Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » December 17th, 2015, 3:55 pm

I too thought Driftwood was grandfathered. It was on Bill Lindeke's south Minneapolis Dive Bar Bike Tour a few years ago, and the story was that it was a long established dive bar (under a different name). Then again, there is such a thing as beer-only dive bars too (see Cedar Inn), so I suppose historically it could've been one of those and only recently gained the ability to sell liquor.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 17th, 2015, 4:10 pm

From what I've heard, it's actually the property addresses that are written into state law with exemptions. Thus, selling a property (such as Pepitos or the old Skyway Lanes or whatever preceded Driftwood) has value in its ability to offer a full bar.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 17th, 2015, 11:37 pm

Matt's right, it goes with the property, not the business. As for the Driftwood, it was the establishment that preceded it (can't remember the name now) that had lobbied for and received the liquor license exemption. It did not have a grandfathered liquor license.

Uptown46
Metrodome

Postby Uptown46 » December 17th, 2015, 11:40 pm

Westrum's Tavern!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 18th, 2015, 10:45 am

Shit, how did I forget Westy's?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 18th, 2015, 11:04 am

It's crazy that this needs legislative action.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » December 18th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Got a parent e-mail about a proposal to move Northrop Elementary from 3-Kindergarten classes to 4, and to ramp the 4-classes up through the levels as they age. No notice about definite new construction plans, but I can't see shoehorning that many students into the existing building.

Didn't we just recently close a bunch of Minneapolis schools due to declining enrollment? This "Northrop" school isn't even in Northrop, it's Ericcson for Pete's sake (and the school that used to be Northrop is finishing off its construction/expansion).

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 5th, 2016, 12:48 pm

MAN this chaps my hide:

https://en-us.seeclickfix.com/issues/2133766

Fully cleared parking lot, neglected sidewalk. 47th and Chicago Wells Fargo.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 5th, 2016, 1:19 pm

MAN this chaps my hide:

https://en-us.seeclickfix.com/issues/2133766

Fully cleared parking lot, neglected sidewalk. 47th and Chicago Wells Fargo.
Yeah, the Caribou at Cedar and the parkway has a tendency to be that way too.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 11th, 2016, 12:28 pm

Great vacant corner lot for sale, Nicollet & 34th: http://www.edinarealty.com/landlots-for ... -154655217

Recommended strategy: buy and hold, try to acquire adjacent house or two (reaching the alley), sell to developer once the Kmart thing is further along.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 11th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Who's in with me? I could do about 25% of it.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 11th, 2016, 12:36 pm

$150,000 is a bargain.

zlkahn
Metrodome

Postby zlkahn » January 12th, 2016, 11:45 am

Does anyone know whats going on at the corner of 28th & Nicollet at Marissa's Bakery. Just drove by to pick up Quang last night and noticed what looked like heavy construction on the 28th St side as well as some boarded up windows on Nicollet Ave as well. Looked like they were still open?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 12th, 2016, 11:56 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 12th, 2016, 12:33 pm

I think I saw it in the Whittier Business meeting minutes that were linked to recently... nobody mentioned it, but...

Looks like Zeus Jones is moving into the building at 2429 Nicollet (the PDF says 2419, but then they call it the Little Saigon building, which is 2429). It's a big building, not sure how much of the space they're planning on taking. But it's telling -- that's definitely not a location that a major creative company would have given a look until recently.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » January 14th, 2016, 11:31 am

Great vacant corner lot for sale, Nicollet & 34th: http://www.edinarealty.com/landlots-for ... -154655217

Recommended strategy: buy and hold, try to acquire adjacent house or two (reaching the alley), sell to developer once the Kmart thing is further along.
I helped start the garden that is currently on that vacant lot. I dream about acquiring the adjacent houses to the alley all the time. They one closest to Nicollet is in crummy shape.

I want to put together a deal to buy the property and eventually assemble a parcel to resell to a developer. I just need the money, and it looks like some folks are willing to part with it to make something similar happen. Let's make a deal. I'm being totally serious - PM me.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » January 15th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Just saw a recent post by the Minneapolis Bike Coalition about planning for another greenway in South Minneapolis. This would be great to implement, but it would be even better if they worked to improve and connect to the existing RiverLake Greenway also.

http://www.mplsbike.org/positive_first_ ... inneapolis

Existing Riverlake Greenway

Proposed South Minneapolis Greenway

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 15th, 2016, 10:18 pm

If you look closely, the lateral portion between Segments 2 and 3 is 40th Street.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 17th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Am I the only one that thinks that this is not where we should be focusing efforts to completely remake a street like this? At least under the major umbrella of bike infrastructure. S Mpls has Park/Portland (slated to become protected bikeways), the Hiawatha trail, and the river trail for N-S bike infra. Add to that the Midtown Greenway and Minnehaha Creek trail and you've got a pretty great grid of protected or off-street trails.

I really like the idea of converting more streets to usable space for people with grass, trees, etc connecting major parks. Maybe it's just the messaging of it? Like, if this project costs $25 million does it cause more damage to city-wide bike infra support?

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 18th, 2016, 3:37 pm

Am I the only one that thinks that this is not where we should be focusing efforts to completely remake a street like this? At least under the major umbrella of bike infrastructure. S Mpls has Park/Portland (slated to become protected bikeways), the Hiawatha trail, and the river trail for N-S bike infra. Add to that the Midtown Greenway and Minnehaha Creek trail and you've got a pretty great grid of protected or off-street trails.
Segment 4 looks like it IS Portland and Segment 3 could be Park so perhaps this is integrating the earlier proposal and making it more comprehensive.

I lived down there near Diamond Lake in grad school and biking to the Hiawatha line to hop on the train was...not great if you were interested in the speed of commute (which I was). Obviously it is quite an angle to get back to downtown. It's not very efficient. This proposal appears to take the most direct route from south Minneapolis to downtown. This proposal represents a true north/south counterpart to the Midtown Greenway.
I really like the idea of converting more streets to usable space for people with grass, trees, etc connecting major parks. Maybe it's just the messaging of it? Like, if this project costs $25 million does it cause more damage to city-wide bike infra support?
I understand where you are coming from. From a selfish standpoint of someone who lives down there, I'd be ecstatic with this but it's important for the city to look at bike infrastructure comprehensively.