Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
PhilmerPhil

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby PhilmerPhil » February 18th, 2015, 4:18 pm

^That's a pretty bad rendering. Pretty sure most of us could pull that one off...

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 18th, 2015, 4:48 pm

I'm 90% sure that's going to be orangy/peachy stucco-ish for the exterior finish. The new Walgreens on Lyndale and 54th is finished as such and looks rather ridiculous. Granted, it was a rehabbed Borton Volvo building and not a brand new one, but I can't imagine Walgreens putting actual brick or brick veneer on a throwaway box.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » February 19th, 2015, 10:13 am

The 30 year old trees look nice...

Side note, does anyone know if because of the drive thru, the city would require (or even demand) less parking?

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » February 19th, 2015, 2:41 pm

So I've been checking the PropertyInfo page (specifically the Inspection Permits section) for 4020 East Lake St. for the last month or so and this is now in there. Does anyone know what "FOOD PLAN REVIEW RISK 1: NEW" means?

sad panda
Metrodome

Postby sad panda » February 20th, 2015, 6:30 am

It means a new 1000-3000 sq ft restaurant is looking to open.

The $478 is a Food Establishment Plan Review Fee, New Business Risk 1 Establishment, 1,001 to 3,000 sq. ft

Risk Levels are as follows:
Risk 1: Potentially hazardous foods that require extensive processing including but not limited to handling,
cooling, reheating, holding for service, and/or advanced preparation.
Risk 2: Foods that require minimal holding time, less extensive processing, but extensive handling.
Examples include meat market, fast food, bakery, pizza shop, or a facility that serves a large volume of foods.
Risk 3: Foods that do not meet Risk 1 or Risk 2 criteria such as prepackaged food items: pop, chips, candy,
frozen treats, canned goods, bottled milk, for example.

Review process: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/health/ins ... lan-review

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » February 20th, 2015, 9:39 am

Thanks, I guess I could have searched for that term on the city's site myself, call me lazy. So looking at a couple of other restaurants that have recently opened in the area, they had similar plan review fees filed around 3 to 5 months before opening. This place is asking to basically double in size, so maybe a new restaurant by fall if we're lucky?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 21st, 2015, 4:23 pm

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... S1P-137761
Item 2: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 137656.pdf
In 2013, 1919 10th Avenue South was demolished. It was turned into an illegal parking lot. They are now requesting zoning "to allow a temporary parking lot." Temporary parking lots are how cities decay from the inside out. Consider submitting a comment expressing concern at this plan.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 21st, 2015, 4:43 pm

Why? Franklin Ave Bakery is a business which needs all the help it can get, and it isn't as though there is a shortage of developable land anywhere near here. The parking lot around is nicely landscaped (a nice example of what the city would love to happen downtown) and sits directly adjacent to an existing industrial-zoned strip of land for the loading docks. Denying the permit would do nothing good here.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » February 26th, 2015, 8:05 am

Why? Franklin Ave Bakery is a business which needs all the help it can get, and it isn't as though there is a shortage of developable land anywhere near here. The parking lot around is nicely landscaped (a nice example of what the city would love to happen downtown) and sits directly adjacent to an existing industrial-zoned strip of land for the loading docks. Denying the permit would do nothing good here.
I sort of agree. Even if they remove the parking area there is still a huge loading dock which I assume was approved by the city. However, there seems to be ample parking in the area and they probably could have come to an agreement for sharing spots with another business.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 26th, 2015, 11:41 am

I think it would be better to require a larger setback from the neighboring property and additional greenspace on the streetface. The parking spaces are perpendicular to the alley, using the alley as egress, so there's no reason they couldn't put it a ten foot planted buffer in addition to the 6' fence. Even an Expedition could comfortably park and maneuver.
Better yet, make the alley a one way exiting on 11th and the spaces diagonal.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 10th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Nice write-up about Forage Modern Workshop on East Lake with a wink to the work going on with the old Taco Bell across the street.
http://design-milk.com/visit-forage-modern-workshop/

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 10th, 2015, 8:44 pm

A few pictures of the progress with the old Taco Bell at 4020 East Lake St.

1) All too familiar image of a vacant property

2) Off comes the Taco Bell spanish roof

3) Next, outdoor dining, the walls come tumbling down.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 10th, 2015, 10:09 pm

Is there any idea out there as to what may go here??

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 11th, 2015, 7:02 am

They're keeping the details to themselves for now. The Forage manager mentions the project in the interview posted above, "We also have a really exciting real estate project we are working on that I can’t share the details but it’ll be across the street from us and totally amazing." Brownsmith Restoration did the Blue Door Longfellow and the Parka/Dogwood Coffee/Forage space, both nicely done, so I have high hopes for whatever it is.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 11th, 2015, 7:32 am

Oh okay, but it sounds like another retail space or restaurant, and not an apartment or office building, right? I realize the details are fuzzy at best but I'm trying to get an idea of what the scope might be.

bronco-guy-24
Block E

Postby bronco-guy-24 » March 11th, 2015, 7:45 am

As weird as it sounds I over heard the owners talking about it in Dogwood, they were talking about some kind of turtle emporium/event center for kids birthday parties that involved turtles and food. It seems like the City has a problem mixing live amphibians and a restaurant - not sure bout that

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » March 11th, 2015, 11:35 am

The old Parkway Pizza building (4457 42nd Ave South) to re-open as DiNoko's Pizza. On April 1st. http://www.dinokos.com/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 12th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Not sure if it's threadworthy yet, but 3403 38th Ave S...
Andy Bare on behalf of Key Funding LLC will be presenting plans for a proposed
mixed use multifamily development at 3403 38th Avenue South at NDC on Wednesday
March 18th frome 6:30 to 8:00 at Lake Coffee House (3223 E Lake St.)
http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/mp ... E2cL9fxk7G

This is currently a vacant lot across from Longfellow Park, 4 blocks west of Turtle Bread.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 17th, 2015, 10:24 am

Cool project for one of the MCAD dorms at 2540 3rd Ave S: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 138863.pdf

I like seeing these recladding projects popping up to make a building look more modern. And it especially works at an art institute.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 17th, 2015, 10:32 am

Cool project for one of the MCAD dorms at 2540 3rd Ave S: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 138863.pdf
Smaller windows? That seems odd.