof. And, in his words, he wants the building to be incredibly cool looking and warm/inviting on the inside. The designs in the Business Journal were just one set that he's gotten. He has several people looking to help him on this project - including the people behind the Ice House designs.

He's hopeful that should the amendment pass the legislature in spring, he'd secure financing in summer and have an updated time frame for the construction of the new brew pub shortly thereafter.

The immediate neighbors and most everyone in attendance at the event were very supportive.
This cannot get done soon enough.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 17th, 2015, 2:34 pm

What is the actual amendment? Would it affect other areas of the city as well?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 17th, 2015, 2:52 pm

What is the actual amendment? Would it affect other areas of the city as well?
Not certain, but it seemed that the amendment would be just for Cap's specifically. Council Member Johnson, who was there, would know more.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 17th, 2015, 3:01 pm

There has been some precedent of legislation that specifically allows parcels of land to sell liquor. The Driftwood on Nicollet and Cafe Maude are the two examples I can think of off the top of my head.

Parking: It's their prerogative to reduce the lot, but this is an area that's got very little immediately adjacent street parking (due to Hiawatha, LRT, etc.) and neighbors who are very protective of the parking that's there.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 17th, 2015, 3:12 pm

There has been some precedent of legislation that specifically allows parcels of land to sell liquor. The Driftwood on Nicollet and Cafe Maude are the two examples I can think of off the top of my head.
These were mentioned as examples last night.
Parking: It's their prerogative to reduce the lot, but this is an area that's got very little immediately adjacent street parking (due to Hiawatha, LRT, etc.) and neighbors who are very protective of the parking that's there.
Actually, they were given extra land, that they used as parking after the land swap with Met Council when the light rail line was built. Brett said they aren't worried about losing some of the parking, since it was more than they ever really needed. And even if there are a few local residents who are unhappy about on-street parking being used for LRT riders (and possible future brew pub patrons) - it's never been a contentious issue, like elsewhere along the line.

Mostly because the stretch of Hiawatha Ave. both north of 50th and south of Cap's parking lot, along the sound wall on the other side of the rails, allows for ample parking that none of the residents need or use. I walk past a few dozen cars who park along this wall and take the train every day. It's never caused neighborhood concerns. In fact, most everyone on our block appreciates it. As it means more eyes on the street.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 17th, 2015, 3:31 pm

Also seems like some parcels in this area are ripe for TOD, such as the NENA garden across 50th from Caps.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 17th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Interesting. I didn't know they would do that. Also I just assumed the Char Bar was grandfathered in or something. Didn't realize they just opened in 2007. Why/how were they able to get an amendment passed for them? Anyway, thanks for the insight.