Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » June 28th, 2015, 9:41 pm

Where? The old rental furnishings place on the NW corner?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 28th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Yes. Its called Good grocer and apparently its sort of a food shelf/grocery store. Here's a story http://www.murphynewsservice.org/?p=1966

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » June 29th, 2015, 2:03 pm

New restaurant "Ramen Kazama" coming to 34th & Nicollet:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... urant.html

Great to see the continuing redevelopment of south Nicollet Ave!!!

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » July 8th, 2015, 8:18 am

A Fresh Market is going in at the old Best Food Market space at Nicollet and 38th.
Fresh Market opened on Monday, 7/6. Walked through this morning. It's a HUGE improvement over Best Food Market. Certainly feels "fresh". They're still building inventory and the exterior signage isn't up yet.

I wonder if it'll survive with Seward Coop opening soon a few blocks away and with the Mercado across the street. Granted, the Mercado is a specialty ethnic food store and the coop generally sells healthier options. Seems like it more directly competes with the gas station at Nicollet and 35th. Denser housing like the proposed mixed use at Nicollet and 36th would certainly help.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 17th, 2015, 9:53 am

Do we have this project on here yet? Looks like a great addition, and would extend retail further down 26th.

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... th-stevens

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 17th, 2015, 10:04 am

Do we have this project on here yet? Looks like a great addition, and would extend retail further down 26th.

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... th-stevens
I just read my SWJ and this is the first I've seen of it. Not sure they have a name for it yet, but it sure sounds like a go, and the hood wants a more daring design, go figure. But glad to hear that they want some flash in the design.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 17th, 2015, 10:19 am

YES. 26th has some nice, dense old buildings along here and the makings of a great street. This lot has bothered me for years.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 19th, 2015, 1:51 pm

Oh damn. Didn't even notice where this was until right now! All I can say is yes! I've been hoping to see the "Eat Street" area really turn into a large commercial node. Stevens has some beautiful buildings that could use some loving as well

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.955048, ... 6656?hl=en

I think we could even see new retail moving all the way down to the MCAD sculpture garden at some point here.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 19th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Does 26th St being a one way impact the commercial viability of this node?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 19th, 2015, 5:31 pm

I'd have to say no, as Stevens and 1st are very heavily traveled streets. Many people turn to go south from 26th there so there is a lot of traffic. Also if people have that hard of time walking 2 blocks off Nicollet then I don't know how they can walk up at least 2 blocks on Eat Street after finding a place to park. It's proximity to the MIA and MCAD, will also be a plus for those on that side of Nicollet. How many Wells Fargo Mortgage people will drive by it every day on their way home from work. Maybe the fact that I walk 8 blocks to the grocery store makes me think that 2 blocks is not a long distance to walk to support a business. Most will walk farther than that when they are in a shopping mall for sure.

It will make filling the street front of 26th between 1st and Stevens, on the same side of the street a priority. But maybe it will be the catalyst to getting those underutilized sections of ground redeveloped.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 20th, 2015, 9:02 am

^If 26th and 28th were two-way streets in this area, it would shorten the distance between parking ramps and the freeway and reduce overall lane-mile demand for urban streets.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 20th, 2015, 10:08 am

Would there be room for protected bike lanes through Whittier and the Wedge if 26th/28th were converted to two-way? I kinda doubt it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 20th, 2015, 10:12 am

Yes, as long as they were 2-3 lane two-ways.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 20th, 2015, 10:33 am

Let's not beat this bead horse another time. We have pages and pages of this already and we don't need to fill more pages with this subject that has been over talked. The horse is dead, rigamortius has set in. Please bury this subject once and for all.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 20th, 2015, 10:52 am

The new striping on 26th/28th is merely an overdue first step towards having a street that enhances rather than detracts from the neighborhood it serves. There's more room for enhancement, and now IS the time to be discussing since we have a future rebuild of 35W across both of these streets in the near-term.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 20th, 2015, 11:07 am

The new striping on 26th/28th is merely an overdue first step towards having a street that enhances rather than detracts from the neighborhood it serves. There's more room for enhancement, and now IS the time to be discussing since we have a future rebuild of 35W across both of these streets in the near-term.
Then take it to the transportation site, as many of us are done with this subject. This is about development projects and not transportation. The subject before it was hijacked again was about retail and apartments for the Eat Street district at Stevens and 26th. Please stay on subject!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 21st, 2015, 9:04 am

The subject before it was hijacked again was about retail and apartments for the Eat Street district at Stevens and 26th.
I'd have to say no, as Stevens and 1st are very heavily traveled streets. Many people turn to go south from 26th there so there is a lot of traffic. Also if people have that hard of time walking 2 blocks off Nicollet then I don't know how they can walk up at least 2 blocks on Eat Street after finding a place to park. It's proximity to the MIA and MCAD, will also be a plus for those on that side of Nicollet. How many Wells Fargo Mortgage people will drive by it every day on their way home from work. Maybe the fact that I walk 8 blocks to the grocery store makes me think that 2 blocks is not a long distance to walk to support a business. Most will walk farther than that when they are in a shopping mall for sure.

It will make filling the street front of 26th between 1st and Stevens, on the same side of the street a priority. But maybe it will be the catalyst to getting those underutilized sections of ground redeveloped.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 21st, 2015, 12:39 pm

Thanks for your 2 cents there MAtt

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 21st, 2015, 12:46 pm

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 3rd, 2015, 1:19 pm

Noticed a multiple level parking ramp going up midblock between Pleasant and Pillsbury just north of Lake Street and near the Somali mall. Not sure if this is mall or district parking or private parking?